Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ARGGHHHH! HOW DO I FOCUS?!  (Read 1823 times)

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ARGGHHHH! HOW DO I FOCUS?!
« on: March 21, 2013, 06:58:05 pm »

I can't stay focused on schoolwork. Whenever I start doing it I find a distraction factor (Internet, friends, even a simple pencil) and start abusing it for time-wasting purposes, sometimes unconciously.
See? It's happening even now - I'm making a new thread instead of getting things done.

How do you guys focus on important stuff?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: ARGGHHHH! HOW DO I FOCUS?!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 07:28:35 pm »

I take what I do seriously, and I let the fear of negative consequences keep me on task. It's not the best way to stay focused and motivated but it's certainly one way. I want good outcomes and I make myself responsible for getting them. That translates into guilt when I'm not doing something I should be, and I quit screwing around as much.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 07:40:26 pm »

At some point in the last ten years , I was a serious student. As was many of my friends, some of which now have Dr. in front of their name. The tips I give may not be necessary for you, as not everyone has to do really, really serious studying. But, should you or someone else on this forum have to do it....

1) Find a distraction free environment or make one for studying.
You have already identified things that distract you... the internet... your friends.... so start there.
Don't study in groups, and when you are studying, move away from your computer. Move into a different part of your house/apartment, one that you don't particularly like or find interesting.

Even if it means spending a significant amount of time in commuting, a distraction free environment is absolutely critical to getting studying done. The idea is, you need to put yourself in a place so boring, that your only choice is to getting through your studying to get the heck out of there.

When I was in college, I did this by retreating to some of the worst places on campus. I spent countless hours in a poorly lit basement vending machine area (which was visited by almost nobody), a computer lab that was empty after 5PM, and library areas as far from the main pathways as possible.

2)Homework is not the same as studying. Homework isn't always about skill mastery, it's sometimes just a waste of time.You use study time to master skills or memorize things, not do the repetitious "busy work".

Homework is something that can be done in the presence of distractions. You can do a few math problems, do some basic research, or type a paper with the TV/internet on. If you really find it hard to finish your homework, then the best thing you can do is squeeze it in the small intervals of time you have between tasks. This will keep your mind fresh and you'll be far more likely to finish the whole assignment.

I typically did homework immediately before and after lunch, as well as between classes. Everyone has a "down" time in between work/school and evening meal - try to capitalize on this time. These small intervals are key because hey, you can't really do anything else in these short periods of time... it's not like you can watch an entire episode of TV or play a dozen missions in your current video game of choice in 20 minutes.

3) Cellphone off while studying, no exceptions. This is time for your own mental development, and nothing else. If your friends seriously don't like this policy, then this should be cause for pause. Choose your company wisely. Your future success can be directly affected by your friends.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:04:22 pm by Mullet Master »

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 07:47:10 pm »

Man, this is a very familiar issue to me, to the point that i thought i had ADD for a while. Basically the only real way i get myself going is to give myself a metaphorical slap and say "ok i am going to do this now". But you know what else is a great motivation factor? The fact that, once you're done with your work for the day, you can do exactly what you want to do in the remaining hours, and not feel guilty about procrastinating. Believe me, when i'm faced with a boring task, my train of thought is basically derailed before i begin, but some things just have to be done. You can have fun afterwards, and it'll feel even better because you need to chill out after doing boring stuff!

ninjaedit: also Mullet Master offers some supreme advice.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 09:59:28 pm »

If you can't will yourself to do work when necessary it's time to consider a medical option because you're a likely candidate for ADHD. If you find yourself getting distracted even from things you want to do (i.e. not just some responsibility) then you should still consider yourself a candidate for ADHD, although if it's not seriously interrupting your life you may opt to avoid medication.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 10:22:41 pm »

My school provides accessibility for anyone thats diagnosed with ADHD and you get basically a hound tutor, extra time for work, and once a week counseling to keep you on track. Its why im getting my status reaffirmed cause im sick of failing my classes, can't say im a non-productive person mooching off since i work fairly high up in my industry just school is a freaking brick wall, i make money and pay taxes, at least help me please.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 10:39:08 pm »

Structuring rewards for yourself can work for some people. You need a tiny bit of willpower, but basically don't allow yourself to do a particular thing you want to do, until after you've got a certain amount of the thing you need to do completed. Make the reward something you already enjoy, but restructure things so you're used to doing whatever it is after achieving something.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 03:08:25 am »

Meditation class has helped me a lot.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 11:59:04 am »

I gave up a long, long time ago.  I do things that I believe are interesting and are easy.  If you make the homework interesting and easy, then I do it.  So, suck it up and do it regardless, or eventually reform education to make homework easier and more enjoyable.  Option one does not work as well as two.  Your probably stuck with option one, not two, but still. 

Of course, somehow I've sat there staring at the screen of a computer for many hours more then I should have, watching a simple little simulation of a bunch of dots.  So, another technique is to think beyond your homework and look at the scope of it, but then you'll realize how pointless homework is in the scope of the entire universe.  The only homework that I can deal with is reading.  Then at least you are learning something new. 

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 01:32:10 pm »

I use a strategy of rapid multitasking if I find myself avoiding work. Do a little bit of several things you want to do, and then stick homework in there somewhere.

This may not work out for you though, since it involves a lot of mental juggling. My strategy ends up with things like reading a few sentences from an SCP story, changing my background music, turning off my background music to watch a couple minutes of a Lets Play, writing one or two sentences for the paper I don't want to do, change background music again, play a round on a flash game, change music, post on Bay 12, change music, write two sentences...

Of course, if you can't keep all this straight it is useless.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 01:33:48 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 02:28:21 pm »

I took the advice you guys gave me a managed to create this essay:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I sense a good grade.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 03:55:28 pm by Sigulbard »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 09:21:41 pm »

Focus is a limited brain chemical in the same vein as self control.

The obvious solution is to do whatever you want with very little restraint.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 04:11:05 am »

I have this issue. i just find myself completely unable to focus on anything I'm not interested in/see as pointlees. Which is not helpful. the worrying thing is that no matter what i cannot find any way to motivate myself to do it. Luckily i'm naturally good in class and get top grades without the work, but it doesn't help when the teachers end up yelling at you purely because they have to to keep things fair.
 However, I'm perfectly happy to work when I find it interesting - my research homeworks tend to be good as long as they are open, because then I can do whatever I want. i just find myself physically incapable of doing something i don't find interesting.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 11:07:04 am »

I took the advice you guys gave me a managed to create this essay:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I sense a good grade.

Hey, if your teacher is into Postmodernism, I think you won't have to do anything for a good grade anymore until the end of the year.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 04:18:49 pm »

1. Turn off all room lights around you.
2. Turn on desk lamp
3. Put on headphones and listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoUXbEgJMXM

You have now properly prepared yourself to concentrate for 46 minutes and 22 seconds.
Pages: [1] 2