Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need a faster browser  (Read 4301 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need a faster browser
« on: March 22, 2013, 04:32:20 am »

I'm having real problems due to using a shared internet network, when low bandwidth is available it makes firefox extremely unresponsive to the point i have to shut the entire thing down and can't even switch to other open tabs properly. Anyone got tips on improving browser responsiveness, or recommendations for other lighter-weight browsers which support tabs?

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need a faster browser
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 05:42:53 am »

I use Google Chrome. I know it sounds like "Oh, yeah, Chrome, tell me something I don't know," but Chrome is my preferred browser for a good reason. I also used Firefox before, but Chrome looks 'cleaner,' is simple, and is faster.

You know, unless you're one of those people who don't use Google services because they think Google invades their privacy or something.

*edit* And again, seems like internet problems are life problems now
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 05:46:56 am by Sigulbard »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 08:16:31 am »

Problems in general are life problems.

And I second Chrome.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 10:59:13 am »

Plus, if you're worried about Google snooping, Chromium doesn't get snooped, afaik.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 12:14:00 pm »

Install Adblock plus...  Will reduce the amount of data sent down the line by 90% + in most situations.

No point downloading 4x video adverts and 20x flash adverts on each page just to read some text on a website.

Will also get rid of those popup or unskippable 30 second video adverts on Youtube.

It even makes your pc much safer too since almost all virus infections from the internet come through rogue advert scripts.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 12:21:42 pm by foil »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 10:00:06 pm »

Yeah, I already AdBlock, and i used to use Chrome, but switched to FireFox because there were certain plug-ins i needed which were not available for Chrome, i guess i can give Chrome another try. I was really hoping there was some other "pedal to the metal" browser to pick from that I didn't know about.

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 12:53:20 pm »

I would also say Chrome, but if you hate Flash crashing every-so-often, I'd suggest 'Opera'.  It's fast and has all the snazzy features I never use that Firefox delivers, as well as having a beautiful name. 

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 04:50:57 pm »

Fast, I'd say Opera, without any doubt.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 05:46:45 am »

If I want speed, I use Comodo Dragon. It's forked from Chromium, but it's much safer for use, and it's free.

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 03:17:24 am »

Internet Explorer...
*gets sniped*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 05:03:12 am »

Well, I'm trying out Chrome already, but the lack of support for the basic plug-in features that caused me to switch to FireFox, are still a problem for me:

specifically, the ability to automatically keep trying to reload a dead page. I'm on a WiFi network with a large number of other people, and the access cuts in and out so pages often fail to load, with FireFox i could be sure of only needing to click a link once, and it just loads after a while, but with Chrome i have to constantly switch tabs and try and reload pages manually over and over again. Which really pisses me off. If anyone knows a fix for this I'd be happy to hear it.

Anyway, I'm going to try some plug-ins for FireFox that are supposed to speed things up, and see how that goes instead, since I'm not really getting the features I want in Chrome at all.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 06:43:02 am »

You need to fix the "I'm on a WiFi network with a large number of other people", its not a browser issue but the fact you are sharing internet with many people who might be downloading or streaming all the time.

If theres no spare bandwidth on the line then you wont be able to use it properly, changing the browser wont change how much load other people are putting on the line.

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 08:56:08 am »

Browsers won't change your speed. But I go with Firefox.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 08:57:01 am »

That's not the issue i was complaining about!

1. firefox with a small plug-in can automatically try and reload a page if there's a bad connection. Chrome just cannot do this at all. No plug-in for Chrome gives this function. It makes it much easier to use FireFox on the laggy connection because i can load a page in another tab, while I'm reading something else. With Chrome i constantly have to switch to the other page and manually hit refresh. In this area, FireFox is the clear winner.

2. FireFox freezes up when I'm trying to switch tabs to an already-opened one. This is nothing to do with the laggy connection, and everything to do with browser design. I have 4GB of RAM and a dual core 3.1 GHz, there's no excuse for this when other browsers like Chrome allow me to switch tabs quickly.

As you can see, i have two issues with the two different browsers, neither of which is to do with download connection speed. But I'm settling on FireFox since the occasional freezing up is more tolerable than the manual reloads, although i tried disabling Java and several other plug-ins i rarely use, to see if that helps the freezing browser problem. Actually, maybe it's a windows 7-only problem and I should switch to Linux?

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 08:58:25 am »

That's not the issue i was complaining about!

1. firefox with a small plug-in can automatically try and reload a page if there's a bad connection. Chrome just cannot do this at all. No plug-in for Chrome gives this function. It makes it much easier to use FireFox on the laggy connection because i can load a page in another tab, while I'm reading something else. With Chrome i constantly have to switch to the other page and manually hit refresh. In this area, FireFox is the clear winner.

2. FireFox freezes up when I'm trying to switch tabs to an already-opened one. This is nothing to do with the laggy connection, and everything to do with browser design. I have 4GB of RAM and a dual core 3.1 GHz, there's no excuse for this when other browsers like Chrome allow me to switch tabs quickly.

As you can see, i have two issues with the two different browsers, neither of which is to do with download connection speed. But I'm settling on FireFox since the occasional freezing up is more tolerable than the manual reloads, although i tried disabling Java and several other plug-ins i rarely use, to see if that helps the freezing browser problem. Actually, maybe it's a windows 7-only problem and I should switch to Linux?

You may have a virus then, or just re-install both browsers.
Pages: [1] 2