Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Welcome to the Arena - Angry knives challenge  (Read 1551 times)

wowie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Adventurer
    • View Profile
Welcome to the Arena - Angry knives challenge
« on: January 03, 2013, 04:36:27 am »

So, I've known about DF for a few years, and a week ago was the first time I gave it a serious go. I had FUN and lots of it. Then I figured out adventure mode. I had even more FUN.
I then discovered the object testing arena... After fiddling around a bit I have crafted what I believe is a +Challenge+ for those who want to test themselves to their digital limits.

Welcome to the Arena
Angry knives challenge

Quote from: AK challenge
Step 1: Open the object testing arena
Step 2: Place two humans on opposite sides of the central area. These two humans should have: Male gender, Adept level in all skills, 1 Cow leather loincloth, 1 Large steel dagger.
Step 3: Nickname one of these humans and take control of it.
Step 4: Fight with the other human until one of you dies.
Step 5a: If your opponent dies, go to step 6.
Step 5b: If you have FUN, go to step 8.
Step 6: Immediately spawn another person in the farthest "corner" of the arena from yourself, using the settings described in step 2.
Step 7: Resume control of your character, and go to step 4.
Step 8: Record how many kills you got before having FUN!
Step 9: Immolate your killer for the fun of it.
Step 10: Upload proof of your accomplishments to the internet in some form.
Step 11: Brag about your accomplishments until somebody one-ups you.

High-score list:
1. Brewster - 8 kills
2. AL_ - 5 kills

Links to proof of my victory broke, but it was an unremarkable feat anyways. Anybody could score 1 kill.

Feel free to make comments on other player's runs, post your highscores, and create new arena challenges. I want to see where this goes. :D

Oh and I almost forgot: posthumous kills don't count. If you die, then your opponent bleeds to death, then that's too bad, try again next time. ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:30:19 pm by wowie »
I can't describe to you using words... how lame this signature is.

AL_

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
    • Storm2D
Re: Welcome to the Arena - Angry knives challenge
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 04:27:57 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Of particular note: this character was left maimed (lost use of an arm and a leg) after the first fight, and managed to defeat 3 more perfectly healthy combatants while crawling around on the floor.

My actual high-score for the moment is one kill higher:

edit: The state of my arena after my "session" concluded:
That slab of cooled lava near the bottom is where I encased the last surviving fighter
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 05:07:01 am by AL_ »
They draft new soldiers every other week so that on the off chance that an adventurer comes by there will be a large army of people openly willing to defect to his cause.

Bureaucracy.

wowie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 03:59:17 pm »

NVM ignore this post until I figure out how to delete it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:01:17 pm by wowie »
I can't describe to you using words... how lame this signature is.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 10:03:20 pm »

I tried it out.  Fun!  My best legit try is only 2.  I think the key is to survive the first kill unscathed and then gather daggers and sling them at your next opponent.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 09:48:09 am »

Me! (Human #10)

Battle field.

The kingslayer.

AL_

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
    • Storm2D
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 03:40:27 am »

I recently got together with a couple friends and devised a "2v2" variant of this arena challenge - basically we just placed 4 (almost) identical humans in opposing sides of the arena, 2 humans to a team. After the "contestants" were in place, they were nicknamed after each one of us.

On the left side, was my team- top: Human 13 "Aidan <3" and bottom: Human 12 "Albert the Great"
On the right side was the opposing team- top: Human 9 "Kane" and bottom: Human 10 "Nathanael"
(one of my friends did the nicknaming btw, and my title was somehow quite prophetic)

ascii sketch of the pre-battle scene:
 ||++++++++||
||U++++++++U||
||U++++++++U||
 ||++++++++||

Immediately after the fight commenced, my partner charged headlong into the other team, thinking he could take them on himself. Less than a second later, this announcement came up:
Human 13 has been struck down!

Which left me to take on two (probably uninjured) opponents simultaneously. By this time, both of my opposing "friends" were having a good laugh at our expense, betting eachother how long my single human would last, and which of the two would get the eventual kill.

My character then clashed with the two opposing contestants and all fell to silence as we sat there transfixed, watching the almost magical dance of the pixels as our characters flew across the screen, locked in vicious battle. We could only hope to imagine what transpired during those sustained, breath-taking moments, for the fight lasted much longer than anyone had a right to expect. Blood covered the arena floor in thick viscous puddles, lined with vomit and littered throughout with severed limbs.

In a flurry of action, two announcements appeared within mere instants of eachother:

Human 10 has been struck down!
Human 9 has bled to death!

And all remained silent for a moment after the battle had concluded. Just like that, my lone character had single-handedly defeated both opponents, who had only seconds previously sent my unfortunate partner to his ignoble end. Then the moment came to an end, and like a river returning to life after the thawing of spring, sound seemed to return to the world as time resumed its inexorable march forward.

Suffice to say, we were all equally surprised by the outcome and level of "epicness" present in the fight. Upon post-combat inspection, it appeared that my character had lost his right leg in the fight; while he wasn't unscathed, the fact that my character had actually survived the fight after losing a leg was quite the feat in itself, let alone kill both attackers while crawling around on the ground. We came to a consensus that these feats of endurance, bravery and outright bad-assery were sufficient to be deserving of the title of "Great" that was bestowed prior to the fight even commencing.

NB: The fight was left to progress "naturally" via unpause; no character possession was present.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 03:45:55 am by AL_ »
They draft new soldiers every other week so that on the off chance that an adventurer comes by there will be a large army of people openly willing to defect to his cause.

Bureaucracy.