Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Girlinhat's Pathfinder: Failures of Ability  (Read 8536 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat's Pathfinder: Failures of Ability
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2013, 03:07:35 pm »

I think we should discuss our tactics for tomorrow.

also now that we are only 2 dedicated melee'rs, I am reviewing my level planning for lek.

Lunge is pretty awesome, especially with an enlargement spell and a reach weapon. Because being able to hit between 15 and 25 feet away from you is totally worth having.

You should get it as well art, as well as things that increase the number of aoo's you can do in a round (Combat Reflexes + more dex, Quick reflexes rage power). Battlefield control galore.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 03:10:26 pm by Naryar »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2013, 01:04:06 pm »

Let's see if we can get out of this mess without getting killed by goblin skirmishers first.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2013, 04:00:32 pm »

Journal of Lek Itonnanir, Part IVa - A Fight Worth Dying In

Well, I spent one day in Grand South, buying a lucerne hammer, trying to get the reactions of my aurochs, also reading more about old history and a bit of brawling in the arena. Not a worthy fight.

...Later this day I discovered the team left me behind in Grand South. I checked Constance for anything, he did told me the group left already one day ago, and told me where they were aimed at. Were they having an army and were we to fight in a real battlefield ? Why was I not told of this before !

I hurried out of Grand South, at night, at gallop, on the back of my aurochs. Had I missed a fight ? Turns out I didn't, and the real fight was waiting for me.

I managed to track their footprints quite easily, it's not like an army of 25 men were difficult to track. I joined them around midnight, under the moon. The moon wasn't red, although it should have be...

We rested until dawn, when I deduced the position of the goblin camp. We therefore marched to it, because they were cavalry, and direct offense was the most solid way to lure them in, where spearmen could have some effect against cavalry.

We reached it in the young morning. What a morning it was ! The goblins immediately attacked us as we fought, attempting to charge into the spearmen's rear. I, Elias the mysterious priest, artael and two guards were dispatched to counter a sight.

I asked for Gorum's help in this battle and then lost myself in battle fury. What a fury it was ! I exploded one goblin's head, killed another, and maimed two others. We got wounded, but not enough to stop us. artael visibly liked to be enlarged and used a magic item, which made him larger. I baptized my lucerne hammer and longhammer in goblin blood, and it was so exciting !

Then, after dispatching the flankers, we joined the main battle.

It was a magnificent sight. The rays of the rising sun, making spilt goblin and human blood shine. The fury, the chaos, the sheer randomness of it, yet ironically randomness only born of one constant : mutual hatred. YES ! This is what I live for !

Tired from my former battle fury, I cast all the spells I needed and then threw myself into the battle.

I... had nothing against these goblins, to be honest. Yes, they were my enemies, but probably not in spirit.

Now that I wrote these lines, I realize that I entered this battle more like a savage beast than a thinking dwarf. Yet... it was worth it. I will give anything to feel the rush of combat more.

Later on I abandoned myself to battle fury once. It has a kind of purity, a purity that shames all the other pleasures I have experienced in this life.

When we finally finished these goblins, I was pretty tired. But happier than ever. Never before had I let limits out like that, never before battle fury was so intense. Yes, I had always lived for war, but this was new.

I felt somewhat like a new person, so I decided to add a moniker to my name. I shall now be Lek Itonnanir Sanadnazush, Bristle Hallrhyme Morningblood.

I promptly made a shrine to Gorum, a pile of stones with a goblin blade impaled in it, to thank him for this battle and to mark war. Sure, it was only a small battle... but not for me. He seemed far more satisfied than before.

I healed soldiers, plus a few goblins which were immediately stabbed dead by the other soldiers. Woe to the vanquished, such is the law of war.

Then Elias started to interrogate a half-dead goblin, for all the . I don't know what she did to it, but it was probably scary. Not that I cared for the goblin, but the goblin's face said enough. Woe to the vanquished should not be taken to these extremes...

In fact... I felt a bit scared about her. Fear, something I hadn't felt in awhile. Was I did attempted to ask her, she seemed evasive. Expression-reading didn't helped either. I don't know about this girl.

She then manacled the goblin and we moved, not after getting a bit of weapons and armor to be sold, and a magic glove.

We went back to Grand South, where I made the magic glove a band of Burning Hands. I can't help but think it's pretty useless, to be honest.

I also enchanted my holy symbol with a bless spell, so I may inspire my allies to greater courage and glory. We shall see what the future holds for us,  I personally hope it is filled with battle.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 04:02:50 pm by Naryar »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2013, 03:59:57 pm »

Now posting a few of the funniest moments of the session.

Me, misreading the enemy's tile. Which was an earth elemental, and we were in a mine. We just use capital letters like in DF for enemies, instead of miniatures. So, DF-sense kicked in...

Lek:E
it's
oh my god
it's an elephant
ah
Artael:rofl
Alouette S.:Dire cave elephant
Lek:medium earth elemental
makes sense
Artael:we should get some sleep soon
elephant

Critical failure hilarity.

Lek:aoo when knocked prone is a feat
I charge
i use destructive smite
Lek uses Destructive Smite !
Lek strikes more powerfully !
Lek strikes his opponent !
Lek: rolling 1d20+3+1
(1)+3+1 = 5
Lek:...what
Artael:DESTRUCTIVE SMITE!
Lek:what
Artael:hahahaha
Girlinhat (GM):...
you...
Artael:man...
Artael:lol
Girlinhat (GM):Yeah, you run at it so hard and so intent on bloodshed that you manage to stumble over it and to the other side
Alouette S.:Spear hits the rocky dude
Lek:...
Alouette S.:And thus polejumping was inveted
Girlinhat (GM):there's now a dwarf atop an elemental
by accident
Artael:inventor lek
and after generations
Girlinhat (GM):art, aoo
Alouette S.:I have to go soon :<
Lek:i am not elementophile
Artael:we still remember the inventor of pole jumping

Elias fails a Knowledge (Planes) check to identify an earth elemental. Hilariously. Kudos to our GM for this gem.

Girlinhat (GM):Artael
also
you guys really don't want to melee with elementals right now
someone roll knowledge
Artael:anybody has any ranks in k. planes?
Girlinhat (GM):planes or dungeoneering
Alouette S.: rolling 1d20+2 planes knowledge
(1)+2 = 3
Lek:earth mastery is lame
hahahaha
Alouette S.:FUCKREWYGRHEHNJS
Artael:they are rocks all right
lol
animated rocks
Girlinhat (GM):You know what this is, Elias.
It's a large tropical bird.
Lek:sure
yeah
Alouette S.:D: Of course!
Artael:Die parrot, die!
Girlinhat (GM):dungeoneering anyone?

also there was quite a bit of drama and jokes when I periodically left the room for connection problems and everyone thought I was asleep. But I wasn't. Heh, it was funny.

We also periodically shouted "EVIL" when Elias did something, because she tortured a goblin sometime. Her behavior was incredibly suspicious as well... It quickly become a running gag.

But personally i'm fine with Elias now. She may be an evil psycho, but she's our evil psycho, and I will stand between her and our enemies. Maybe it's that "fire forged friends" feeling.

also, us wanting to kill Elias's pet fox (who jumped next to her while travelling) because it was obviously a druidic spy.

Next post... Lek's opinion on the incredibly epic mining week.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:13:09 pm by Naryar »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2013, 09:22:52 am »

Heh, good times... Well, good 3 days ago-s.

We were suspicious of how Elias was evil when she said she was a Lawful Good cleric and it turned out she was Chaotic Evil. We figured that out way sooner thanks to our out-of-character Sense Motive rolls.

Artael:go team evil!
Artael:go team evil!
Lek:it's not team evil
Elias:I am not evil, hush your mouth, praise satan
Lek:it's just... one sadomasochist girl in party
Elias:Best kinda party :D

If Amarath isn't Good, than our party is currently between Chaotic Evil and Chaotic Neutral. I think I'm also kinda Evil because of how Ax Crazy my character is. I also like playing anti-heroes rather than perfect "I smite thee, evildoer!" kinda heroes. Lek is The Stoic and Proud Warrior Race Guy so it's not like we have ANY characters who are more likely to do good deeds anyway. Also, according to Mercenaries' Code, we should get paid for at least the next battle we sign up for that Constance dude. If I don't obey the Mercenaries' Code, I will turn into Lawful Neutral... or thats what Artael believes.

I also still think that fox is the familiar of a spy. Don't get surprised if we get ambushed soon or that fox transforms into a powerful druid or something.

It would be cool if we still had DoomOnion, the only Good guy. I still can't see why it had to come to this. Also, only 2/5 of our party is regulars in the Bay12 forums which doesn't really improve our teamwork and discussions.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:25:42 am by Leatra »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2013, 11:58:15 am »

I do believe Amarath is Chaotic Good. I just hope she isn't Generic Bland Good, and won't spend 30 minutes going all "hey I pet unicorns" and going all Aerie and stuff.

Can't wait till the bard comes, and we get a 5-player party.

also I like neutral characters best of all, it's far more interesting morally than "hurr good" or "durr evil". I'm not saying an evil or good character cannot be memorable, it's just that... neutral is much better and realistic overall.

I don't think we're really evil to be honest. We could just be pegged at Lawful Neutral and be done with it.

also I fail to see art as truly ax-crazy. Lek is pretty stoic in general, yeah (except in battle), but proud warrior race guy ? Lek worries other dwarven warriors with his battle lust. He is far more than that.

I'm still not sure about the fox, but we are possibly being too paranoid.

It would be cool if we still had DoomOnion, the only Good guy. I still can't see why it had to come to this. Also, only 2/5 of our party is regulars in the Bay12 forums which doesn't really improve our teamwork and discussions.

Well, Doom was honestly too over-reactive. Every single time we were in (true or false) danger he worried. although I guess this builds a group, and it's too bad he left.

and yes. We need more pre-battle discussion.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2013, 03:50:51 pm »

I like neutral alignments too because for most people, Evil is a totally demonic and black alignment and if you are Evil, you must eat babies while shouting "praise Satan" or something. Also, people with Good alignment are supposed to be incorruptible and angelic. My character works for the side which pays the most and his selfishness may be perceived as evil by us, but not Evil by DnD.

I don't have many Ax Crazy moments because you always have to think twice about killing important characters. I thought about killing Charl and looting his corpse when he didn't pay us, although he could have easily killed a level 1 party... probably.

And being paranoid is a good thing in a world like this.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2013, 04:02:19 pm »

I like neutral alignments too because for most people, Evil is a totally demonic and black alignment and if you are Evil, you must eat babies while shouting "praise Satan" or something. Also, people with Good alignment are supposed to be incorruptible and angelic. My character works for the side which pays the most and his selfishness may be perceived as evil by us, but not Evil by DnD.

Yup. People tend to see morality matters as a duality, when it's more like a sliding scale. Probably because it's simpler. It's not helped by most modern culture that tends to give a clear black and white morality.

also how is artael evil ? Sure he may be CN with several CE moments, but not really evil.

I intend to get Lek character devlopment by giving him a more subtile reason for his battle-lust other than hedonism (like he is now), and quite possibly a willingness to do anything to get his war and battle, and a complete devotion to it.

No, I don't care if I have to become CE in order to do it. War supercedes anything, and playing an unfettered character should be plenty of fun.

I thought about killing Charl and looting his corpse when he didn't pay us, although he could have easily killed a level 1 party... probably.

So did you wanted his body or just his dead body ?

and being paranoid is a good thing in a world like this.

I disagree, for "rage+charge" guys we seem to be doing pretty damn well.

Besides, we're the badass duo of the party. We don't need to be paranoid about anything since we can rage and pummel the paranoia with weapons.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 04:06:06 pm by Naryar »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2013, 04:16:40 pm »

Yup. People tend to see morality matters as a duality, when it's more like a sliding scale. Probably because it's simpler. It's not helped by most modern culture that tends to give a clear black and white morality.

also how is artael evil ? Sure he may be CN with several CE moments, but not really evil.
Artael is not Evil by DnD comparisons. I didn't make him evil because I didn't want to be expected to rape/kill/destroy everything and betray my teammates.

I intend to get Lek character devlopment by giving him a more subtile reason for his battle-lust other than hedonism (like he is now), and quite possibly a willingness to do anything to get his war and battle, and a complete devotion to it.

No, I don't care if I have to become CE in order to do it. War supercedes anything, and playing an unfettered character should be plenty of fun.
I already gave a purpose to Artael: getting money and a party that could help him kill an Elven mercenary traitor. Of course, GM makes the plot and it's not like we always do heavy RPing anyway. It seems only both of us are interested in RPing.

I thought about killing Charl and looting his corpse when he didn't pay us, although he could have easily killed a level 1 party... probably.

So did you wanted his body or just his dead body ?
Even if he had 50 CHA, never.

and being paranoid is a good thing in a world like this.

I disagree, for "rage+charge" guys we seem to be doing pretty damn well.

Besides, we're the badass duo of the party. We don't need to be paranoid about anything since we can rage and pummel the paranoia with weapons.
Eh, I guess. Maybe I want to kill the fox because I can't tolerate cuteness in this party!

By the way, I was looking at the Chat Log for some laughs and I noticed how hard I tried to keep you up and ENERGETIC while fighting the urge to sleep.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We have so many running gags I can't keep up with them.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2013, 04:39:54 pm »

We do roleplaying when we feel like it. Personally I'd prefer this game to have more combat, a bit more roleplay and less exposition.

also, I have no idea what to give to the party as personal sidequest. Maybe some archeological expedition (with lots of fighting) or just going to taunt the next kingdom and create a war for the hell of it nah, probably too evil for this party. Maybe alone.

also, I am also against cuteness in this party. I started to draw unicorns... possibly as a means to escape despair and boredom because 1 hour of domestic arrangement = not D&D.

also we don't have that many running gags :
-Charl the gay bard
-Gillen running into a phalanx of spears and killing his horse Now pretty dead, unless I do it with aurochs
-Elias and her fox being EEVIL
-Me supposedly being asleep and everyone freaking out and suggesting ENERGETIC!
-Lek failing attack rolls, although that may change soon
-Lek and art charging at the first opportunity
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 04:43:01 pm by Naryar »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2013, 06:32:11 pm »

Let's not forget Artael's enlarged spear and flail. The whole "Artael plays with his flail" thing got old after I bought the spear though.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2013, 06:41:32 pm »

Let's not forget Artael's enlarged spear and flail. The whole "Artael plays with his flail" thing got old after I bought the spear though.

Well, you haven't been using your flail since forever. It's all been thrusting with your lucerne hammer.

Which is arguably even more phallic.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2013, 08:23:25 am »

Journal of Lek Itonnanir Sanadnazush, Part IVb

Once in Grand South, we still went to Constance for occupation.

He gave us three options : dig tunnels, seek for metal and guard tree choppers against druid attacks. I was firsthand attracted by the tunnels. Maybe there was some hidden wonders under the earth ? Then I realized scavenging metal would probably bring fighting, and weapons. It may please Gorum.

Gillen having left, we're kind of without an official leader. Yet I don't see anyone motivated for it... I guess we can work without a leader.

We chose the scavenging of metal. Turns out it was mining, next to Littleport, that small village next to the coast.

We went therefore to Littleport, where we were interrupted by a fox. I, suddenly being hungry, picked up a javelin, but the fox was overtly friendly. It went next to Elias and she seemed to adopt it or something. What.

I still don't know the whereabouts of this fox. Why would a fox go seek elias or something ? She's not a druid. I am quite suspicious of the fox, I must say. Doesn't seem to be magical. But it hasn't fled or anything.

Then we bought mining equipment in Littleport, and thereafter went mining for iron. Maybe this would please Gorum.

Turns out it didn't, and it was pretty boring. Mine for hours. Find ore. Pick back ore. Continue again.

Halfway through the mining we stumbled into two hostile earth elementals. Finally, a fight !

I and artael charged them both, with Elias as support. There were pretty tough and damn did they packed a punch. Slow, though.

Halfway through the fight I charged one, and was so eager to strike one that I stumbled all over it and went to the other side. It was pretty funny, in retrospect. Maybe I shouldn't only let myself be driven by my battle-lust in combat ? Hmm.

We finished them, although we were pretty hurt and I had a few bones in really bad shape.. Still a very good fight.

Then the other half of the week was more boring mining. We got a decent amount of gold out of it, but... I am a warrior, damn it, not a miner, and never again this boredom !

Gorum didn't seem pleased with the week overall, although I am quite certain he did enjoyed that fight. Hopefully I got that fight, else he would probably be pretty angry. I got to get more fighting next week, even if I have to temporarily leave my comrades.

On another matter, it seems my aurochs is getting used to violence and I am pretty sure he can serve as a proper war mount now. I can't wait to see how mounted combat is !

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2013, 09:58:52 am »

Mining didn't bring a huge profit in one week but maybe we can get annual profits depending on our investments.

What's the next step for our quest for world domination?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2013, 10:10:04 am »

Unless GiH has another quest for us, I'll say go protect the woodcutters from the druids nah, who am I kidding ? Slaughter the whole circle of tree huggers, and then go kill random cute baby animals just to drive the point through. Grrr. Need more xp.

The one which gives the most fighting, of course !
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:13:36 am by Naryar »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]