Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Gladiator WIP  (Read 963 times)

hairypotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • i like potatoes
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Gladiator WIP
« on: May 30, 2013, 12:15:28 am »

I thought it would be cool to customize your own gladiator and see how he fares against opposing gladiators. I'll record the battle maybe pause it every few seconds to see what's happening in the reports then post it here for you to see the results.

Game types: these will be the type of events your Gladiator may participate in. Consider tooling your gladiator to be good at certain events all the way from team battles to free for alls. I am also considering having a type of "battle of the races" where the best of each race is selected for there events sort of like the Olympics. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Creating your gladiator: you can spend up to 240 points worth of skills and equipment as a rookie gladiator and will earn more points with kills and victorys.

Race: Choose either Elf, Dwarf or Human
Armour:
Skills:
Weapons:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:57:11 am by hairypotatoes »
potato?

CountAlex

• Bay Watcher
  • SpoonMaster
    • View Profile
Re: Gladiator Tounament
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 05:10:59 am »

I would be glad to paricipate, but I suggest you different rules, more detailed and proved to be more balanced through some tournaments.
I didn't come up with them, but they don't look too sophisticated.
So:
1) Pick up race from this table

I advice you to restrict choice with only 4 kinds-humans, dwarves, elfs, goblins.
2) Pick up skills from here
3)Pick up armor from here
and weapon from here
Sum of points used to buy skills and equip can't be more then points for choosen race. For every victory gldiator gets same amount of points more to buy more skills or better equip. Old ones can be sold for half-price. Skill points obviously can't be sold.
So, how do you like this rules? 
Adventures of brave Likot Udendeb in pictures
Urist McLegendary likes adamantine, steel, mugs and noobs for their questions. He absolutely detests trolls.

Impedocles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 01:01:54 pm »

CountAlex's system looks more balanced.  Some problems with the original system: bronze is just as good as iron yet costs less; skill costs is not progressive.   One issue with Alex's system is that whips, daggers, and scourges are too cheap.

For the original system, I'd choose something like this, and it would beat almost anything:

Name: Imp
Race:Elf
Weapon: Bronze Scourge (200g)
Armour: none
Stats: 5 lasher 250(G)
         15 dodge 750(G)

Total:1200(G)

For the second system, I would do:
Name: Imp
Race:Elf
Weapon: Silver whip (12g)
Armour: oak shield (45G)
             Bronze Mail Shirt (48G)
Stats: 3 lasher (30G)
         3 dodge (30G)
         4 shield (40G)
         4 Fighter (30G)

total: 235
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 01:28:18 pm by Impedocles »

hairypotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • i like potatoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 08:00:20 pm »

ok im going to work on this thing for a bit with the stuff you showed me alex. Hopefully it will prove to be alot more interesting when i put some effort in
potato?