Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 194126 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #2310 on: December 22, 2019, 03:39:20 am »

It's clear that our elected officials are beholden to their funding base rather than their electorate. The aggressive denial of climate issues by the Australian government is simply too blatant to ignore.

I know my own family has discussed plans about exiting this country if things continue on this path. It's simply not an attractive place to try building a future.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: December 22, 2019, 04:10:59 am »

Sad to know it's not just us in wackadoo yanky-doodle land that suffers "business politics first, electorate last" type problems.

I hope you guys can get it sorted before it gets end-stage malignant like ours is.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: December 22, 2019, 11:04:52 am »

It's clear that our elected officials are beholden to their funding base rather than their electorate. The aggressive denial of climate issues by the Australian government is simply too blatant to ignore.

I know my own family has discussed plans about exiting this country if things continue on this path. It's simply not an attractive place to try building a future.

There, now this quote applies to everyone, everywhere.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: December 22, 2019, 11:20:51 am »

Sad to know it's not just us in wackadoo yanky-doodle land that suffers "business politics first, electorate last" type problems.

I hope you guys can get it sorted before it gets end-stage malignant like ours is.

It's not going to hit USA levels of insanity by any margin.

First, our politicians, even the conservative ones, aren't anywhere near as bible-thumping as yours. It's standard fare for American politicians to jump up with "God this, God that" but here, it's an anomaly.

Second, we already have instant-runoff voting. That means we can still vote for third parties without worrying about the spoiler effect. What this means is that the true right-wing whackos actually have separate parties rather than trying to all shoe-horn into the center-right party.

Take the "One Nation" party for example, with all their meme-worthy wackiness. They're a separate party here, vilified by both the right and left mainstream parties. However, if this was the USA with it's first-past-the-post system then they wouldn't exist as a separate party but would be a faction of the conservative party. So yes, we do have Republican-level lunatics in politics here, however they're mostly cordoned off in their own fringe parties, not shoe-horned into diametrically opposed mega-parties.

However, I think some in the Ameripol thread wouldn't like these conclusions of instant-run-off: while it would be much harder for the far-right to hijack the center-right party in Australia because they're cordoned off in a multitude of fringe right-wing parties, by equal measure the far-left is also cordoned off in a multitude of far-left parties rather than being represented in the center-left.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 11:41:27 am by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: December 22, 2019, 11:39:59 am »

aus is literally burning to the ground right now
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: December 22, 2019, 11:47:01 am »

To give the USA people some funnies. I have to note however, she didn't actually win.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/08/one-nation-stephanie-banister-islam

One Nation candidate Stephanie Banister puts Islam on the map

Rankin hopeful says: 'I don't oppose Islam as a country but I do feel their laws should not be welcome here in Australia'

Banister is due to face court on a charge of “contaminating or interfering with goods” over allegations she stuck a sticker which read “Beware! Halal food funds terrorism” on Nestle products at her local Woolworths. If she appears before the 7 September election and a criminal conviction were to be recorded, the Australian Electoral Commission would disqualify her from the race for Rankin.

She's clearly never even met a muslim, if she's protesting them by putting stickers on Nestle products at her local Woolworths.

“Jews aren’t under haram. They have their own religion which follows Jesus Christ,” Banister said. She also referred to haram food when she might have meant halal food.

“Everyone in the world has a lot to learn about day-to-day stuff and everything in life is just about learning,” she said.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 11:50:05 am by Reelya »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: December 22, 2019, 12:03:47 pm »

She genuinely sounds so stupid I'm amazed she isn't in a care home.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: December 23, 2019, 05:09:38 am »

Unwittingly doing the work of Islamist nationalists everywhere in her fight against Islamism, great work
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: December 23, 2019, 05:30:21 am »

Absolutely Haral.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: December 23, 2019, 05:44:19 am »

She genuinely sounds so stupid I'm amazed she isn't in a care home.

Sadly, being unrelentingly stupid is not sufficient to be placed in a long-term care setting.  They have to be self-neglecting and or, provably at significant risk of harm from being left in control of their own affairs first.

At least that's how it works in YankyDoodle land.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: December 23, 2019, 09:04:18 am »

She's clearly never even met a been to muslim, if she's protesting them by putting stickers on Nestle products at her local Woolworths.

FTFY

“Everyone in the world has a lot to learn about day-to-day stuff and everything in life is just about learning,” she said.
[/quote]

I assume the response was "some of us more than others."?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: December 23, 2019, 09:35:12 am »

ok

but what about the fire

can we take a moment to focus on the fire
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: December 23, 2019, 09:40:31 am »

(about fire)

AU Prime minister (Vacationing in Hawaii):

"We don't need no water, let the motherf*cker burn."  Er---  "Will take responsibility for not returning immediately."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: December 23, 2019, 08:10:02 pm »

ok

but what about the fire

can we take a moment to focus on the fire

Fires, plural. Australia is almost as big as the USA. Do you say "America is on fire" if there are California wildfires?

This isn't a single fire, it's just fire season. Happens every year. Some years more than others, and this is nowhere near the worst even in recent times. Droughts, fires, floods we always have something going on.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 08:23:03 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: December 23, 2019, 08:17:08 pm »

Fires, plural. Australia is almost as big as the USA. Do you say "America is on fire" if there are California wildfires?
yes

but also america is on fire as well

This isn't a single fire, it's just fire season. Happens every year. Some years more than others, and this is nowhere near the worst even in recent times. Droughts, fires, floods we always have something going on.
the koalas were declared functionally extinct due to habitat burn

it's 50c

the fires are right outside sydney

and you're about 15% more disaster away from actually drafting people to be firefighters

ironically, aboriginal nations will reclaim AUS by 2050 when the entire white population dies of skin cancer and/or being set on fire

don't worry, americans will join you in hell
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 163