Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 194081 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #2371 on: April 30, 2020, 05:08:34 am »

Queensland is Australia's equivalent to Alabama to put that in context.

EDIT: Northern Queensland specifically. Many in Northern Queensland specifically want to secede from the rest of Queensland. Basically the big-city folk in the capital of Queensland aren't redneck enough for them.

Bob Katter is the best example to highlight the general level of crazy among politicians up there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ih1EuMLspY

Queensland is also where Pauline Hanson is from
https://austrolabe.com/2007/03/31/pauline-hanson-on-malaysia-david-hicks-and-muslim-immigration/
In another curious statement, Ms Hanson said Malaysia had been “taken over by Muslims, despite a long history of Islam in that country”.
The former One Nation leader, who is having another tilt at politics, said she was wary of allowing Muslims to settle in Australia.

But she would welcome some Muslims, she said.

“There are Christian Muslims – there is no problems about that,” she told ABC radio yesterday.

And Stephanie Bannister
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-10/one-nation-candidate-withdraws-after-islam-gaffe/4878190
"I don't oppose Islam as a country, but I do feel that their laws should not be welcome here in Australia," Ms Banister said.

She claimed 2 per cent of Australians "follow haram" - an apparent reference to the Koran, the Muslim holy text.

She advocated a ban on halal food, but said kosher food was permissible for followers of Judaism.

"Jews aren't under haram, they have their own religion which follows Jesus Christ," she said.

And now Clive Palmer. The crazy-train never ends up there :/
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 05:25:59 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: April 30, 2020, 06:08:01 am »

I have some sad news for you

Europe has been taken over by Christians
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: April 30, 2020, 02:31:01 pm »

I'm  wary of allowing Christians to settle in Australia.

But there are atheist Christians - there's no problem about that.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: May 02, 2020, 01:10:58 pm »

I remember hearing about how one should be careful with announcing your religious affiliations in Ireland/Northern Ireland, with the example given being one of a fellow who'd been asked if he was Catholic or Protestant.

"Oh, I'm an atheist actually."

"Well, would you say you're more of a Catholic atheist, or a Protestant atheist?"

EDIT: And for no reason whatsoever, I have to comment with the fantastic tagline I found on a bag of candy at my local Turkish grocer: "Absolutely Halalicious!"

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: May 11, 2020, 10:25:46 pm »

Man, fuck Jacinta Ardern. And not in the literal sense.   
I wasn't a fan of bootleg Australian Alex Jones, but it's still sad to see him lose his job for throwing some well-deserved shade at her.   

...I mean, I haven't actually read whatever comments of his originated the whole thing, since Google only wanted to show me articles about the resulting fallout, but if they were directed at Ardern it's a pretty safe bet that they were well-deserved. The sock one was certainly spot-on.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: May 12, 2020, 04:31:38 am »

What makes you think he lost the job over the Janita comments? Alan Jones has a long history of being an asshat to anyone and everyone whos oppinion differs from his, or just because he dislikes them. His whole career success is based on being an asshole. Pretty sure it's just a case of the Alan Jone's fan club getting older and older, while a younger audience doesn't care what he thinks. Personally I'll be glad to see him go. Man's a crook who sold his opinions to the banks for a bunch of sweet sweet cash. He should of gone long ago, however his fans trust his opinion despite being caught conning them. After all he hates the people they hate. Must be a great guy, right?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: May 12, 2020, 06:59:34 am »

That's a stupid comment Yoink. Jacinta Ardern didn't fire the douche. He got what he deserves, overdue by several decades. It was the straw that broke the camel's back and he did it deliberately. Shock jocks gonna shock, and it's not the fault of the person they target when they cross the line and come unstuck. I seriously doubt this is the worse he's said, guys practically a fascist.

Probably the top thing was that he sparked the racist Cronulla Riots
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-12/some-of-alan-jones-most-infamous-on-air-attacks/12237694

Four days before the 2005 Cronulla riots erupted, Jones arguably made the most dangerous on-air comments of his career.

"My suggestion is to invite one of the biker gangs to be present in numbers at Cronulla railway station when these Lebanese thugs arrive. The bikie gangs have been much maligned, but they do a lot of good things," Jones said

"It would be worth the price of admission to watch these cowards scurry back onto the train for the return trip to their lairs."

On the day of the riots, crowds rushed to Cronulla train station and violently attacked two Middle Eastern men on a train carriage.

The Australian Media and Communications Authority later ruled Jones had likely encouraged violence or brutality on the basis of ethnicity and years later the NSW Administrative Decisions Tribunal found him guilty of "inciting hatred and serious contempt" of Lebanese Muslims.

Edit: also note this guy is an apologist for pedos. As long as they're establishment pedos. Suddenly it's all about calmly deliberating the facts and benefit of the doubt. but if it's anyone else, he's a "throw the book at 'em" kind of guy. If he was actually a rip-off of Alex Jones he'd be more palatable, but he's actually a reactionary stooge for the church and corporations.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 07:15:13 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: May 12, 2020, 08:01:52 am »

Listen, I clarified in my post that I wasn't a fan of his (nor did I really know who he was), "fuck Jacinda Ardern" works perfectly well as a standalone comment.   
It's just absurd that his comments aimed at her would be a straw at all, let alone one that breaks a metaphorical camel's back.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: May 12, 2020, 09:35:11 am »

Was a bit more colourful then put a sock in it. "Should shove a sock down her throat". "I hope Scott Morrison gets tough here with a few backhanders". It cost the radio station advertising dollars. They don't care that he is obnoxious, it's what they pay him for, they care when he loses them money. This is on top of a defamation case where he accused a wealthy farming family of murder over a dam accident. At some point shock jocks start costing the radio station more then they earn it. This isn't some poor sucker losing there job over unfortunate comments, for a start he has multiple side hustles in the media. That's on top of the fact he earns more money not working from investments then most people earn working their jobs.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: May 12, 2020, 04:29:30 pm »

Yup, the backhanders for the uppity woman comment in particular has extremely strong connotations of domestic violence, and it's that which got people offended, not that it was targeted at Jacinda Ardern. It could have been literally anyone.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: May 13, 2020, 03:11:09 am »

Frankly, I'm in the camp of thinking Jacinda is a bloody legend.

She's taken charge of a shitty situation with COVID-19 and steered her country through a hard time, all while presenting a human face to the government's response.

I wish our Aussie PM was half the statesman Jacinda has been.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: May 17, 2020, 04:34:27 am »

So again with Jacinda: She gets turned away from a cafe because they're full due to social distancing

She and her partner get in line like everybody else, get knocked back, then just shrug and walk off, before someone else finished and gave them their spot after chasing them down the street.

Seriously, can we have her instead?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: May 17, 2020, 04:41:38 am »

When I see headlines like Canberra Times "Greeks return to the beaches" I envision Australia's beaches as just being constantly occupied by Greeks at al times
Love, scriver~

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: May 17, 2020, 01:33:36 pm »

It might seem that way sometimes to Melbournians.  ;)

But seriously, don't Swedish papers cover international news?
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 163