Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 193778 times)

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 06:24:09 am »

Sorry, my Internet is crap right now. Please give me a short paraphrase if you don't mind?
This country was founded on catholic values!
Multiculturalism is bad! (Actually says this, not a paraphrase)
If you come to this country, you chose to, thus you must assimilate into our white culture!
Secularism is bad!
We need to fight for the values of the 'silent majority'!
Not exactly "Rage-Worthy" to me. Not my political views, but a few things in there are.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 06:26:27 am »

Eh, when you actually see the guys smug face saying it, actually believing it, and knowing others will share this view, it is rage worthy...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 06:30:51 am »

Rise Up Australia are the worst kind of christians. Intolerant, rude, bigoted, etc. One of the quotes the head of Rise Up said was 'there's a reason the word CULT is in MULTICULTURALISM'.

They basically want to close our borders to all but christian immigrants, and make RE mandatory in schools.

I'm planning to go to one of their meetings with a few of my politically inclined friends to have a go at them; they're based quite close to where I live.

I personally vote Labor as it seems to be the least of the evils... at least it was last time I voted.
I put conroy absolutely last, he's a twat.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2013, 06:31:37 am »

Well anyways, I want less gun control here. Sadly, I highly doubt that's going to happen anytime soon. No self defence for me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2013, 06:38:22 am »

See that is interesting because a lot of gun clubs want more gun control.
We have a very different gun culture than over in the US. Over here guns are owned by sportsmen and professional hunters, rather than amateurs for self defense. These highly trained gun owners know that every accidental shooting is going to be highly detrimental to their lifestyle, so they push for tighter gun control to ensure that only people with the maturity can own a fire arm, and only fire arms that are useful for their need are allowed.

So why do you want less gun control Kingfisher?

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2013, 06:41:40 am »

Well, I should have explained that better. Less types of guns restricted ( I.e, semiauto rifles) and more background checks and liscencing. I want to be able to enjoy a wider variety of guns, and them to be limited to better checks of ability to handle.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 06:46:29 am »

So sporting type I guess... I mean I can understand wanting higher caliber guns for longer ranges, but I'm against automatic and assault weapons. They have no accuracy, they are useless for both target shooting and hunting. All they do is make you feel like the 'big man' for having something loud, heavy and destructive.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2013, 06:49:11 am »

So sporting type I guess... I mean I can understand wanting higher caliber guns for longer ranges, but I'm against automatic and assault weapons. They have no accuracy, they are useless for both target shooting and hunting. All they do is make you feel like the 'big man' for having something loud, heavy and destructive.
Not particularly. I've never felt superior for firing a gun, or owning one. Also, please define " assault weapon".

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2013, 06:51:54 am »

I dont want less guns restricted. Enjoy them as you may, allowing more of them into the country is dangerous.

We had a local who went to my school who accidently shot themselves with their dads hunting rifle, so the feeling is shared around where I live.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2013, 06:55:02 am »

Not particularly. I've never felt superior for firing a gun, or owning one. Also, please define " assault weapon".
Semi-automatic rifles and shotguns. Also anything with burst fire and anything with any sort of armor piercing capabilities, but that relates more to the munition.

Looking at some figures our most recent school shooting was in 2002, the US has had 9 this year. While I understand that you can expect higher frequency with greater population, it is still obvious that we have much better gun control leading to a safer population.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2013, 07:07:24 am »

Semi-automatic rifles and shotguns. Also anything with burst fire and anything with any sort of armor piercing capabilities, but that relates more to the munition.

Looking at some figures our most recent school shooting was in 2002, the US has had 9 this year. While I understand that you can expect higher frequency with greater population, it is still obvious that we have much better gun control leading to a safer population.
Why semiautos? They have an application in hunting and sport shooting.
Damn, I should make a gun control thread. This is starting to get off topic.
Anyways, no government for a looonggggg time is going to make guns less restricted.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2013, 07:09:00 am »

I want kind of the exact opposite of Kingfisher; fewer restrictions on shotguns and long, bolt-action rifles, more on everything else. Shotguns and bolt-actions have reasons to exist outside of killing people. The others don't.

Also, gun control thread will end with hilarious/depressing argument. It's one of the topics with no real consensus around the board, and a 'high-stakes' one as well.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2013, 07:12:54 am »

I remember there being a gun control thread in the wake of Sandy Hook, and I'm pretty sure it ended exactly as you described.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2013, 07:17:31 am »

So yeah. Glad you put this up. It means I have at least a few people who will be able to understand why I cry myself to sleep everytime I think about the upcoming election.

So, for anyone who doesn't follow Aussie politics normally, this is how it goes (ENGAGE WALL OF TEXT);

Our government is modelled on the British system, and our functional head of state is the Prime Minister (PM for short; note, our ACTUAL head of state is Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth, but we don't really care much about her)

Spoiler: Our current PM (click to show/hide)

who got into power by deposing

Spoiler: Kevin Rudd (click to show/hide)

in a back room caucus, despite him having a rather high approval rating at the time (the reason was the aforementioned control-freak workaholicness). This had a couple of interesting effects; first and foremost, it lost Labor a LOT of points. Like, prior to this, Liberal (our conservative party; again, go figure) politicians were openly acknowledging they didn't have a chance at governent for the next 2 or so elections, and many journalists were thinking still longer; after, the next election was literally tied (ironically, the same year the AFL Grand Final was also drawn), and they only made power by allying with a whole host of independants and the minor Green's party. They've never really recovered.

Secondly, it made sure that for the rest of her time as PM, her worst enemy in terms of public opinion was in her own party. Australians are pretty much like everyone else, but we like to think we're especially big on mateship (basically, being a good friend through thick and thin), which means we take an especially poor view of backstabbers. So, subsequently, every time her polls dipped low, we have huge amounts of speculation on bringing back Rudd; he was still popular with the general public, and the whole delicious irony of him getting revenge on a treasonous former deputy was perfect for selling newspapers. The fact that he made sure to stay highly visible (rather than retiring into the background), and was rumoured to be the source for some rather embarrassing leaks over the past few years, suggest he agreed with the public.

Rudd wasn't stupid (and knew with the public support he had a chance of getting back in the big seat), so he tried to mount a challenge. Sadly, because the Australian electoral system elects the party, and not the person, the only people who would be able to put him in power were the same Labor ministers who suffered under his tyrannical former reign. He was thus humiliatingly defeated, and vowed not to step up again unless he had a clear mandate to lead; e.g. the majority of Labor ministers deliberately asking for his return...

...and if politicians weren't politicians, that's where it would have ended.

Unfortunately, they are.

Flash forward to last week. Gillard's poll figures are looking atrocious (31% of people would vote for her, and she has an approval rating of 38%), promising a landslide defeat in the next election. So, Rudd's supporters (and again, most likely the man himself) have being stirring up discontent in the ranks. Eventually one guy named Simon Crean (an annoying weasel of a man) called for a leadership spill. So Gillard nominates herself to lead the party, of course, and... no one challenges. Rudd didn't step up (keeping to his vow, or trying to save face when he knew he'd lose?), so we end up back at square one, but with the additional factors that;
a) the media has been solely focused on the internal divisions in labor for the past few weeks, giving the opposition a free ride.
b) a large block of Rudd supporters announced they won't be contesting their seats at the election (which happens to be disproportionately those MPs that had very safe seats; a bad thing going into what was already a bad election)
c) the Libs have a whole shitload of ammo to use in the upcoming campaign.

Now for the real tragedy. I didn't actually mind Gillard too much as a leader. For all her irritating language and mannerisms (seriously, watch her hands when she talks), she did get a few good things through. It isn't easy holding onto the government by as little as a single seat. Plus, as I lean rather left, the fact that the Green's managed to have a bit more clout during her election was to me a good thing; I liked the Carbon Tax. I'm young, and relatively unaffected by it, so caring for the environment makes more sense to me than trying to save $30 a year or whatever the stupid figure amounted to for the average Aussie. Gillard also continued to support the National Broadband Network brought in under Rudd, and our country survived the financial crisis unscathed.

She wasn't ideal, but she wasn't terrible either.

By contrast, the leader of the opposition,

Spoiler: Tony Abbott (click to show/hide)

is a conservative nutbag who thinks climate change is filthy lies, has a history of misogynistic and similarly disturbing comments, opposes the NBN, and whose primary political policy had been saying the opposite of whatever the government said for much of their term.

He's going to win, a lot of good progress is going to go out the window, and thanks to the Labor party being a bunch of vindictive children, there is nothing we can do about it :'(

DISENGAGE

TL:DR? The political left is about to get reamed, we have a long, dark, conservative future, and it's all because all our pollies are arseholes.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2013, 07:24:33 am »

Well, give it four years, and we will start to remember what Liberal rule is all about.
I honestly feel bad for the gay community in Australia. So fucking close to gay marriage, and now they will need to wait another four years of injustice for another shot... Fuck you Gillard. Fuck you in the fuck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 163