Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 193736 times)

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #2280 on: April 09, 2019, 07:16:17 am »

Rather than impose arbitrary restrictions on live streaming or other online content, they should just hold the companies liable for any content they distribute that violates the law. The private sector can then figure out how to comply.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: April 09, 2019, 12:08:38 pm »

Rather than impose arbitrary restrictions on live streaming or other online content, they should just hold the companies liable for any content they distribute that violates the law. The private sector can then figure out how to comply.

Big companies don’t like being given “don’t let you’re users do X or we’ll punish you” and generally solve the problem by making it impossible to do X by as broad a means as possible, like how YouTube is so afraid of being large-scale sued by a media corporation that it’s system makes it fantastically easy to shut down channels and steal revenue just by going “yah thas mine youtub plz delet”
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: April 10, 2019, 02:46:56 am »

Yeah, the whole point of the DMCA safe harbor provisions are that service providers aren't liable for infringing content created by end users.

Essentially, it's like saying that the postal service isn't liable for aiding a terrorist if they deliver a package with a bomb inside since they're not expected to police the contents of people's mail.

Of course, that level of privacy now only exists in the physical world. We seem to have become a society that accepts having their digital communication open to examination by their government, their ISP and any sufficiently wealthy private businesses.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: April 10, 2019, 12:25:31 pm »

We seem to have become a society that accepts having their digital communication open to examination by their government, their ISP and any sufficiently wealthy private businesses.

Yep.  But they are now taking it to the next level and switching 'examination' for 'censorship'.  Not only in special cases either but as a general blanket provision.  :-X

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: April 10, 2019, 09:43:46 pm »

We live in a pacific society
Bottom aboriginal art painting
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: April 10, 2019, 10:50:14 pm »

Depends how you view it I suppose. Newspapers and broadcasters are responsible for the content they distribute, so if you view Facebook as a broadcaster it isn't completely unreasonable. I'm far more concerned by draconian copyright enforcement than Google et al being fined for distributing illegal content.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: April 14, 2019, 05:49:46 am »

I'm off to Uluru. It's the biggest rock I can find to hide under until the choice between a turd burger or a shit sandwich is made.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: May 17, 2019, 09:39:49 pm »

Judgement day falls upon Australia.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: May 17, 2019, 10:56:52 pm »

I considered putting this in the Laugh thread, but this was easier to find: one of the only good things about this election nonsense is the gambling.
I mean, I'm not much of a gambler myself, but the idea of people putting down money on which daft politicians are going to win this shitfight, same as they would a horse race or a rugby match, is hilarious.
All the ads calling on me to chuck a bet on the election are deeply amusing.

Also apparently at least one of the nearby polling booths has vego options on its sausage sizzle. Silver linings, I guess.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: May 18, 2019, 01:18:07 am »

Hah, vegan 'democracy sausages?' Nah, I'll take mine original, filled with testicles, eyeballs and all the other bits of meat you can't usually sell.

My local school apparently subscribes to the Bunnings method of onion beneath the sausage, not on top. Heathen barbarians.

Don't really know why I bothered to show up, anyhow. My electorate's pretty much a sure bet for the LNP. Somewhere in the top five for the state, for sure.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: May 18, 2019, 02:53:22 am »

Lucky duck. Apart from the junkies mine is mostly full of various lefty degenerates who apparently managed to get their hands/claws on a copy of the communist manifesto in whatever sewer they crawled out of uh, left-leaning types. 😅

Edit: wait, what's wrong with onion under the sausage? I for one like a lot of onion, and if you pile it all on top you're just asking for spillage.
Of course, you can always put extra onion on top as well. Can never have too much onion. On a related note, I learned, far too late, that the place with vego options actually closed their sausage sizzle at 4. I just assumed it'd be open as long as the polls themselves. Whoops.

At least I realised that before trekking all the way to Preston to avail myself of free food. I just went to the nearest place, some senior citizens' centre, instead.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 03:00:37 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: May 18, 2019, 10:40:16 am »

And thus we end with the same mob as before.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-18/federal-election-result-2019-antony-green-calls-shock-victory/11126536

Looks like Bill Shorten is throwing in the towel. Can't say I blame the bloke, it sucks to be the funny looking kid that always gets picked last for sports.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: May 19, 2019, 11:35:55 pm »

Not sure I'd ever heard of this Antony Green fella before now, but he looks like Rowan Atkinson's long-lost brother, or possibly cousin.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Cheesy Honkers

• Bay Watcher
  • eat the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: May 23, 2019, 10:01:16 am »

straya best country in streyah
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 163