Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 192528 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #2295 on: June 05, 2019, 06:19:35 pm »

So the police have raided a journalist's home, siezed his phone and computers, and raided the ABC offices too.

I expect China is likely congratulating its Australian friends in proper guidance of the state journalism mouthpiece.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: June 05, 2019, 10:51:13 pm »

Sheesh, anybody would think that you want to congratulate those journalists for reporting on Aussie troops killing children in Afghanistan on the one hand, and on the other of uncovering internal government plans to spy on citizens without any need for a warrant.  Next thing you know someone will invoke that dreadful 'Democracy' word.   >:(

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: June 06, 2019, 02:36:25 am »

"We would like to thank the intrepid journalists who revealed an insidious plot to uncover government plans for spying on private citizens"

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: June 06, 2019, 10:13:48 am »

Well, what is the reason?
Love, scriver~

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: June 06, 2019, 09:47:20 pm »

Isn't it fortunate this terrible crime against Australian security occurred after the election?

I'm sure that the government incumbent would have had no large swing against it if this had occurred immediately prior to the populace general voting in selection of their leadership.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: June 07, 2019, 01:11:12 am »

Apparently it has to do with some stories about the war in Afghanistan that were published a while back, and looks to be the government trying to find the source of the leak in Defence.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: June 07, 2019, 02:36:41 am »

But perhaps really to make sure matters of public interest are not open to scrutiny.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: June 07, 2019, 03:23:39 am »

Regardless of the reason, it would be nice to see the channel finally FOAD.
Also it sounds like they were up to some pretty treasonous stuff. *shrug*   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: June 07, 2019, 11:27:30 pm »

Regardless of the reason, it would be nice to see the channel finally FOAD.
Also it sounds like they were up to some pretty treasonous stuff. *shrug*   

And the Murdoch press as well?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-48511217

Although in that case the government have denied that there was any secret spying proposal even though the police are investigating a leak (of the non-existent proposal) on the grounds that it is an "an extremely serious matter that has the potential to undermine Australia's national security".  Something doesn't add up. 

As that article mentions police have also been in contact with Ben Fordam from 2GB (radio station, owned by yet another media organisation) in "an investigation that could lead to an AFP criminal investigation" regarding the sources for his story covering some asylum seeker boats trying to reach Australia. https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/media/radio-star-ben-fordham-targeted-after-australian-federal-police-raid-political-editor-annika-smethursts-home-over-spy-story/news-story/ee864fd6be6c84dfa108647565c7ee25

All within the space of a day or so. 

I doubt I am the only once seeing a pattern here which has little to do with spleens or the ABC.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: June 08, 2019, 09:58:29 am »

Our newspapers should know better. They obviously need to stick to reporting celebrity gossip, advertorials and sports. So long as they avoid any topic sensitive to the ruling government or their private contributors, all will be well.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: August 14, 2019, 02:19:23 pm »

A truly hilarious video (2:47) about the Australian Governments attempt to have a secret trial to protect national security Government corruption, prosecuting a whistleblower and his lawyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk3v4rKhseI

An slightly older, and definitely less funny, account of the same affair can be found here.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-28/witness-k-and-bernard-collaery-charged-intelligence-act-breach/9919268

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: August 15, 2019, 06:29:08 pm »

So one of our MPs compared China to Nazi Germany recently.

Obviously the owners of the sock-puppets in Canberra didn't feel too keen about this comment.

Makes me wonder whether we actually have a working democracy, when elected officials can't call a spade a spade.

Michelle Grattan did a decent discussion of the topic, which I enjoyed reading.

Also, we really need to stop screwing over our Pacific Islander neighbors. Otherwise, we're likely going to find they'll be looking to forge alliances with other nations. Anyone fancy a nice new Chinese naval base in Tonga? It probably isn't too far away. The Chinese are already having nice chats and photo-ops to strengthen relations, rather than sending Tonga's PM home in tears like dear Mr Morrison.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: August 16, 2019, 07:49:36 pm »

Pacific islands will survive climate crisis because they 'pick our fruit', Australia's deputy PM says

Gods, why did we have to get these mining mouthpieces as our elected officials?

These pacific island nations are looking for aid with their issues. Perhaps some of them stem from corruption, or poor resource management, or poor civil planning, rather than climate issues. But if Australia doesn't step up to the plate and help them, they can and will turn to other countries for assistance instead, and China is circling with quite clear intent.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: September 02, 2019, 04:49:03 am »

https://altcdn-stg.thewest.com.au/opinion/home-affairs-boss-wants-journalists-to-get-government-guidance-on-stories-ng-c88475f1f6975a2f87cc1702e5a8d1ae

Journalists with leaked national security information should seek approval from the ­government before ­telling their readers what’s going on.

That was a ­proposal put forward by Home Affairs boss Mike Pezzullo last week during an inquiry into media freedom.

Under the plan, “younger ­journalists” reading a document with “funny words on it” — his words, not mine — would be able to call government-appointed security experts who would explain how the story should be written.

Huh, "younger journalists" "funny words". What, do they think journalists are toddlers now. "Now, now little Bobby, don't read the funny words, write exactly what I'm telling you: 'government good, everything ok' "
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 04:51:23 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: December 22, 2019, 12:32:51 am »

I wish the LNP would do more/anything to combat the bushfire sitch.
Not that I particularly care about the stuff that's on fire, I just feel like they're alienating the bulk of their supporters. I guess that the folks currently in office are probably solely focused on lining their pockets as much as possible while they can, without worrying about whether they're likely to be re-elected. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 163