Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 192470 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #2385 on: May 17, 2020, 01:38:14 pm »

The only international you need in Sweden is the International
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: May 20, 2020, 04:11:12 am »

Lest We Forget

that time the Queensland police (during Premier Sir Joh's near Police State era) burnt a hippie commune to the ground.

https://olddogthoughts.com/2014/09/13/coming-to-a-place-near-you-cedar-bay-no-police-convicted-it-there-will-be-repitition/

They were after something or other, it's never been exactly confirmed, but when they didn't find whatever it was they were after, found a couple of dudes with some pot so burned a whole village to the ground. More or less to cover up the fact that they'd just wasted a ton of money on a navy vessel, helicopters, and planes to go and harass a few hippies.

Police, in their defence, tendered evidence of squalid living conditions and described the commune’s inhabitants as “filthy, criminal hippies”.

They maintained they had done the right thing because it was “in the public interest” to burn the settlement to the ground.

Just being a hippie, what more crime could there be?

EDIT: oh, and there's the bit where they basically trumped up charges against everyone, and then because apparently magistrates and hearings aren't a thing, they said the local magistrate wasn't available, so you can't have a trial then apparently, so they had a local court clerk "declare" the townships residents guilty of all crimes. That's how it apparently works in Queensland if the local magistrate is away. When it was pointed out that they can't do that, they released everyone then instantly re-arrested them on the same charges. Yup, so Sir Joh's guys tested the waters of putting random people in prison without a trial.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 06:02:00 am by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2387 on: May 20, 2020, 04:45:10 am »

See, that's the problem with running away from a broken system. It's like living far away from everyone because you think they think about things the wrong way, but you don't want to get preachy, so you just set off to cultivate your herbs in a faraway hillock. Only now you're a colony of witches poisoning the well and need boots on your face, because you're an outsider now

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: June 08, 2020, 08:12:21 pm »

So uh...is world war 3 about to start?

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/military/china-india-border-dispute-beijing-ready-to-deploy-troops-within-hours/news-story/80de30d4b99da310c59ed5c11403458a

That won't be good if an actual conflict starts. Being in the US, I'm not sure our ties to india. BUT...uh...that won't be good still.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: June 09, 2020, 02:48:56 am »

Looks like typical Chinese sabre-rattling to me. They like to make sure they show lots of pictures of their soldiers to make sure their citizens and neighbours are aware they're ready to put the big ol' boot down on the neck of anyone threatening their status quo.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: June 09, 2020, 04:39:06 am »

I'm hoping both countries are reasonable enough not to do a Spanish flu
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: June 19, 2020, 03:28:22 am »

Prime minister Scott Morrison held a press conference to inform the Australian population of an issue that has been ongoing for months.
Australia has been under cyber attack for the past couple of months.  According to Morrison, the attacks are so well organised and sophisticated that they have to be the work of a powerful nation.
"There are only very few countries in the world that have the means to execute such an attack", he says.
All levels of government have been targeted by the hackers, as well as business, educational facilities and healthcare systems.
Morrison claims he does not know which country is responsible for the cyberattacks.  He does say that the attacks have been ongoing for months, even though they have not caused large dataleaks yet.
Morrison tells ABC News that he chose to go public with this now, to let the Australian people know what is going on.He stresses that the threat is not any higher right now than it was the past few months.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: June 19, 2020, 04:15:30 am »

Morrison claims he does not know which country is responsible for the cyberattacks.

I don't think think this is exactly true, though I may of missed it. Morrison is not formally naming the country for diplomatic reasons, which is a little different. Everyone knows exactly which country he is refering to though.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: June 19, 2020, 04:28:52 am »

Ofcourse, obviously everyone knows.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: June 19, 2020, 06:00:17 am »

China or Russia?
Love, scriver~

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: June 19, 2020, 06:14:54 am »

Sweden. Always those sneaky Sweeds. Can't trust them I tell ya.

It's China. Chinese - Australian relationship is bad at the moment, not that its exactly ever good.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2396 on: June 19, 2020, 06:16:16 am »

Why can't Xi be normal ffs

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: June 19, 2020, 06:36:43 am »

It's them Tasmanian devils

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: June 19, 2020, 02:36:41 pm »

Why can't Xi be normal ffs

I thought he was... Putin normal, Trump normal... oh wait you mean normal like not a sociopathic power hungry billionaire megalomaniac?  You've got a point then.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: June 19, 2020, 11:27:56 pm »

I finally get it!

The NBN was actually a government defense project. If our enemies try to hack us, the connection speed is so slow you can just walk over and pull the cable out of the wall before they get anything important.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 163