Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 192461 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #2400 on: June 26, 2020, 11:05:28 pm »

So apparently the tools in power have actually placed a ban on large events due to Coronavirus.   
Now, don't get me wrong, I generally don't have too much of a problem with 'em - but this is just mind-blowingly stupid. I hope Scott, his "Chief Medical Officer" (dude sounds about as competent as the SS13 version) and all of their families catch the damn virus as penance. Heck, might as well give it to the opposition parties as well while we're at it. Especially the greens.   

What we need now is one of those silly mass Facebook events by way of protest. "Show Up On the Lawn of Parliament House and Share Coronavirus With Each Other" or something to that effect. Cunts shoulda known better than to let this daft hysteria impact everyone's social life.   

wow really, please tell me more about your qualified understanding

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: June 26, 2020, 11:49:22 pm »

Maaan, I made that post over three months ago and this shit's still going on.
I don't think any of those people caught Coronavirus, either. :(   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: June 27, 2020, 12:11:07 am »

The actions they took are the difference between what's going on here vs what's going on in America. Rather than being over the hump, new cases are actually rapidly accelerating in the USA right now. They've been skyrocketing for the last month in USA after a number of states said "ok fun's over we need to unlock now". The protests happening now aren't necessarily coincidental to the overall situation, there's a reason they started now and not other times.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Personally I think the poli's here would deserve to get the virus if they'd refused to lock down because the money machines must keep rolling.

Sorry I'm not really sympathetic to the issue with not being able to go to concerts and the like. I couldn't give a shit whether you get to go to concerts / pubs or whatever, just like you wouldn't give a shit if someone else couldn't do that.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 12:29:50 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: June 27, 2020, 04:47:16 am »

I couldn't give a shit whether you get to go to concerts / pubs or whatever, just like you wouldn't give a shit if someone else couldn't do that.
I'm not entirely sure what this means? I most likely wouldn't be going to gigs myself anyway, considering I'm currently living with family in the middle of nowhere (although the main reason I've been here so long is because the whole COVID thing happened shortly after I came here). Doubt I would be brave/foolish enough to set foot in any of the local pubs, either. The nearest place with live music and bars and people I would enjoy such things is about two hours away by train, and those only go once or twice a day at the best of times as far as I'm aware.   

Also, Exhumed cancelled their tour and that one-off Bestial Warlust show has been pushed to next year if it still goes ahead at all, so fuck you.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: June 28, 2020, 04:42:36 am »

Norway was supposed to host a three-day rock/metal festival this month with headliners like Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Dimmu Borgir, Enslaved, Ensiferum, Steel Panther... I'd arranged tickets (at significant expense) for me and my two closest friends. One whose favorite band of all time is Iron Maiden and had never seen them perform in Norway, but otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford the festival; and the other who has never been to a festival in her life (and was completely incapable of affording such an expense).

Naturally, a gathering of that size got axed due to COVID concerns. They're currently patching together as much of a festival as they can for 2021.

...and you know what? I'm glad. I'd much rather miss out on what would have certainly been a very enjoyable and exciting experience for the three of us, than continue to live in fear for a much longer time as this country goes through a greater collapse caused by not taking the pandemic risk seriously. Or, even worse, potentially lose a loved one because the larger spread managed to reach them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2405 on: June 29, 2020, 08:27:48 am »

...and you know what? I'm glad. I'd much rather miss out on what would have certainly been a very enjoyable and exciting experience for the three of us, than continue to live in fear for a much longer time as this country goes through a greater collapse caused by not taking the pandemic risk seriously. Or, even worse, potentially lose a loved one because the larger spread managed to reach them.
I wish more people here agreed with you Kagus. So far a large number of my friends, even ones who work in biomedical research or medicine, still believe that the corona is not something to be worried about. I even had a distressing conversation with a lab technician at my local kebab vendor who said corona wasn't a virus, but was a bacteria. One of my good friends who works in medical research butt heads with me constantly over this very issue - saying it was stupid to lockdown and wreck the economy over a few deaths. I kept trying to explain that if we locked down and controlled the pandemic, we would spend less time in lockdown than if we did nothing, and there would be less completely preventable deaths. So fixated on the economy, yet how on earth did he expect people to continue to work when going to work runs the risk of dying? In the end you get no economy, countries that did lockdown close their borders with you, and you sacrificed many of your own people for benefits that never materialised. This doesn't have to be an issue if people take it seriously but... Well, there are always exceptions

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: July 06, 2020, 09:50:26 pm »

Pauline Hanson got dumped as a Channel 9's morning show commentator over racist comments she made about the people in lockdown in Victoria's public housing estates - labeling everyone in the buildings as drug addicts / alcoholics who should learn to speak English. Which I'm pretty sure isn't accurate, and is also pretty nasty - labeling a bunch of poor people who are locked in a plague-ridden building as being subhuman scum basically rather than having any sympathy.

Some people I spoke to were commending Channel 9 for dropping Hanson, as if they'd earned brownie points for firing her over controversial statements. However, and it's a big however, they hired her fully well knowing her history of inaccurate and racist comments rivaling anything she said on the show this time (which they must have known since they go back literally 25 years). It's as if CNN hired David Duke as a commentator, then he inevitably said something like "the final solution is to gas the jews!" on live television, and they fired him and said "who could have foreseen him saying something so offensive?!?" and expect to get kudos for firing him.

EDIT No, they don't hire someone who's notorious for racism and making controversial statements without knowing what they were doing. Hanson was more or less human clickbait for the show she was on, and they were hoping that she said things that were controversial, just not too controversial. Just controversial enough to pull more eyeballs but not so controversial that people tune into a different morning show (all the major channels have competing morning shows) or to the point that they start losing advertisers. The problem is that Hanson just isn't bright enough to play the game well enough to keep her spot on a TV show let alone sustain any of the political comebacks she keeps trying.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 10:04:13 pm by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: July 07, 2020, 05:38:06 am »

I wish more people here agreed with you Kagus. So far a large number of my friends, even ones who work in biomedical research or medicine, still believe that the corona is not something to be worried about. I even had a distressing conversation with a lab technician at my local kebab vendor who said corona wasn't a virus, but was a bacteria. One of my good friends who works in medical research butt heads with me constantly over this very issue - saying it was stupid to lockdown and wreck the economy over a few deaths. I kept trying to explain that if we locked down and controlled the pandemic, we would spend less time in lockdown than if we did nothing, and there would be less completely preventable deaths. So fixated on the economy, yet how on earth did he expect people to continue to work when going to work runs the risk of dying? In the end you get no economy, countries that did lockdown close their borders with you, and you sacrificed many of your own people for benefits that never materialised. This doesn't have to be an issue if people take it seriously but... Well, there are always exceptions
I walk the middle road.  Since bars and pubs re-opened, I've been out to my home pub 3 times.
I will not go inside, but sitting outside on the terrace and having a beer at 1.5m distance seems reasonably safe, with most medical experts agreeing now that there are no signs that the virus spreads easily, or at all in the outside air unless someone coughs you in the face on purpose at point blank range. If it gets too crowded for my liking I go home.
Going to the supermarket, or to your indoor job is a much bigger risk, but hey, we all still do that cause we need to get paid, eat and wipe our arses.

I do totally agree though that mass events and concerts with 100s or 1000s of people remain forbidden for now.
But, there really should be compensation for the theatres, concert halls and artists though, or they will all go bankrupt.
I am totally appalled that our air travel industries get billions of financial aid, as well as have all restrictions on social distancing in airplanes lifted (the only thing you need is a facemask, then it's okay to be stuffed into an aluminum can like sardines), while our art and entertainment sectors get scraps.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 05:40:13 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: July 07, 2020, 06:15:49 am »

That's all right they're already bankrupt creatively
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: July 07, 2020, 06:51:03 am »

Huh?
Oh, wait, you're from the UK

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: July 07, 2020, 07:25:04 am »

No I'm not, you're more from the UK than I am
Love, scriver~

Cheesy Honkers

• Bay Watcher
  • eat the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: July 07, 2020, 10:37:34 am »

You're all more from the UK than me. I am the most away from the UK. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2412 on: July 07, 2020, 10:47:25 am »

Everywhere is the UK if you're aggressive enough

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: July 07, 2020, 10:51:43 am »

No I'm not, you're more from the UK than I am

Hmm I thought you were haha... Reads profile... 'the other switzerland'... Let's see... Country with mountains, and goats and tunnels rigged with explosives.... Afghanistan?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: July 07, 2020, 10:54:22 am »

Hehe, no, Swedenland, the one with the chocolate and the  cheese
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163