Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: EÄ (Lord of The Rings) [1.4]  (Read 54468 times)

Floppypig

• Bay Watcher
  • looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
    • View Profile
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: EÄ (Lord of The Rings) [1.3]
« Reply #136 on: January 01, 2015, 02:16:13 am »

I still think plate mail is fine.. I honestly don't care
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 01, 2015, 08:08:18 am »

I think the more immediate question should be "Can it be removed without balance issues or bugs?"

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 01, 2015, 11:14:48 am »

I do to think removing all sets of x type of armor from the races would have much affect. Would it?

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 01, 2015, 12:12:00 pm »

Weapons were designed with the assumption of Plate being in the game.  It's it's removed, edged weapons will be relatively more powerful

I also did some checking, and although Breastplates definately don't appear in Middle Earth, Vambraces and Greaves are mentioned, so it seems some smaller plate armor items would be available.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 01, 2015, 02:19:17 pm »

For people talking about gunpowder existing, that existed for quite a while before full plate was invented, which it probably was not in Middle Earth, at least at the time of Lord of the Rings. It may have been invented during the Fourth Age (of the Sun), although the books would not cover it.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 01, 2015, 04:36:47 pm »

Then what was that explosive crap they used to blow up the walls?
(I've only read the hobbit and fellowship so this movie scene in talking about may not be in the book)

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 01, 2015, 04:41:59 pm »

Then what was that explosive crap they used to blow up the walls?
(I've only read the hobbit and fellowship so this movie scene in talking about may not be in the book)
The bomb used in the Two Towers was most likely using gunpowder, perhaps created by Saruman through primitive alchemy or real magic, as he is a Wizard.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2015, 12:12:00 am »

Well it could have even just been regular production no alchemy/magic needed, the ingredients are simple and the mix doesn't have to be perfect for bombs

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2015, 12:39:41 am »

I'm currently re-reading LotR, and am near the end of Fellowship.  It's been 15 years, so I can't remember if there was a bomb in the books or not.  I don't think so.  But we'll see soon enough.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2015, 12:47:54 am »

The orcs use a "blasting fire" devised by Saruman in the book, without particularly describing what kind of technology/magic is involved

Floppypig

• Bay Watcher
  • looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 03, 2015, 04:01:07 am »

The orcs use a "blasting fire" devised by Saruman in the book, without particularly describing what kind of technology/magic is involved
Maybe some sort of more intense version of greek fire?
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 03, 2015, 06:10:53 am »

Maybe some sort of more intense version of greek fire?

The Enemy do use incendiaries in other battles, but the device at the Hornburg does not really sound like an effect you'd get from naphtha & quicklime.

"Then there was a crash and a flash of flame and smoke.  The waters of the Deeping-stream poured out hissing and foaming: they were choked no longer, a gaping hole was blasted in the wall."

Did Saruman use chemistry or magic or both...  Who knows?

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 03, 2015, 08:11:17 am »

Gunpowder existing shows up in more than just the bomb at Helm's Deep - Gandalf is famous in the Shire for his Fireworks.

Gunpowder wouldn't really contradict the technology level.  The technology fits the the Early Medieval period from AD 500-1000.  Gunpowder was invented in AD 900 in China.  So, if the books fit the end of the Early Medieval period, Gunpower would exist, but be rare, strange, and something only the most knowledgeable know about.  This point would also fit the level of armor - Plate was just beginning to appear, but only in small pieces and being very rare and expensive:  The only person mentioned to have any referenced is Prince Imrahil, and it only mentions vambraces)

So, Gunpowder could be in, but very rare, perhaps only creatable by Wizards.  Small pieces of plate could be in the game (Vambraces, Greaves, possibly helms), but not have a reaction to create them, limiting them to artifacts, making the few pieces very rare and valuable.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 03, 2015, 04:31:28 pm »

Plate is pretty common in the movies, but not the books I guess. Common enough to be standard issue, even.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is this just an artistic decision? Is their equipment described in the books? I honestly don't remember.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14