Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: EÄ (Lord of The Rings) [1.4]  (Read 54057 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: EÄ (Lord of The Rings) [1.3]
« Reply #165 on: January 04, 2015, 01:33:03 am »

Ok the hobbit movies weren't that bad
I mean sure they didn't stick to the book very well at all but as stand alone movies they were pretty good..... As long as you don't compare how closely they followed the book....
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Floppypig

• Bay Watcher
  • looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 04, 2015, 01:35:14 am »

Umm the point was that chai mail can't take piercing attacks for crap.
The only way that guy took so many arrows would have either been plate armor or him being ungodly pain resistant.
Butted mail used by some reenactors sucks and cannot take a cut by a blunted knife but riveted which is accurate can not be pierced but but by the strongest bows and arrows and plate cannot even be pierced by arrows to the point where it hurts you
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 01:39:18 am by Floppypig »
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 04, 2015, 01:38:42 am »

Ok the hobbit movies weren't that bad
I mean sure they didn't stick to the book very well at all but as stand alone movies they were pretty good..... As long as you don't compare how closely they followed the book....
Have you seem the Battle of Five Armies movie?

I love the first one, the second one was decent, but the third just have logic the complete middle finger, over antagonized the Master, Alfred, Thandriel, and Thorin, stretched out the death scenes to make them excruciatingly painful, and gave so much false hope to those who had not read the book.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 04, 2015, 01:41:53 am »

The book makes it sound like there were a lot more arrows than the movie depicted

Yeah... you really can't expect anything from the film to be very representative of the book.  Most of Fellowship is pretty good, but past that very little of any of the films, LotR or Hobbit, is very faithfully translated.  Even where the core plot points are the same, the details make for a completely different style and presentation.

And this is why I resent the films so much... because they will probably muddy every discussion I will ever have with anyone about anything Tolkien for eternity.
Have you seen the latest Hobbit movie? It's complete crap. At least the Lord of the Rings movies were still good.

I didn't even bother to watch any of the Hobbit movies, and I never will.  I'd had enough after LotR.

My reaction to Fellowship - "It had some problems, but easily stuff I can overlook.  This is still so damn exciting, I can't wait for the next one!!!!"
My reaction to Two Towers - "Umm... ok, I can still stomach it.  He made a lot of changes that made no sense to me, but I guess I still enjoyed it.  I'm really apprehensive about Return of the King, but I'll still go see it."
My reaction to RotK - "Peter Jackson is my mortal enemy.  This was pure cash-grabbing garbage."

And it had been a few years since I'd read the books (for the second time) when the trilogy came out, so at the time, I didn't even catch everything that he'd changed.  Re-reading them again now, I'm catching loads and loads of stuff that is different and makes absolutely no sense for any directorial purpose to have been changed, but alters the audience's perspective of the characters.  Not a single character portrayal in the films seems to match up with the way they're written, except maybe Aragon.  His personality was mostly intact, but he was fucked up in other ways.

The Hobbit was the first novel I ever read, and I continued to read Tolkien all throughout my childhood.  His writing was a huge influence on who I am.  So the movies are a major sore spot for me.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 01:48:16 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Floppypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 04, 2015, 01:47:55 am »

The book makes it sound like there were a lot more arrows than the movie depicted

Yeah... you really can't expect anything from the film to be very representative of the book.  Most of Fellowship is pretty good, but past that very little of any of the films, LotR or Hobbit, is very faithfully translated.  Even where the core plot points are the same, the details make for a completely different style and presentation.

And this is why I resent the films so much... because they will probably muddy every discussion I will ever have with anyone about anything Tolkien for eternity.
Have you seen the latest Hobbit movie? It's complete crap. At least the Lord of the Rings movies were still good.

I didn't even bother to watch any of the Hobbit movies, and I never will.  I'd had enough after LotR.

My reaction to Fellowship - "It had some problems, but easily stuff I can overlook.  This is still so damn exciting, I can't wait for the next one!!!!"
My reaction to Two Towers - "Umm... ok, I can still stomach it.  He made a lot of changes that made no sense to me, but I guess I still enjoyed it.  I'm really apprehensive about Return of the King, but I'll still go see it."
My reaction to RotK - "Peter Jackson is my mortal enemy.  This was pure cash-grabbing garbage."

And it had been a few years since I'd read the books (for the second time) when the trilogy came out, so at the time, I didn't even catch everything that he'd changed.  Re-reading them again now, I'm catching loads and loads of stuff that is different and makes absolutely no sense for any directorial purpose to have been changed, but alters the audience's perspective of the characters.

The Hobbit was the first novel I ever read, and I continued to read Tolkien all throughout my childhood.  His writing was a huge influence on who I am.  So the movies are a major sore spot for me.
SPOT ON YESH

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 04, 2015, 01:58:00 am »

Yes I saw five armies and while it wasn't great I thought it was good if not being compared to the book.
Sure the deaths were over exaggerated and all but most movies do that anyways.
And you have to admit the dwarves in full armor looking like walking tanks were awesome
I just loved it because it made me think of what DF would look like, not much thought of the book in mind to be honest
I loved it.
Sorry we have different opinions

Floppypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 04, 2015, 02:24:15 am »

Yes I saw five armies and while it wasn't great I thought it was good if not being compared to the book.
Sure the deaths were over exaggerated and all but most movies do that anyways.
And you have to admit the dwarves in full armor looking like walking tanks were awesome
I just loved it because it made me think of what DF would look like, not much thought of the book in mind to be honest
I loved it.
Sorry we have different opinions
It looked like a cartoon why is the dwarf riding a pig dwarf fortress is based on real armour and weapons IMAGINE IT BETTER

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 04, 2015, 02:26:58 am »

It's not all that off of what I would expect of a DF dwarf, battle rams and pigs aren't all that bad choices for mounts for short people either since pigs can take quite a bit of physical damage and hold plenty of weight and rams are well rams

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 04, 2015, 02:31:35 am »

I can't begrudge someone enjoying a movie for what it is, and I expect that if I didn't know Tolkien's work prior, that I would have really enjoyed Jackson's films.

I just think it's rotten when people earn the rights to the name of someone else's work just so they can get rich off writing what's basically an alternative universe fan-fiction.  There's nothing wrong with fan-fiction, but if that's what you're going to make, you can join the hordes of internet fan-fic writers who do it for fun.  Don't market your work as an adaptation just so you can get rich off someone else's name.  There's nothing more important about you than random person on Livejournal that makes you deserve this.  Or if what you really want is to write your own story, then do it and sell it as your own.

I've reached the point that I avoid movie adaptations, because I just can't stomach handing over my money to that sort of attitude.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Floppypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 04, 2015, 02:33:22 am »

It's not all that off of what I would expect of a DF dwarf, battle rams and pigs aren't all that bad choices for mounts for short people either since pigs can take quite a bit of physical damage and hold plenty of weight and rams are well rams
Have you read the book lotr the style of warfare is based on old northern european warfare saxon and viking no crossbows no plate only nobles and rich land owners had armour the orcs are around 4 feet average the largest described is Almost man high wearing black mail their skin is not green but more sallow they not only made a different story but a different world and why the hell is azog there and why is he seven feet tall
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 02:35:30 am by Floppypig »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 04, 2015, 02:34:34 am »

For the tenth freaking time I said it was good for me if not compared to the book!

Floppypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 04, 2015, 02:36:37 am »

For the tenth freaking time I said it was good for me if not compared to the book!
Just know even peter jacksons lotr is not like the book i loved that book and want to murder peter jackson for what he made it into

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 04, 2015, 02:41:18 am »

Oh God I'm so sorry for this derail. Should we take this to general discussion?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 04, 2015, 02:42:19 am »

No I'm done repeating myself

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 04, 2015, 02:43:23 am »

The DF does not work that way. If you want a cutting attack to inflict blunt wound, that won't work... Also there's no -quality-, =quality=, +quality+ etc in the real life, at least it does not work like in DF (where material suddenly becomes godly), so you have to adapt.

Material doesn't improve at all with quality... just coverage, AFAIK.
Oh hey Putnam, I trust you on this one. I forgot how quality affects the new material system; in the past it used to make weapon attacks just X times more effective.

Also holy batman that's a lot of arguing going on. Calm your tits guys, there is no plate armor, just open helms and breastplates for everyone but dwarves :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14