Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: EÄ (Lord of The Rings) [1.4]  (Read 54450 times)

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
Re: EÄ (Lord of The Rings) [1.3]
« Reply #180 on: January 04, 2015, 02:46:19 am »

It's not all that off of what I would expect of a DF dwarf, battle rams and pigs aren't all that bad choices for mounts for short people either since pigs can take quite a bit of physical damage and hold plenty of weight and rams are well rams
Have you read the book lotr the style of warfare is based on old northern european warfare saxon and viking no crossbows no plate only nobles and rich land owners had armour the orcs are around 4 feet average the largest described is Almost man high wearing black mail their skin is not green but more sallow they not only made a different story but a different world and why the hell is azog there and why is he seven feet tall
Jackson needed a face for the army and only the most comical creature was good enough, I suppose.

Also, why are the Orcs completely mindless killing machines whose weapons are completely horrible quality, yet still manage to kill everyone's favorite characters from time to time?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 04, 2015, 02:48:14 am »

I don't think they are all poor quality, I think a lot of them just look really crappy. At least if we are going by the movies.........
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 04, 2015, 02:48:18 am »

I don't think anyone was argumentative until the last couple posts, and I don't think it's going any further.

Anyway, I really need to try this mod.  I think I'll start a world generation before I go to bed.  Didn't someone magic up a Middle-Earth map in Perfect World, also?

And would there be any compatibility issues with this in the most recent DF?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Floppypig

• Bay Watcher
  • looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 04, 2015, 02:58:51 am »

It's not all that off of what I would expect of a DF dwarf, battle rams and pigs aren't all that bad choices for mounts for short people either since pigs can take quite a bit of physical damage and hold plenty of weight and rams are well rams
Have you read the book lotr the style of warfare is based on old northern european warfare saxon and viking no crossbows no plate only nobles and rich land owners had armour the orcs are around 4 feet average the largest described is Almost man high wearing black mail their skin is not green but more sallow they not only made a different story but a different world and why the hell is azog there and why is he seven feet tall
Jackson needed a face for the army and only the most comical creature was good enough, I suppose.

Also, why are the Orcs completely mindless killing machines whose weapons are completely horrible quality, yet still manage to kill everyone's favorite characters from time to time?
In the books they were cowardly creatures around as intelligent as a man but somewhat less so their weapons are low quality because they are mass produced they still do the job well enough
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 04, 2015, 03:06:08 am »

They're actually related to elves.  When the elves were first created, Morgoth captured a bunch and tortured and twisted them to his will, and then bred them.  I imagine orcs should be to elves sort of like Gollum is to hobbits, but more cruel.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 04, 2015, 03:08:10 am »

They're actually related to elves.  When the elves were first created, Morgoth captured a bunch and tortured and twisted them to his will, and then bred them.  I imagine orcs should be to elves sort of like Gollum is to hobbits, but more cruel.

Gollum can be pretty cruel when his conscious doesn't butt in
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Floppypig

• Bay Watcher
  • looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 04, 2015, 03:12:48 am »

Gollum can be pretty cruel when his conscious doesn't butt in
In the book he was pretty much irredeemable
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 04, 2015, 09:27:20 am »

I don't think anyone was argumentative until the last couple posts, and I don't think it's going any further.

Anyway, I really need to try this mod.  I think I'll start a world generation before I go to bed.  Didn't someone magic up a Middle-Earth map in Perfect World, also?

And would there be any compatibility issues with this in the most recent DF?
You would have to take and replace the whole /raw/ folder for the new DF, and the creatures would not be geldable, but otherwise it works.
Also if you play graphical mode, you need to copy the tileset and adjust d_init.txt accordingly.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 27, 2015, 11:28:00 pm »

Any chance of this getting updated to 40.24?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 29, 2015, 05:21:45 am »

I am on vacation now, so I will try to update it via phone. It's taking a lot of time though, since typing and copy-pasting on the phone is very difficult. I will keep vanilla plants/trees as they are in DF for the first update, since I won't manage to remake all plants on the phone.

I am in a process of removing obsolete tokens/adding gaits to all animals now. I think I am 30% through already.

I will keep the other changes in this post so I don't forget what to put in changelog.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:22:16 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 29, 2015, 11:41:56 am »

Holy crap.  It's not that urgent.  Trying to edit huge text files on your phone sounds like a shitty vacation.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: EÄ (Lord of The Rings) [1.4]
« Reply #191 on: July 30, 2015, 05:24:25 am »

1.4 ASCII version is out:

- Added gaits to all animals.
- Fixed cold-drake description.
- Added smell and nightvision to proper races. Goblins, orcs and trolls smell a lot.
- Great spiders can climb.
- Added horses, donkeys and mules to the list of domestic animals.
- Removed tigermen and giant cheetah.
- Giant toads are no longer building destroyers.
- Added Middle-Earth worldgen.
- Removed a few DF specific cavern monsters, new tolkienesque monsters are to come later.
- Elven king/queen position instead of "queen", elven "prince/princess" position instead of "princess".
- Added cultural values to all races.

TO DO:
- Make animals geldable.
- Worldgen MIDDLE-EARTH is tweaked for vanilla DF, it needs tweaking to work smoothly with this mod.
- Plants/trees need remake (they are vanilla plants now).
- Graphical version must be done.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 08, 2015, 06:17:39 pm »

That's a nice looking map :D

ungeniusidea

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 27, 2016, 10:10:22 pm »

A lot of this is really cool. Too bad I can't get a world to gen in the most recent version.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 27, 2016, 10:35:18 pm »

I hear ya.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14