Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Dwarven Architecture  (Read 21768 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Architecture
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 01:16:21 pm »

what program are you using to replicate your build? (macro)
I use the integral macros (Ctrl+R, Ctrl+P)plus DFhack. One of the plugins prioritizes the last material selected rather than the nearest material from the construct list. Without it you need to do alot of forbidding to macro construction.

zimluura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 01:34:14 pm »

zimluura, your post looks amazing! That's the kind of feat I want to replicate, but haven't quite got the skill/organization to do so yet :P
Thanks!  I'm sure you can do it.  Just try making a waterfall somewhere.  Exploity_Trick: you can drain excess water off the map by tunneling to the edge, smoothing the very edge, and then carving a fortification there.  After I succeeded once it seemed like I got hooked on them.  Now I try to put them everywhere.

To the south are the desalination pumps.  North-west the hospital.  North-east the training rooms.  The central-ish pit is surrounded by the stair-way that goes all the way down to the magma forges.
Have you considered ramps instead of staircases in that?
I haven't really, I like to visualize a grand stairway spiralling downward.  I guess if i did it with ramps i'd be able to have a track for mine carts, and have the trade depot down there.  Any other reasons i'm not seeing?

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 02:05:27 pm »

Bladeshoots

Old Stonesense screenshot
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sadly, I never did get around to completely finishing it, but it's pretty damn close to being done. For the particular DFMA link I used, all I can say is "Thank god for closed systems."

And yes, it's a 40d fort.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 02:27:44 pm »

I just build things in the space left over after I mine out valuable minerals, for the most part.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

Gahagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 10:32:33 am »

I've been building into the sides of mountains with my last few forts, going for kind of a World of Warcraft / Skyrim type Dwarf style.

Current top level, the hospital, with trade depot one level above that for easy caravan access.

Most of the current surface bedrooms, with tombs behind.

One level below that, a barracks, the meeting hall, and bulk storage.

Current bottom level, more barracks, and the beginnings of some militia bedrooms.

And in Stonesense

Eastern watchtower, and all four main barracks.

The beginnings of the kitchens and developed farming industry to the left, most of the area at the top will likely be bedrooms.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 11:58:41 am »

To the south are the desalination pumps.  North-west the hospital.  North-east the training rooms.  The central-ish pit is surrounded by the stair-way that goes all the way down to the magma forges.
Have you considered ramps instead of staircases in that?
I haven't really, I like to visualize a grand stairway spiralling downward.  I guess if i did it with ramps i'd be able to have a track for mine carts, and have the trade depot down there.  Any other reasons i'm not seeing?
I think you save on travel time too.

But mainly, I simply thought it grand enough that the ramps could serve as steps, rather than have them abstracted into > and <.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 11:06:40 pm »

entrance:
a walled-off and roofed "bunker" approximately 22x22 or so, the entrances consist of 1 tile wide hallways to the north, south, east and west filled with cage traps and doors at the end which lead to a pen full of war rutherers. Notice the retracting bridge part at the south west part of the walls, i retract that when im expecting caravans to arrive soon, inside is a depot sealed off by bridges which i lower when im sure the merchants have securely unloaded.

I have the farm space shown available for above-ground crops, the north east corner also counts, its just a level lower. On this level and the level above is my refuse stockpiles that dump into a smaller quantum one at the middle of the next level and 6 butcher shops. 1 more level higher is my slaughtery which is a 1x1 pit with a repeating spike used to butcher wild animals.

workshop:
a section of my workshops, the most important ones are located near the middle and the less important ones are to the sides. I have about 3-4 Z levels of workshop design like this. The kitchens are mostly walled to prevent miasma spread in case food rots there (rarely). Any workshop can be walled off for strange mooders but i have enough war animals to pen near the workshop and maintain order with minimal injury to civilians at this point.

Quantum stockpile:
main stockpile that accepts everything except things that really need to be stacked and refuse.

drink/ammo stockpile:
i make mainly bone bolts so i need bins and a normal stockpile to store ammo. Drinks require containers that a QSP cannot have.

dining room:
a legendary dining room fully masterwork engraved with enough seating for a 400 population of dwarves. It consists of tables surrounding masterwork statues with masterwork terraniums at the sides that display tortured goblin weapon masters that led sieges against my fortress if they survive a brief period of poking...i have not yet had any survivors

quarters:
all dwarves in my fortress with the exception of nobles who require something better, get masterwork engraved 1x3 quarters complete with a bed, chest, and cabinet. The rooms to the east on this level are for my mayor and captain of the guard, the room to the west is for my monarch (who will probly never show up, as this civ im playing has no important leaders). I have about 5 levels of these and can add more if needed, right now i have a capacity for about 400 dwarves.

Important dwarves that are essential to running my fort or simply dwarves who are married (my civ is kinda a refugee civ so very few dwarves are married) get rooms closer to the center of the stairs so they walk slightly less.

zimluura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 01:00:10 am »

I think you save on travel time too.

But mainly, I simply thought it grand enough that the ramps could serve as steps, rather than have them abstracted into > and <.

Hmmmmmm...Interesting!  A grand ramp spiraling downward like a cork-screw sounds good too!  It'll be easier to explore with an adventurer after the fort dies from clowns.  I'll try that on the first big fort in the new version :)

DethBrand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 04:59:42 am »

Hey everybody let's measure our architectural wangs! All of these designs are standard for any non-theme fortress I build.

This is my entrance. It provides a large outdoor area to plant above ground crops, maintain hives, and raise livestock while providing two levels of security. The main perimeter and the 11x11 fortress entrance can be secured by separate drawbridges allowing two levels of protection.
These are my stockpiles. Each stockpile has an area of 55 urists and is positioned directly beside relevant workshops and relevant stockpiles. A mason can take a stone 4 paces to the shop then take the chair 4 paces to the furniture stockpile. Hyper efficient.

These are my quarters. This setup provides 40 bedrooms containing one armor stand, one weapon rack,  a table and chair, two chests, a cabinet, a door and a bed. These rooms go to dwarves who are considered important to the fortress, that usually ends up being 50% of the fort.

Garbage dwarves sleep in dormitories at the end of the hall. Occasionally if one impresses me but not eough to warrant his own room I'll assign them their own bed in the dorm.

This is the dining hall. I like keeping them small because anectdotal evidence suggestss they help dwarves build relationships faster. With the right materials and quality modifiers it's always royal quality.

Here's my noble quarters. All nobles come from the original 7 regardless of qualification. The King gets a custom room on a different floor.

Let's see what you got bay12.

My GF and I built a fortress on the sea.  The most successful fortress we've ever had with the most elaborate dwarven plumbing we've ever built.  Hopefully the images will work for everyone.

The entrance is on the north, one level up from the ground.  There are 4 retracting bridges.  In theory, even if heavy creatures come across, the small bridges might be able to retract still keeping the creature stuck on the 2 larger middle bridges.  In practice all bridges retract before the goblin siege arrives and they are forced to walk the twisty path to the west of the bridges...while marksdwarves fire at them from behind fortifications, when they dodge, they dodge off the path and fall 8 z levels.  To the south are windmills that power the desalination pumps.

To the south are the desalination pumps.  North-west the hospital.  North-east the training rooms.  The central-ish pit is surrounded by the stair-way that goes all the way down to the magma forges.  The pit provides fresh air and some sunlight.  The other pit to the north-east provides sunlight to the baths.

To the north is the bottom of the pit where many goblins have met their end.  In the middle is part of the stair surrounding the ventilation shaft.  To the south is a 3x3pipe that supplies the fortress with clean water.

This is the upper level of the dining-hall and to the west the kings throne-room.  North-west is the other noble rooms.  In the dining-hall there are decorated support pillars that each have waterfalls rushing down the sides.

This is the lower dining hall with wells around the perimeter.

Two z-levels below the dining-hall is the cistern, the z-level in between is the overflow path which is routed into another large waterfall at the baths.  With the cistern in place even if the pumps stop working or there is an unnaturally cold winter that freezes things the dwarves still have enough stored water to last the season.

Here are the baths.  There is an overflow for them in the south wall (though one z-level below this) at this point the water acquires contaminants and the overflow from here won't be used as a drinking source.

The tombs with a mousoleum to the east. The king's tomb is to the south and the 4 waterfalls there (fed from the bath overflow) are the final water feature of the fort before it's all routed off the map with a tunnel to the edge and a fortification.

Wish you guys had LPs for these, I would have loved to watch them get built.. Now I'm gonna go cry in a corner because nothing I design looks half as good or is anywhere near as functional. ='(

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 08:12:24 am »

Actually that's not a bad idea, we could have a succession fort dedicated to functional and aesthetically pleasing designs.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 11:18:11 am »

I guess I may as well show off Leaguewinds.

I set myself up the challenge of building an entirely aboveground city protected only by the skills of my military. And so it began.

Here's a few houses and the "gate" in the wall where my soldiers wait to intercept intruders. It's a roofed so that they'll train right in the middle of the road and catch kobolds.

Above the gate are the Leather and Jeweler manufactories.

Here's the north gate with it's own band of guards and some houses under construction. I designate them by building a 5x5 section of wall and then cancelling out the nine sections for floor (+1 for the doorway).

This the main swath of town. The rooftops of the houses in the mid-lower left is what you saw in the first shot. The trade depot is down at the bottom. Towards the mid upper right, you can see some Marksdwarves. They're in the rookie barracks, working their way up to being real gate guards. Near the top are some warehouses, and the mayor lives in his mansion south of them. South of that are engraved slabs for the fallen. There are more out of shot downhill. South of the rookie barracks is the starting building, now used for a hospital and offices.

South of the hospital are two manufactories. Each contains storage for raw materials, one or more workshops of a particular kind, and upstairs living and dining for those who work there.

Down on the bottom right, I've got a sort of cave where all the metal bars are stored. Sadly, I haven't gotten my blacksmith and smelters fully set up and they've been moving from building to building (and even working outdoors) as growth has permitted. Someday I'll have a proper metalworks. Someday.

One more thing, top right there's the day care. It's about two dozen beds, each of which has a room declared from it. Each child gets a bed. It helps cut down on abductions.

And finally, what fortress would be complete without lots and lots of corpses?

My guards have indeed been busy these years and have slain themselves many a goblin. And the dwarven fallen aren't exactly lacking in number either. I've got a system where, as the bodies rot, bones and skulls and other workable bits get hauled up near the crafter's workshop. Which is in it's own shack.

Down at the bottom right is the panic fort. When enemies attack, the civilians flee here to await victory. There's been way too many times where a Cave Dragon or random goblin will slip by my guards in the confusion and go on rampage, so now everyone just holes up. Except those who are sleeping. It contains plenty of food drink, it's own living/dining accommodations, and lots of crossbows and bolts should the guards fail and the civvies need to retake the city. There is a line of fortifications up top should they need to take down building destroyers en route to smashing the doors.

There's also a lot mines and cleared out areas underground, but you probably already know what they look like.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 11:41:30 am »

Your city is just plain awesome dude.

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 12:09:18 pm »

I dunno why, but I prefer to have my crap on one Z-level-

The dwarves all got to share a bedroom with some other dorf- the bedrooms each had their own office and bedrooms, and an aquarium view.

The dining rooms are near the top, and the left one served food and the right served booze. (And also modded in coffee and tea.) There was going to be a row of BRONZE chairs sitting along the green glass tables, which looked outside to the next dining room. (ALL chairs in the fortress were bronze. This is one of the reasons production was going so slowly- I did not have tin.)

The trade depot is in the center, and there are some unfurnished noble rooms near the center as well.

These were the tombs:

I think these were going to be bedrooms:
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 12:17:29 pm »

Isn't that crazy bad for FPS?

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 12:19:05 pm »

Isn't that crazy bad for FPS?

Grand avenues? Probably.

BUT WITHOUT GRAND AVENUES, WHERE WILL THE SOLDIERS MARCH??

HAUSSMANN RENNOVATIONS FOR ALL FORTRESSES!
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7