Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Dwarven Architecture  (Read 21764 times)

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Architecture
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2013, 11:03:13 pm »

The Ground floor is a bit boring... basically just a big rectangle, with a couple gaurd towers.

This is my main floor Production area is too the left and sleeping on the right.  the 3x3 up/down staircases lead to where my guard towers (or where they will be guard towers.)  The Guard towers are 4 Z levels high  7x7 squares with a couple level of barracks.  The top level are fortifications for my Marksdwarves to rain bolt death from.

Eventually the guardstowers will be come the struts of a huge pyramid.  I'm planning making mostly out of gold and silver.  I haven't done any calculations so I'm hoping I'll have enough.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the level below the main level... its where materials for all the workshops are stored, also important is the main mine track for hauling stuff between stations.
The big open area is the vaulted ceiling of the dining room... I goofed there and didn't allow a path to smooth the walls up there... I might build some scaffolding at somepoint and fix it, but it's a lower priority.

And speaking of the main hall...  It needs a few more coffins and tables... but you get the gist.

The next level down is my auxillary storage for furniture, weapons, everything I don't want on the materials or production level.  It's ugly but functional

Below that is the start to my mining
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2013, 10:44:26 pm »

This is my newest above ground minimalist fort design. There's a communal sleeping area under the tavern to accommodate all non nobles. It's more or less entirely self-sufficient.

Much less practical version

Expansive courtyard and lavish noble accommodations. It's designed for inferior castes of dwarves to live and work outside the walls to support their overlords.

Supreme leaders glorious bedroom, office, dining area, and tomb.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2013, 10:24:25 am »

This is my newest above ground minimalist fort design. There's a communal sleeping area under the tavern to accommodate all non nobles. It's more or less entirely self-sufficient.

Expansive courtyard and lavish noble accommodations. It's designed for inferior castes of dwarves to live and work outside the walls to support their overlords.

I'm sure there's some incredibly obvious reason that I'm missing, but why are there two trade depots?

Also, neat design, I might copy it in a future fort.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:27:03 am by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2013, 10:26:20 am »

I'm sure there's some incredibly obvious reason that I'm missing, but why are there two trade depots?
Ones actually a Trade Storehouse. It's a masterwork building that "opens" crates.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2013, 06:01:45 am »

(inserted this quote here to provide a link to the original post with pictures and such)
Looks more like a tombstone than a star. Creepy.
...I never noticed that. Kinda awesome.

On graph paper it looked more square, I suspect the more rectangular tile-set made it come out more, y'know, tombstoney.

I think it looks like an angry dwarf. The fortifications covering the wagon pathway are like angry eyes (or eyebrows), the rooms South of that are moustache (or eyes), then there's a beard with an open mouth in the middle. The ballista room/depot is the nose, and the dwarf is wearing a helmet with a nose guard (the wagon pathway). In the first picture, I don't know what the workshop spaces are... the 2nd picture, the dwarf is clearly yelling/really mad at something: the dining room is it's mouth, with the storerooms and hallways as it's beard.

(also, the outline has a... somewhat... erm... phallic. shape.)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]