Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Dwarven Architecture  (Read 21500 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Dwarven Architecture
« on: March 25, 2013, 12:22:12 pm »

Hey everybody let's measure our architectural wangs! All of these designs are standard for any non-theme fortress I build.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is my entrance. It provides a large outdoor area to plant above ground crops, maintain hives, and raise livestock while providing two levels of security. The main perimeter and the 11x11 fortress entrance can be secured by separate drawbridges allowing two levels of protection.
These are my stockpiles. Each stockpile has an area of 55 urists and is positioned directly beside relevant workshops and relevant stockpiles. A mason can take a stone 4 paces to the shop then take the chair 4 paces to the furniture stockpile. Hyper efficient.

These are my quarters. This setup provides 40 bedrooms containing one armor stand, one weapon rack,  a table and chair, two chests, a cabinet, a door and a bed. These rooms go to dwarves who are considered important to the fortress, that usually ends up being 50% of the fort.

Garbage dwarves sleep in dormitories at the end of the hall. Occasionally if one impresses me but not eough to warrant his own room I'll assign them their own bed in the dorm.

This is the dining hall. I like keeping them small because anectdotal evidence suggestss they help dwarves build relationships faster. With the right materials and quality modifiers it's always royal quality.

Here's my noble quarters. All nobles come from the original 7 regardless of qualification. The King gets a custom room on a different floor.

Let's see what you got bay12.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 09:05:36 am by Broseph Stalin »

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Architecture
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 12:34:35 pm »

Holy crap. That is all i have to say. That's epic. :P
My forts are constructed on the go without much thought, although i might try something more... organized now.

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 12:39:14 pm »

Holy crap. That is all i have to say. That's epic. :P
My forts are constructed on the go without much thought, although i might try something more... organized now.
This way's actually less labor intensive, I have macros for each of these designs so I just place my cursor play the macro and then wait for it to finish designating.
I also have custom reactions for furnishing so instead of ordering a bunch of beds, chairs tables, armor stands etc. I just go into manager and say "Build 40 bedrooms" and my little mans take care of the rest.   
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:41:15 pm by Broseph Stalin »

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 01:25:39 pm »

I do something similar. I do it all by hand though.

My bedrooms are like this, 36-60 per level depending on my mood at embark. The best rooms go to jealous nobles.

My medbay and dining hall are usually on the same floor across the stairwell from eachother. In this case medbay is west, dining east.The water to the south is the section of my reservoir directly under the wells.

I'm still working on figuring out a design I like for workshops and my entrance varies highly by embark.

zimluura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 02:16:43 pm »

My GF and I built a fortress on the sea.  The most successful fortress we've ever had with the most elaborate dwarven plumbing we've ever built.  Hopefully the images will work for everyone.

The entrance is on the north, one level up from the ground.  There are 4 retracting bridges.  In theory, even if heavy creatures come across, the small bridges might be able to retract still keeping the creature stuck on the 2 larger middle bridges.  In practice all bridges retract before the goblin siege arrives and they are forced to walk the twisty path to the west of the bridges...while marksdwarves fire at them from behind fortifications, when they dodge, they dodge off the path and fall 8 z levels.  To the south are windmills that power the desalination pumps.

To the south are the desalination pumps.  North-west the hospital.  North-east the training rooms.  The central-ish pit is surrounded by the stair-way that goes all the way down to the magma forges.  The pit provides fresh air and some sunlight.  The other pit to the north-east provides sunlight to the baths.

To the north is the bottom of the pit where many goblins have met their end.  In the middle is part of the stair surrounding the ventilation shaft.  To the south is a 3x3pipe that supplies the fortress with clean water.

This is the upper level of the dining-hall and to the west the kings throne-room.  North-west is the other noble rooms.  In the dining-hall there are decorated support pillars that each have waterfalls rushing down the sides.

This is the lower dining hall with wells around the perimeter.

Two z-levels below the dining-hall is the cistern, the z-level in between is the overflow path which is routed into another large waterfall at the baths.  With the cistern in place even if the pumps stop working or there is an unnaturally cold winter that freezes things the dwarves still have enough stored water to last the season.

Here are the baths.  There is an overflow for them in the south wall (though one z-level below this) at this point the water acquires contaminants and the overflow from here won't be used as a drinking source.

The tombs with a mousoleum to the east. The king's tomb is to the south and the 4 waterfalls there (fed from the bath overflow) are the final water feature of the fort before it's all routed off the map with a tunnel to the edge and a fortification.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:21:33 am by zimluura »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 06:26:25 pm »

I can't see your images.

zimluura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 10:33:16 pm »

doh!  stupid google sites.  i'll set up an imgur account tomorrow.

edit: (imgur account set up, previous post updated)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:24:53 am by zimluura »

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 10:53:12 pm »

They can be seen, it's just that what you've posted as images should have been clickable hyperlinks. As it is, right click on the broken "image", click open in new tab or whatever your browser calls it, and then view the full size image.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 03:36:49 am »

Impressive. It's like a Corbusier Scheme for dorfs. Generic council estates for little fellers, with slight variations to allow for local topography.

Noooooo...

Let chaos reign! I looked at GateIvory (succession game) the other day. I looked at it in Phoebus, it didn't make sense. I looked at it in ASCII and was still none the wiser. In the end it took me a good hour to find the front entrance. At least I think I found it. Dorfs scattered everywhere, mostly dead and dying - no cohesive defence, or planning of any sort, come to that.

That's how a fort should be 'designed'. On the fly, by a series of madmen.

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 04:05:31 am »

My design, btw.

zimluura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 09:23:30 am »

I made an imgur account and they seem to work now.  Please let me know if there are more issues.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 09:59:26 am »

finally! a thread to satisfy my dwarfy OCD needs

ajg1g12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 10:25:30 am »

zimluura, your post looks amazing! That's the kind of feat I want to replicate, but haven't quite got the skill/organization to do so yet :P

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 11:53:45 am »

To the south are the desalination pumps.  North-west the hospital.  North-east the training rooms.  The central-ish pit is surrounded by the stair-way that goes all the way down to the magma forges.
Have you considered ramps instead of staircases in that?

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 12:41:58 pm »

what program are you using to replicate your build? (macro)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7