Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Forgotten beasts and forgotten polls. Is there a way to take this down?

I am an option
- 0 (0%)
I am a better option
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 20, 2013, 03:45:05 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 87

Author Topic: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest 2: Stasno Nokastomsu, A Bloated Towering Ape!  (Read 279117 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Current beastie!

The Forgotten Beast Stasno Nokastomsu has come! A towering ape with external ribs. It has a pair of long antennae and appears bloated. Beware its fire!

The original thread, which can be found here has been amazing, and produced some of the most amazing art I have seen online. As it has been going for over two years now, it would seem that the thread starter is no longer maintaining it.

But Forgotten Beasts are still wandering the depths of the world, and continue to come - often at inconvenient times.
I will do my best to maintain this thread. Time permitting, I would also like to compile a depository for the horrifying creatures and corresponding art.

The rules are simple - a person posts a Forgotten Beast. Within a course of one week, people draw them. At the end of a week, the owner of the beast then chooses their favorite, and the artist gets to choose a new beast!

To do so, add a beastie of your choice to your image post. (as seen here: link) While not mandatory, this will greatly speed up beastie drawings!

Do try and make your submission original. Blobs and asses can only be drawn in so many ways.

Lastly, don't be afraid to draw! All submissions are welcome, and are amazing. Even if all you have is MS paint and no drawing ability (like yours truly), if you get an inspiration, DO IT!

----

As I don't have access to DF at the moment, we could use a submission to get the thing rolling. Dig into your legends!

----

Handy Tips:
- Don't have a scanner? In decent light (i.e. bright lamp, outdoors), a regular digital camera can do a good job of capturing the image
- Many public libraries have scanners that are available to the public
- Need a program to save/edit your image? Try GIMP or PaintNet. MS Paint is also good for that
- Need a hosting service? Good ones are Photobucket, Flickr, imgur amongst others. Maybe somebody can clarify the copyright/ownership details so I can remove the worst ones from the list.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 12:53:27 pm by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest: Round 2!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 04:49:39 pm »

Posting to follow the new thread.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 05:00:33 pm »

One Mucousjuice the Mangy Frothy Suckers was a forgotten beast. It was the only one of its kind. An enormous three-eyed nuthatch. It has two long, spiral horns and it has a bloated body. Its eyes glow azure. Beware its deadly spittle! One was associated with water, disease and caverns.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 05:04:29 pm »

One Mucousjuice the Mangy Frothy Suckers was a forgotten beast. It was the only one of its kind. An enormous three-eyed nuthatch. It has two long, spiral horns and it has a bloated body. Its eyes glow azure. Beware its deadly spittle! One was associated with water, disease and caverns.

Reference for the lazy:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 05:16:40 pm »

And thus madness and awesome.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 05:18:32 pm »

Yup. I love the name for tha one . . .

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
  • [NEED ALCOHOL TO GET THROUGH THE WORKING DAY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 05:55:56 pm »

You can use some of those if you like them.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 06:25:22 pm »

Posting to follow the new thread.
Yep.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 09:17:00 pm »

My proposition is more a scene.

The context :

My Fortress was built on a volcano. And my city is the only one remaining of this dwarven civilization. All wiped out by nasty elves.
I was besieged by them, mounted on giant elephants, frogs, mosquitos and so on.
I pushed the right levers, and all the city was closed, except for some of them who could find a way to my magma trap (but that's another story).
Most of them stood in the rain, outside, waiting.
Suddenly, HIM, the great worm, arrived.
He immediately tried to kill the elves, and it was quite funny to see the giant frog ran away from the creature, while it was burning everything. He was just fast enough to avoid the flame. But at the same time, because of it, quickly, all the surroundings of the volcano were burning like hell.

And suddenly, SHE came. Athe pagedwave, on her giant mosquito.
There was a battle, in the sky, a mosquito against a bow-elf.
She blocked several fire, and at last, after one or two cedar arrows in the wings, she shot him in the head, and pulled the brain out of it. Under her, most of the lands were now burning, and most of the elves had to flee from their position, several died.
But not her.

I thought it was quite cool.

So someone requested this in the previous thread.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 09:19:45 pm »

Damn, nice, DarkerDark.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 09:20:37 pm »

posting to look at the pictures, the amazing pictures.

which have already started, it seems.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 09:25:23 pm »

Woot, first page.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 09:45:29 pm »

PTW.  I enjoyed the last thread immensely.  I had a cool Forgotten Beast that I was going to post in it, but, fittingly, I Forgot.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 12:16:23 am »

Did the mosquitoes have to be quite so realistic? *Shudders.*

I do love your art, though, DD. Do a picture of mine?

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 12:29:05 am »

And thus the new thread was blessed by DarkerDark, the Dark that is Darker than the Darkest Dark.
Because darkness.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 87