Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Forgotten beasts and forgotten polls. Is there a way to take this down?

I am an option
- 0 (0%)
I am a better option
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 20, 2013, 03:45:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 87

Author Topic: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest 2: Stasno Nokastomsu, A Bloated Towering Ape!  (Read 283426 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest: Round 2!
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2013, 10:42:00 pm »

Well, here's my submission. I'm not entirely satisfied with how it turned out, especially since I had to take a photo of it in the absence of a usable scanner, but I can't be arsed to do a whole lot more with it either way.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I gave it mini-antlers because full-size moose antlers would be a pain in the ass in the caverns.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

diamondwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2013, 11:36:09 pm »

And so I rise from the ashes to once again post in the forgotten beast forum. Boy has it been awhile.

Just a little something I did in some down time between academic commitments. Not completely done, but serviceable. Just some pen and pencil, no computer magic this time.

If I happen to win:

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2013, 12:52:34 am »

I forgot all about posting a new beast!

Well, here's two that I found interesting. The dancing spit monkey is humorous, but a hairy theropod is just cool.

I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2013, 01:35:16 am »

PTW
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Chimpanzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2013, 09:08:11 am »

PTW
"I am a Legandary Weaver! Nobody handles cloth like me"
"Yeah, that's great. Hey, are you done? If so, we need to smelt this ten thousand large load of hematite. I'll see you next month."
"WHAT AN OUTRAGE! I AM A LIVING LEGEND! I SHOULD BE WEAVING"
"That's nice. Tell you what, pretend you are weaving metal out of this ore. Now get to work."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2013, 11:53:54 am »

Diamondwolf, did you use the same reference material as me? this photograph?

Yours is much closer to the photo, obviously :P
I make Spellcrafts!

diamondwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2013, 12:08:03 pm »

Yeah. I tried some other poses (including an upshot of it) but I felt that that particular pose showed Moose anatomy really well. Unfortunately, that particular moose is quite well fed so I had to play with other reference to get the bone structure more correct. Also that picture doesn't actually show the feet so I had to use other reference for that as well. I was going to do more with the background but due to studying and what have you I had to call it quits for the time being.

I notice from your picture that the pose tricked you a bit. The moose doesn't have its foot upon on anything, it has it lifted and curled since it is in the process of walking.

As a disclaimer I finished my picture before I saw yours. :)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2013, 12:13:28 pm »

It didn't trick me, I just felt like putting a rock there instead. I did just doodle on the lower legs and feet, though.
I make Spellcrafts!

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2013, 02:03:52 pm »

What's up, all?  I was in a drawing mood, so I decided to peek back here.

The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2013, 08:23:41 pm »

So many "srous bzness!" Submissions!

Here's a nice and silly one!

[Data cable in the car. Best-fit phone pic upload follows.]
*caution, contains dumb cartoon reference!

*I wil replace the upload with a proper one later.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 08:30:26 pm by wierd »

Werehuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2013, 09:18:51 pm »

Behold! Bask in the crappy details of my deformed cave moose! :P BEHOLD! (used charcoal pencil this time instead of regular, just for kicks)
+Signature+
This signature menaces with spikes of boringness.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2013, 01:06:26 am »

Nice work so far everyone!

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2013, 01:15:13 am »

That puts too much of a hobble on the creative interpretations that this thread is meant to encourage. Whimsical and silly is just as valuable as masterful rendering quality. The often ambiguous nature of the description pages is what makes this both fun and challenging, at least for me anyway.

Requiring the use of cripples art packages can make something fun into something very un-fun for many people. (And MSPaint is a lot like black liquorice. A VERY acquired taste. Per pixel art is a very different beast from what most artists are used to, and is a very unique medium, with its own very special set of techniques and foibles. While forcing people out of their element on occasion spurrs growth, doing it as a condition of candidacy for entry is a major turn off.  I *can* use MSPaint. I prefer being able to use layers and transparency effects. Many artists would rather do something more enjoyable than suffer needlessly under arbitrary restrictions. I am against enforced medium requirements. As a "for the hell of it, no pressure, no obligation" teasing challenge that isn't really serious, it would be OK. But it shouldn't be an enforced entry condition for this thread, IMO.)

As long as the medium is available easily for everyone it would be fun. If anything it would even the playing field and everyone would struggle together. As for including a story aspect, I am strongly in favor. DarkerDark showed just how cool that can work out to be. Besides, this is a new thread in its infancy, the rules are yet to be written.

Also, from what I've seen so far:

GuesssWho - Hahahaha

GrizzleBridges - I really love the use of mixed media, the combination of photo manipulation and sketchbook is quite distinct. I am loving the conceptual design of it also!

Eric Blank - is that acrylic on cardboard? It has very disturbing vibe to it, scariest one yet I think, owing to a good composition and a great subdued palette. The way the paint plays on that board makes it so dreamish and creepy.

diamondwolf - Nice composition as well, its good to see ol' Nosot rampaging in a fortress. Very majestic, and those beady eyes emanate hatred! It kind of has a hydralysk feel to it, ya know? I like the loose hatching.

bmaczero
- Ah, the first digital painting of the batch. I like the stylized take on it, nice textures on the antlers. Haha Venomoose

wierd - caption " The last terrifying moments in the lives of Rocky and Bullwinkle"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 01:42:36 am by k33n »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2013, 01:41:28 am »

I'm with wierd on the medium requirement; that is be wholly inappropriate and unnecessary, and I'm sure many of us would be unhappy if the chosen medium was not one in which we were proficient or with which we enjoyed working. Demanding a story also seems like a bit of quibbling.

Although, if a story is manditory, I do have one regarding that hairy therapod; I had a pair of dwarves washed down the drain of my dining room waterfalls, and into the lake. Both of them survived the fall and escaped the lake without drowning, which is miraculous in it's own right. However, once down there the beast made a beeline for them, through the cave connecting that cavern to the one far above. I told the stranded dwarves to fight for their lives, and prepped my militia and miners to breach the cavern and rescue them (which in hindsight resulted in far more deaths than it prevented when the next beastie blundered in through that passage)

The two dwarves duked it out bare-fisted with the beast, whilst trapped in a little alcove. One of them was immediately dragged down and munched on by the beast, but his comrade started beating on it ineffectually and actually managed to lure it away, which resulted in his death. The beast went back to torturing the now-unconscious dwarf in the corner, and moments later the cavern was breached by the miner sent down and the militia poured in and engaged the beast. They turned it into a paste, I suppose, and saved the remaining dwarf's life at the cost of some injury and casualty to the militiadwarves. I think the casualty was only a recruit, though. My Head Woodsdwarf, of the seven originally embarking, was credited with the kill after the beast bled to death. Later, the stranded dwarf recovered from his wounds, other than the motor nerve damage to one of his hands, and scarring on his other hand and buttocks... Note to self: don't tell horrible monsters to kiss your ass; they might try to remove it.
I make Spellcrafts!

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2013, 03:27:01 am »

I don't want any requirements, thanks.

I like the word 'venomoose,' by the way.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 87