Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Forgotten beasts and forgotten polls. Is there a way to take this down?

I am an option
- 0 (0%)
I am a better option
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 20, 2013, 03:45:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 87

Author Topic: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest 2: Stasno Nokastomsu, A Bloated Towering Ape!  (Read 283389 times)

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest 2: A new beastie approaches!
« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2013, 12:32:24 pm »

If you are searching for a beast, i posted some week ago (actually, it's the first drawing of this new post, made by Darkerdark, the March 25, 2013, 09:17:00 pm) a quite long story of an epic fight between an elf and a FB.
just my personal opinion but i prefer something that hasnt already been drawn so perfectly.
It leaves more to the imagination rather then people trying to replicate the already amazing artwork.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2013, 03:42:50 pm »

Options:

Run winner elections again, and see who wins!

Most recent submission:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Something from the What's Going On In Your Fortress I have enjoyed:
A forgotten beast attacked Metalsnakes. Kor, the giant, winged ice humanoid. He had poisonous vapor, which turned out to merely dizzy it's victims and put them to sleep. Two ten-dwarf squads rushed the icy devil, and spent damn near a month periodically whacking away at it and napping in front of it. Luckily Kor was very fond of his vapor, electing not to punch or kick, but just exude free drugs for everyone until the soldiers eventually took him apart piece by piece. No deaths, only one dwarf suffered a head burn somehow.

Another one from the same source:
Guardedseal just got it's first Forgotten Beast. And it was a pretty badass one actually.

"The Forgotten Beast Tob Setnuushmal has come! A great hairy bristleworm. It has thin wings of stretched skin and it appears to be emaciated. It's jade hair is short and even. Beware its poisonous sting!"

It's sting wasn't very poisonous at all, however it happened to sting two of my civvies in the head, causing instant death. It then bit another one in the head. Dead.

At this point my military intercepted it and fought it for ages. Somehow it was able to wrestle my Macedwarf using it's wings, and it broke all his limbs (lol). Fortunately it took so long maiming the poor guy (killed him with a headbite in the end) that my more competent soldiers were able to maim it's internal organs and cut the wings and stinger off. Eventually they killed it, but it was by far the longest FB battle I've seen, the beast seemed to have never ending fat for the swords to slice through.

The huge corpse is being hauled slowly to the butcher now. Kind of wondering if that's a good or bad thing. Anyone want to eat hairy, poisonous worm meat for the next eight months? No? :D

--

Oh, and almost forgot, my militia captain named his Iron Sword afterwards and gave it quite possibly the most ridiculously cool name I've ever seen a weapon possess: "Moralrite the Turquoise Blizzard". A morally just blade that attacks with the ferocity of an icy storm. Win!

Another option, with a nice story that I have enjoyed (long):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2013, 03:45:24 pm »

New poll is up, you have 48 hours to vote. We shall proceed from there!

My bad, haven't responded to:

If you are searching for a beast, i posted some week ago (actually, it's the first drawing of this new post, made by Darkerdark, the March 25, 2013, 09:17:00 pm) a quite long story of an epic fight between an elf and a FB.
just my personal opinion but i prefer something that hasnt already been drawn so perfectly.
It leaves more to the imagination rather then people trying to replicate the already amazing artwork.

I agree with Ameablable. DarkerDarker's submission is great (as always), but because it has been around for a while it will influence how future creatures will be drawn. I think we need something that can spark more imagination.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 04:07:44 pm by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Werehuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Modder
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest 2: Vote on the next entry!
« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2013, 04:08:15 pm »

I am actually better at pixel art than sketching for most things; forgot about it though. I forgot all about drawing something, but I'll try and get something pixelly for the next fb once it is picked. What size is preferred for a "tileset" image, 18x18, 18x10, what?
+Signature+
This signature menaces with spikes of boringness.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2013, 04:17:43 pm »

I am actually better at pixel art than sketching for most things; forgot about it though. I forgot all about drawing something, but I'll try and get something pixelly for the next fb once it is picked. What size is preferred for a "tileset" image, 18x18, 18x10, what?

Hm, if you're making tileset graphics, just make it compatible with DF sizes - which are fairly small. Honestly, I'd say any size works but I believe 16x16 is the standard for DF tilesets.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2013, 09:18:06 pm »

Oh wow..  that ice humanoid I could totally make with my current ambitious project!

LOL! I have this really funny mental image in mind! LOL

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 19, 2013, 12:47:16 am »

Oh wow..  that ice humanoid I could totally make with my current ambitious project!

LOL! I have this really funny mental image in mind! LOL

If it DOESN'T win, but it remains popular, it will be used in future fill-in votes. Don't you worry :)

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 19, 2013, 12:41:31 pm »

Hey everyone, sorry I didn't respond earlier, neglected to watch this thread more.   :-[

If you still want my submission, here it is.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 19, 2013, 12:46:18 pm »

so are we doing this? or still the vote?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 19, 2013, 12:48:11 pm »

Hey everyone, sorry I didn't respond earlier, neglected to watch this thread more.   :-[

Hey, it's good to have you back here. Congratulations on the win, and thanks for the beastie!

so are we doing this? or still the vote?

Came within the 48 hours of the vote, so we will do Ulet the Roasted Thunder. The fact that it's a warthog, and it's nickname is "Roasted Thunder" makes me think of bacon :P

EDIT: It seems that I can't force the vote to not be time-limited. Any way for me to reset it? Can the mods do it?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:07:21 pm by CognitiveDissonance »

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile

awww yusss. i just spent the whole day drawing something up. im now very busy colouring it but i think i might take a break before my hand merges with my stylus.

very nice beastie choice!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...i think i might take a break before my hand merges with my stylus.

Embrace the change. This is the way of the future. Be one with your tools, and you will find freedom.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
NOOOOOOO
« Reply #222 on: April 19, 2013, 03:26:25 pm »

Embrace the change. This is the way of the future. Be one with your tools, and you will find freedom.
NEVER!!!

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile

My Submission! :D
I had a day off today and ive been drawing the whole day. god damn this took me a while

but anywhoo heres my one eyed periwinkle warthog. whenever i drew the long hair it looked awful so he got a haircut okay?

if i win use the beast i submitted last time

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile

Spoiler: roastedthunder (click to show/hide)
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 87