Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Forgotten beasts and forgotten polls. Is there a way to take this down?

I am an option
- 0 (0%)
I am a better option
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 20, 2013, 03:45:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 87

Author Topic: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest 2: Stasno Nokastomsu, A Bloated Towering Ape!  (Read 283273 times)

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest 2: !!An Enormous Blob!! It has wings
« Reply #585 on: June 28, 2013, 09:28:53 pm »

MSPaint and Paint.Net, my trusty pals in the FB art contest. :D

Glad to see it worked!  Poking the sprite repeatedly like that was a pain, and the animation is still kinda choppy. Oh well.
(Read that amenable's last submission was animated, wasn't about to be shown up. :D)

Glad you like it. Been awhile since I played.
I like it too!
And yea Im going to school for animation!
So you may be seeing more animated submissions in the future.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 28, 2013, 09:34:21 pm »

Flash animation, 3d animation, cell animation, stop motion, or cardstock animation?

Those are the ones still somewhat used today. (Stop motion and cardstock on the decline, but a few famous pieces are made using them. Things like Gumby and Fantastic Planet, respectively. Its good to broaden ones horizons when learning a new trade.)

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 28, 2013, 09:38:49 pm »

Flash. Shoulda said that. :P
Its what i used in my submission

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 28, 2013, 09:47:53 pm »

The last time I played with flash animation was way back in the 90s, when it was brand new... maybe I should appropriate a copy of it again some time, and play.  Sadly, my pixel art doesn't usually play well with flash vector drawings, if my past experiences are anything to go on.  Still, for an old school "manually animated" bunch of stills, I think I did fairly well... shame about the choppiness.

If you enjoy your flash class, you should still look into the other animation styles. These days, the cardstock method is fairly easy to do, if you have scissors and a flatbed scanner. IIRC, it's how southpark was done in season 1. (Then they switched to flash.)

The cardstock is thick, so it doesn't bleed the light like typing paper.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 28, 2013, 09:53:54 pm »

I actually have tried stopmotion once. It was kinda a flop. Too choppy. Not enough frames.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 28, 2013, 10:16:42 pm »

Have you ever watched fantastic planet?  It's kinda... psychodelic... and clearly shows the era it was made in, but the art is quite good. Won several awards from the international film festival.
(Just ignore the pro pot rhetoric from the uploader. Other than being surrealist animation, it has nothing to do whatsoever with drugs.)

They made it by creating large still images for the scenes, then layering various cardstock cutout art pieces on top, and snapping stills, then sewing them together to make the film.  These days similar effects could be obtained using flash as the compositor, and high resolution scans of the cutouts against black paper, so they can be easily isolated and put into the scene.

If I were to use flash, it is probably the way I would end up having to use it, to leverage my pixel art talents.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 28, 2013, 10:19:02 pm »

No i havent but imwatching it now! Thanks for sharing :P

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 28, 2013, 10:46:36 pm »

It's hard to find all the parts on youtube, but they *are* all on there. You almost never see that style of animation anymore, but seeing it gives you a much better respect for the tools we have today.

In many ways, flash tries to do digitally what cell animation and cardstock animation used to do by hand, with nifty motion tools like tweened paths.

I only really brought up this animation style, because it can leverage oldschool pen and paper art, and can theoretically be done using layers in photoshop to place the assets, and then lotsof exports to make gifs. Flash would make it easier, because of tweened paths, but wouldn't be necessary. For people that do ink, all they really need is some cardstock from walmart, the flatbed they already have, and some patience. That means some of the other really talented people that play in here could have a crack at it too, and might enjoy doing so.

As I said, its always good to expand one's horizons.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #594 on: July 01, 2013, 03:45:51 am »

I had tried to draw this one, but other projects that range in Real Life importance said "nope"

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And back, sorry for the short absense!
That gif makes me happy. We need more animations like that! :D
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

matskuman5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have to pass. I'm using my back-up computer which is
much slower and doesn't have photoshop.
And besides, it's a hard thing to draw.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile

I have to pass. I'm using my back-up computer which is
much slower and doesn't have photoshop.
And besides, it's a hard thing to draw.
Use pencil and take a picture! :)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Indeed!

It isn't the quality of the image, nor the art style used that is the primary criterion for winning. The submissions are viewed foremost on their creativity in depiction.  Crayon art stands a perfectly good chance of winning, if it is original and whitty.

My submissions tend to be pixel art craziness, but rather blah in terms of originality, though there are a few exceptions. That's fine, I play just to play, and truth be told, would rather not win. (Because then I can't play the next round!)

Don't be shy, and just have fun! Crayon is perfectly acceptable. MSPaint is perfectly good too! (I do nearly all my submissions with it! Paint.net is just for transparent layering!) Pen, pencil-- doesn't matter!

One type I haven't seen is modern art cubism, or picasso style surrealism. Maybe I will try for that next time. ;)

moploplus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Smells like cabbage.
    • View Profile

So this is my attempt at drawing.

I should just stick to music.
Ameablable came out of my mom too.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 87