Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Forgotten beasts and forgotten polls. Is there a way to take this down?

I am an option
- 0 (0%)
I am a better option
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 20, 2013, 03:45:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87

Author Topic: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest 2: Stasno Nokastomsu, A Bloated Towering Ape!  (Read 283358 times)

Elfhater69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

NECRO TIME.

DRAWING START.

AMEN. THIS THREAD NEEDS TO COME BACK.

Elfhater69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So im aweful at drawing. As you can tell. So i decided id draw every day for a year and see how ive improved. Heres day one, i thought why not start with some DF?
So heres the reference i used and the creature:

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

Art pending.

Need to find way to upload from post-it note. They don't have USB ports, you see.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Elfhater69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Art pending.

Need to find way to upload from post-it note. They don't have USB ports, you see.
Take a picture with your phone or use a scanner. Thats about the only way.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Art pending.

Take a picture with your phone or use a scanner. Thats about the only way.

My baby has hidden my phone, and I have no scanner. My friend's phone does not email because it's crappy and then someone stole my art.

Art still pending.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

"Ye gods! A genuine Van Gothe, here!"
"Dude, it's on a post it note."
"Brilliance! I must have it."
"Doesn't look like it's for sale.
"............"
".............."
*Yoink*
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"............"
".............."
*Yoink*

I have recovered my art. Someone else broke the thief's window and peed on their stuff, I don't know who it was like that when I got there. Also, I found a scanner to scan it in. It is sadly low-rez.

C'mon someone else make art too! It's a fun thread!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 03:48:28 pm by Dunamisdeos »

Elfhater69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"............"
".............."
*Yoink*

I have recovered my art. Someone else broke the thief's window and peed on their stuff, I don't know who it was like that when I got there. Also, I found a scanner to scan it in. It is sadly low-rez.

C'mon someone else make art too! It's a fun thread!
Oml i love it! Ill be making art just to keep the thread alive, but i suck at it so horribly so it wont be anything great sorry :(

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's not that kind of thread, keep posting your art! You only get better if you practice!

Also, thanks  ;D

Elfhater69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

heres the forgotten beast im gunna try drawing if anyone else wants a crack at it

Elfhater69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heres my rofa. it looks like it was drawn by a drunk two year old. So the people who can actually draw, any tips on how to improve?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile

Nomar Abegopet:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and a crudely colored version:
Despite his name, I doubt he'd make a good pet...

Quote from: Elfhater69
any tips on how to improve?
I'm no expert, but from my experience and what I've heard, the key is to draw what you see, rather than just representations of you see. For example, I could draw this:
and you'd know it was supposed to be a cat, because it has all the symbolic features of a cat: pointy ears, triangle nose, whiskers, tail--but it doesn't actually look like a cat. You have to break out of drawing things symbolically, which requires observation: details like dimensions, proportions, shadows and highlights, the way bodies move and interact, etc. Work from a reference and try to draw the picture exactly as you see it. Practice makes perfect.

It's admittedly harder with imaginary creatures and places, but you can still think in pieces. For example, I based Nomar's legs on the wings and legs of birds, while the rest was cat.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Well, in terms of forgotten beasts, there's the base animal they're generated from that you can look up, in this case, the click beetle.

Google images has plenty more angles and types.

Once you pick a reference and draw it, adding the extra stuff like horns is easy.

Elfhater69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, in terms of forgotten beasts, there's the base animal they're generated from that you can look up, in this case, the click beetle.

Google images has plenty more angles and types.

Once you pick a reference and draw it, adding the extra stuff like horns is easy.
Nomar Abegopet:
and a crudely colored version:
Despite his name, I doubt he'd make a good pet...

Quote from: Elfhater69
any tips on how to improve?
I'm no expert, but from my experience and what I've heard, the key is to draw what you see, rather than just representations of you see. For example, I could draw this:
and you'd know it was supposed to be a cat, because it has all the symbolic features of a cat: pointy ears, triangle nose, whiskers, tail--but it doesn't actually look like a cat. You have to break out of drawing things symbolically, which requires observation: details like dimensions, proportions, shadows and highlights, the way bodies move and interact, etc. Work from a reference and try to draw the picture exactly as you see it. Practice makes perfect.

It's admittedly harder with imaginary creatures and places, but you can still think in pieces. For example, I based Nomar's legs on the wings and legs of birds, while the rest was cat.
Thank you guys! really! ill start working on it! Also nomar looks great, and the color adds a lot of character

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok I failed like 9 times at drawing a bug on a post it, so

Spoiler: BUG PARTY. (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87