Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: How do people react to seeing you play dwarf fortress?  (Read 8926 times)

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
Re: How do people react to seeing you play dwarf fortress?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2013, 02:06:25 am »

Generally my reactions are from my parents... which range from "Uh-huh" to "I really don't think you should be playing that game, it's not good for you."

Stupid parents think I'm gonna be a psychopath thanks to DF. D:

I got a "I think I liked programming in binary better" from my mom... Also a "that seems more addictive than VLT's" at some point. then there was a "needlessly complex" and "is there a college course for it yet?" from my dad. Actually that could be viable in another 4-8 years...

Boyfriend watches amazed since he hasn't gotten up the learning cliff. Generally I don't play it a lot in public and I don't use public transit enough to bother. My nephew asked how to play "the colour game" but I don't think you can teach an average five year old how to understand what's going on in dwarf fortress, much less how to play. I'll see what he thinks of it in a couple of years with a tileset installed.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2013, 12:38:52 pm »

When viewing a combat report

"I like how they bite things"

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2013, 03:00:34 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:57:35 pm by Bronimin »

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
  • Veteran Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2013, 03:02:17 pm »

"Oh your playing that crap."

And whenever I played it with my friends it ended up with us degenerating into "DWARF FORTRESS!!!"
I think I am going crazy. I start to understand and actually follow Rumrusher along with his ideas...

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2013, 03:47:06 pm »

Actually, the last time I played it in public, I became very suddenly impressed with the taste of people around here, because the first three comments I got were all along the lines of "oh, cool, hold on a sec, I'll load up my fortress".

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2013, 08:50:11 pm »

Ive actually had some one react like this wall playing during webdeign.

douche-"her her her thi what the fuck is this shit?"

me-"its a game..."

douche- "geez it looks like a piece of shit why you play it?"

me- "its fun and I enjoy it, what other reasons do I need?"

douche- "I cant tell what anything is."

me- "once you learn what everything is its actualy very enjoyable, I could give a link if you want."

douche- "look like the dumit piece of shit game ive seen."

me- "coming from someone who wears camo on a regular baisis."

douche- "wha?"

me- "o nothing..."
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2013, 10:11:46 pm »

"Wow, that looks like a really nerdy game. Now I need to get to 7th perstiege pretty soon. I know this one guy who is 17th persteige, but I could never do that because I only have 512 hours play time. Keep playing your nerdy game. You have no life!"

Literaly, this. I got called a nerd while a guy I knew had a 20 minute conversation about perstieges in CoD right beside me on his mic.

Faith in mankind, gone.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2013, 10:14:20 pm »

Faith in mankind, gone.
People having different tastes in games than us will surely be the downfall of humanity.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2013, 10:16:26 pm »

"Wow, that looks like a really nerdy game. Now I need to get to 7th perstiege pretty soon. I know this one guy who is 17th persteige, but I could never do that because I only have 512 hours play time. Keep playing your nerdy game. You have no life!"

Literaly, this. I got called a nerd while a guy I knew had a 20 minute conversation about perstieges in CoD right beside me on his mic.

Faith in mankind, gone.

You had FAITH??? What is this madness?!

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2013, 10:17:18 pm »

Faith in mankind, gone.
People having different tastes in games than us will surely be the downfall of humanity.
More like many peoples lack of any self-image whatsoever, is what I was aiming at.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2013, 10:23:26 pm »

Faith in mankind, gone.
WHEN WILL THEY LEARN TO LOVE THE ROUGELIKE?

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2013, 10:28:25 pm »

For me, nobody reacts to me playing DF, or anything, most of the time. Thats just because of me being so boring seeming at first glance that nobody even notices me being there.
But, one time, I got this:
Classmate:"What the hell is that?"
Me: "A game called Dwarf fortress."
Other Classmate: "It must be the worst game ever. Look at it's graphics."
Original Classmate: "I don't know, from his laughter, it might actually be fun."
2nd classmate: "Nah, it seems pretty gay."
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2013, 01:37:10 am »

Faith in mankind, gone.
WHEN WILL THEY LEARN TO LOVE THE ROUGELIKE?
When people learn to think of their imagination as a GPU.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2013, 09:31:09 am »

Only two people in real life know I play it. My mum, who knows absolutely nothing about computers and gets seasick looking at constantly moving screens, and my dad, who has been using computers since the moon landing. Unfortunately, the response is pretty much the same from both, "Oh, cool. So, how are all your online friends doing these days?". That usually leads into a conversation that makes me feel like an absolute geek, and probably makes them think I am one. Not that it's a bad thing, but still.

Most of those online friends have tried DF, and only one of them enjoys it. Surprisingly, I've gained some weird semblance of respect from them because of it. I suppose it helps that my friend and I compete for who has the most gruesome stories.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
  • Veteran Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2013, 09:45:48 am »

Yeah I've gained a some form of respect from my friends; which usually equates to whenever I talk about tabletop roleplaying games, being a regular Adventurer Mode player, means that I must know what I'm talking about all the time. They get this just from my interest in DF.
I think I am going crazy. I start to understand and actually follow Rumrusher along with his ideas...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4