Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: How do people react to seeing you play dwarf fortress?  (Read 8872 times)

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do people react to seeing you play dwarf fortress?
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2013, 09:49:47 am »

*playing adventure mode (w/ mayday graphics pack)*

"Oh, is that Pokemon?"

*facepalm*

Baccar Wozat

• Bay Watcher
  • [VAMPOW]
    • View Profile
    • My Fortresses
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2013, 06:47:37 pm »

"Oh, is that Pokemon?"
Well, in all fairness, how do we know it wasn't a Pokémon mod?

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2013, 11:23:59 am »

"Oh, is that Pokemon?"
There exists such thing?

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
  • Veteran Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2013, 11:34:27 am »

"Oh, is that Pokemon?"
There exists such thing?

I believe so; however its been some time since I saw one/it.
I think I am going crazy. I start to understand and actually follow Rumrusher along with his ideas...

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2013, 10:18:15 pm »

I don't get much from my father/dad, but when I do it usually equates to me showing him parts of my fortress and stuffz, though I have made a couple reference(Dwarven Engineering, Plump Helmet Wine) in public, but alas no reaction besides silence and the thoughts of "He is a geek" Not that its bad or anything.

d010060002

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2013, 10:54:35 pm »

I have two computer science major friends who called me a neckbeard (computer science?! Really?)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2013, 11:19:48 pm »

A few times, based on the mods I use, and the fact people know what accursed fandom I am in, they guess what everything is. They're occasionally correct.

Other times they stand behind me and watch in silence.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2013, 03:03:40 am »

"What's that you're playing?"
"Dwarf Fortress."
"Oh, cool." *walks off*
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2013, 09:04:32 am »

"Do you always look at it in code?"

"Oh you have to. I don't even see it anymore. I just see "Axedwarf," "Troll," "Megabeast..."
Mind if I "borrow" that image form you?

On the topic of this thread, DF gives my young sister headaches, even while I am playing with the ironhand tileset.

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2013, 09:40:47 am »

It's either no particular reaction, because what do they care, or ooh, show me your artifacts.
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2013, 04:47:51 pm »

For some strange and unexplainable reason, I get the same reactions to playing DF that I do to running an IRC client. The usual "are you hacking" and "looks like the matrix lol".
And the occasional delightful person who understands exactly what's going on (typically clad in fedora).
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2013, 06:13:58 pm »

My family usually says something like "did your dwarves set the booze on fire again *snicker*"
It stems from the times, way back in 40d, where your blacksmiths would routinely get set on fire by something or other in your magma forges, and if you didn't lock them in in time they'd go for a drink and set your entire food and drink stockpile on fire. For the longest time in 31.x series I routinely continued my complex scheme of a long hallway with many doors that could be locked to cut the flaming smiths off. Eventually I realized that those damn fire snakes weren't popping up in the forges every five minutes any more, and fire imps/magma men were also more rare, so I stopped using that design.

Most of my friends who've seen me playing just say "wtf are you doing?" and immediately lose interest if I tell them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2013, 12:36:49 pm »

My family usually says something like "did your dwarves set the booze on fire again *snicker*"
It stems from the times, way back in 40d, where your blacksmiths would routinely get set on fire by something or other in your magma forges, and if you didn't lock them in in time they'd go for a drink and set your entire food and drink stockpile on fire. For the longest time in 31.x series I routinely continued my complex scheme of a long hallway with many doors that could be locked to cut the flaming smiths off. Eventually I realized that those damn fire snakes weren't popping up in the forges every five minutes any more, and fire imps/magma men were also more rare, so I stopped using that design.

Most of my friends who've seen me playing just say "wtf are you doing?" and immediately lose interest if I tell them.

Is this a bad time to tell you that there was a very easy way to stop your smiths getting set on fire ever, even in 40d?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2013, 12:43:38 pm »

Yes, this is in fact a bad time to remind me that I was once completely clueless as to why my smiths kept becoming ‼smiths‼.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]