Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fps question  (Read 1527 times)

thebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
fps question
« on: February 22, 2007, 06:00:00 am »

I am confused about the fps in this game. I have most of the features that you can turn off turned off, in order to increase the speed, plus I have the counter on. I was noticing that my fps would plummet from around 150 down to 60, and stay there for no apparent reason. I am in the early stages of the game, with only 14 dwarves and no animals. Also, I am not running any other applications. Could anyone explain to me the sudden drops in performance.

[ February 22, 2007: Message edited by: thebear ]

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: fps question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 06:30:00 am »

How many random objects do you have lying around?  It could be a dwarf looking down the long list of things to do for work.
''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

thebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 06:45:00 am »

Well...besides stone I don't have much as of yet. I don't have any worn out clothes or equipment left by the invaders. I'm not stockpiling anything but food, wood, and ore at the moment, is all of the stone lying about the problem?

Dumbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 06:48:00 am »

You have to disable vertical sync for OpenGL to go faster than 60 fps. You should be able to disable it in Display settings, though the exact location may vary depending on your graphics card.

thebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 07:15:00 am »

I was going at well over 100 for quite some time, then for seemingly no reason it slowed way down. So I don't think it is the vsync, which is disabled anyways.I appreciate you guys trying to help me out.

[ February 22, 2007: Message edited by: thebear ]

thebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 07:51:00 am »

I just got a new wave of immigrants and, curiously, my fps went back up to 140. Does anyone know what the deal with the massive fluctuations is?

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 08:27:00 am »

Pathfinding issues perhaps?
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Doppleplex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 01:57:00 pm »

I also have been having FPS issues. I cant seem to find the option to change the vsync. Im running a XP proffesional with a intel graphic card, I think. Do you have any suggestions on where to look?

Axle Gear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 10:04:00 pm »

My studies show that it's actually video-unrelated.

I average 60 FPS on a system with 2 GB PC3200 DDR, a 1.8 GHz (1 GHz FSB) AMD64 Venice, and one of two VCs.
Either VC experienced no difference:

The X550 (128 MB, 256 MB shared) experienced 60 FPS at the start and slowed to 20 FPS in the 103 dwarf range.  When the game is paused, it would go to 150 FPS (or whatever you set the FPS cap to.)  Same for announcements, menu screens, etc.

The X1850 I tested got the exact same.

I beleive it's primarily CPU-dependant.

Doppleplex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 10:51:00 am »

Mine generally runs at 35 FPS when paused or at the title screen, and runs at about 17 FPS average with the 50 some dwarves I currently have. I still havn't managed to find any way to speed it up, although I have found a few ways to actually make the game run slower. I've pretty much given up trying to fix it at this point...

[ March 21, 2007: Message edited by: Doppleplex ]

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 11:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Doppleplex:
<STRONG>Mine generally runs at 35 FPS when paused or at the title screen</STRONG>

Is your computer an abacus plugged to a monitor? O_o
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Doppleplex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 11:54:00 am »

Well, that would be pretty cool, but no. Its an XP, and it generally runs most games at their correct speed. My other computer, which is a 9 year old 98, runs Dwarf Fortress much faster than my XP, yet other games that run fine on my XP are bogged down on the ol 98, understandably. So, really, the XP shouldnt be running Dwarf Fortress at such a low speed. As Ive said before, my graphics card setings menu seems to lack any type of option to change the vertical snyc, and I havnt had much luck finding it or anything else that would help elsewhere.

[ March 21, 2007: Message edited by: Doppleplex ]

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 01:46:00 am »

I installed DF on a friend's computer.  He seemed rather excited to play it!  And then when I played it, he was getting 6 FPS on the main screen.  I started the game, and he got 4, for the most part.  After about 2 hours, and finally striking the cave river, I gave up.

The worst part wasn't that it was slow, but that sometimes, when pressing a key down once, it would register it 3 or 4 times, making it really tricky to maneuver.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 03:22:00 pm »

You know you've made an interesting game when the graphics consist of ASCII tiles and people still contemplate FPS fluctuations. =)

I never checked my FPS for this reason but I will next time I make a fortress. I've got a meager 1.4 Ghz Intel Pentium IV, 512mb SDRam (133mhz) and a GeForce FX 5500OC (BFG Tech.)

So it's hard to find games that'll run. Never thought I'd be worried about a roguelikeish game running on it, though. XD

[ March 24, 2007: Message edited by: Keiseth ]

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 03:35:00 pm »

Maybe I'm just lucky, but my Pentium 2 750 Mhz pc runs pretty much anything i want it to at a decent framerate, including Dwarf Fortress... although I never ever ever make high-pop forts, because i much more prefer things like the Urist style of play. In fact, I always try to shut out all immigration. On the other hand, in adventure mode, I only really have big problems with laggy gameplay while in large towns. Maybe with some tweeking you can get your fps to where you want it to be.

As for drops in performance, check for flooding or trapped critters, both spam your cpu with pathfinding calls.

[ March 24, 2007: Message edited by: AlanL ]