Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Confused by Nist Akath and personal possession question  (Read 9612 times)

Irthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Confused by Nist Akath and personal possession question
« on: March 26, 2013, 04:56:15 pm »

On the forum and both in Wiki it is stated that killed Baron will not be replaced.
Also, replies on the matter date back to December 2012 if I paid attention.

On the other hand, in quite a few parts of the said succession game (http://aaron.acephalo.us/nist-akath/html/elizar/update373.html for example) Baron was "killed" and "re-appointed". Is that some kind of twist to make the game look cooler, and Baron was merely renamed, or it is possible somehow to re-appoint baron or get a new one? And is it the same with all other nobles?

It is not likely for my nobility to live long if they ARE replaceable...

Second question, are friendly goblins/giants possible if they initially attacked fortress? I realize it is unlikely event, but still.

Lastly, how dwarf generally get a hold of personal possessions? I understand they become attached to stuff, own stuff placed in the rooms, but other then that? Toys, musical instruments, mugs, clothing? Do they get a hold of them at random or when they need then or? Clothing is likely of particular importance, with unhappy thoughts and dignity issues. Should any of that be given to them somehow?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 05:04:41 pm by Irthos »

Grey_Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't claim to know barely anything about Fortress mode because I don't. But I assume with the coming update, We should get nobility succession and inheritance along with all the other associated entity/creature stuff.
Those sea serpents you sold me, they won't mate. They just swim around, eating, and not mating. You sold me... queer sea serpents. I want my money back.

Urist McFreud, Chief Psychotherapist Dwarf, has much to say regarding this statement.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Confused by Nist Akath and personal possession question
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 05:24:13 pm »

1: mayors can be appointed, barons can't. Most likely they renamed the baron or changed the position of baron to be appointable or something. I'm not sure if that is actually possible.

2: Don't really understand what you ask, but there are several cases where normally hostile creatures list as friendly. They could have been there when you embarked, either because you reclaimed or used embark anywhere to get on their town, or happened to find a kobold cave. In some cases that makes invaders 'friendly'. Usually they'll attack as soon as there is some battle anyway, don't know the specifics. Some creatures become 'friendly' after killing a FB or titan. No matter how you turn it though, it's no help. They don't actually fight for you or do any jobs.

3: Currently they only care about clothing, not toys or whatever and they'll replace their own worn clothing. Getting attached to an item usually only happens to soldiers with regard to armor, weapon or shield. The other misc items are currently only good for trading away, they may get more use in future releases. To repeat, you only have to make sure there is enough clothing, though slightly damaged clothing is a small thought. You only need to cover upper body, lower body and feet with three seperate items. A robe that covers upper and lower body only counts for upper body iirc. However, as long as you keep the clothes in stock they'll sort it out by themself.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Irthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 05:32:20 pm »

thank you for replies, I think it covers all my concerns. As of question two, it was about giant joining fort as a soldier in the tales of Nist Akath, but I guess it was a hoax for storytelling sake.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 06:42:17 pm by Irthos »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 07:03:35 pm »

only the founding race can become full members of a fort. One thing I can think of what they made the story about is capturing a giant and turning it loose on ambushes and sieges. Not really a soldier for you, he's not fighting -for- you, but still destroying your enemies.

On the other hand, it could be a mod, maybe they have a giant as pet
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 07:07:26 pm »

On the forum and both in Wiki it is stated that killed Baron will not be replaced.
Also, replies on the matter date back to December 2012 if I paid attention.

On the other hand, in quite a few parts of the said succession game (http://aaron.acephalo.us/nist-akath/html/elizar/update373.html for example) Baron was "killed" and "re-appointed". Is that some kind of twist to make the game look cooler, and Baron was merely renamed, or it is possible somehow to re-appoint baron or get a new one? And is it the same with all other nobles?

It is not likely for my nobility to live long if they ARE replaceable...

Second question, are friendly goblins/giants possible if they initially attacked fortress? I realize it is unlikely event, but still.

Lastly, how dwarf generally get a hold of personal possessions? I understand they become attached to stuff, own stuff placed in the rooms, but other then that? Toys, musical instruments, mugs, clothing? Do they get a hold of them at random or when they need then or? Clothing is likely of particular importance, with unhappy thoughts and dignity issues. Should any of that be given to them somehow?

Since DF2010, the nobility mechanics were changed, and the Baron would be appointed from the resident dwarves, and not be replaced.

Nist Akath was a 40d fortress, when the Baron was sent from the Mountainhomes, and replacements would also be sent.

Similarly, the economy has not been active since DF2010 (it doesn't work at all), and dwarves only claim clothes, rooms, and food. In 40d, the economy worked so dwarves could and would actively purchase items or otherwise obtain them as Baron or a Legendary dwarf (exempt from the economy).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 07:09:19 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 07:39:53 pm »

Nist Akath was a 40d fortress
I think Nist Akath started in version 0.27.169.32a, the very first 3D version, and got upgraded all the way to 0.28.181.40d (the last release before 0.31). It's a testament to just how hard Toady One tries to preserve savegame compatibility between versions.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.