Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 288039 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #3885 on: September 17, 2014, 04:56:48 pm »

5 bucks no-one involved will remember anything about it in a year.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: September 17, 2014, 05:06:15 pm »

They'll remember it for eternity, for it has a Wikipedia article. That article has a really long talk page.

A gamergate is also a type of ant apparently.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: September 17, 2014, 05:09:57 pm »

They'll remember it for eternity, for it has a Wikipedia article.
Notability.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #3888 on: September 17, 2014, 05:15:20 pm »

Yeah, probably the same thing as "Zoegate". I haven't kept too close a watch on the terminology.

It seems to have started when an indie game developer was revealed to be way closer with a bunch of game journalists than journalistic ethics usually allow. The game journalists aren't really talking about that, opting instead to post articles about how gamers are horrible people and how the dev in question (and Anita Sarkeesian) have been getting some more death threats. Discussion forums like Reddit have been indiscriminately banning everyone who brings it up. A lot of people are kind of upset about that, since they feel that their legitimate complaints are being silenced, under the guise of defending feminist game journalists and developers from rabid misogynists. This has also spawned the #notyourshield movement, consisting of various people tweeting about how it's immoral to use feminism to deflect criticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MxqSwzFy5w&feature=share
This video actually mentions the media response around the five-minute mark.

The latest news is one Milo Yiannopoulos writing an article about a secret mailing list where some games journalists have been discussing "what to cover, what to ignore, and what approach their coverage should take to breaking news".

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: September 17, 2014, 05:27:50 pm »

Game developers aren't talking about that, because the only real source is a jilted ex-boyfriend of said game developer. You can talk about silencing legitimate criticism, but I'm not going to take the word of someone with a relationship to the target that is both deeply personal and prone to extreme bias.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: September 17, 2014, 05:32:31 pm »

So now that Anita is a professional videogame consultant. I wonder if that paints anything.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: September 17, 2014, 05:44:51 pm »

So now that Anita is a professional videogame consultant. I wonder if that paints anything.

The takeover has already begun!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: September 17, 2014, 05:54:38 pm »

Actually, never mind. I'll reply to this in PM.
I can't remember if the boards let me delete my own posts.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 05:59:16 pm by Soadreqm »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: September 17, 2014, 05:58:47 pm »

Covenant you missed it... we had that happen RIGHT HERE in this thread.

Oddly called the Factual Feminist a Right-Wing propagandist... which is weird given that saying that there is nothing wrong with violence and sex in videogames is anti-right-wing.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:04:08 pm by Neonivek »

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: September 17, 2014, 06:02:55 pm »

There's been a couple of topics on it here. They both ended up locked, though.
Damn. I searched for it but found absolutely nothing.
Not sure whether I didn't use the right terms or if locked threads just don't show up.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: September 17, 2014, 06:35:56 pm »

The topics were closed not because people were too ranty

It was because the topic creator was kind of... overzealous >_>

Chinizz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: September 17, 2014, 07:56:09 pm »

I've just been banned on 4chan, for posting on a GamerGate thread on /v/. The censorship is going that far.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: September 17, 2014, 11:24:33 pm »

It's a shame they've finally got their hands on the only place that had even freer speech than Reddit (which they've controlled for years of course).

There's been a couple of topics on it here. They both ended up locked, though.

Damn. I searched for it but found absolutely nothing.
Not sure whether I didn't use the right terms or if locked threads just don't show up.

If anyone's curious, here are the locked threads. I wouldn't drag any conversation from any of them into here, for obvious reasons.
Thread 1 (not originally buy the guy who got banned)
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4 got deleted when he got banned. That thread was more about "defending the integrity of the game community" or something, since the /v/ threads he was getting his arguments from changed from ZoeGate to GamerGate (without the name of course) around then.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: September 18, 2014, 01:37:24 am »

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/09/17/Exposed-the-secret-mailing-list-of-the-gaming-journalism-elite

So the above article, is asserting that the several major video game journalism sites were in collusion and to disregard professional integrity. 
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: September 18, 2014, 03:29:07 am »

Covenant you missed it... we had that happen RIGHT HERE in this thread.

Oddly called the Factual Feminist a Right-Wing propagandist... which is weird given that saying that there is nothing wrong with violence and sex in videogames is anti-right-wing.

So, like, I'm not even sure why I bother engaging with you anymore with your incorrigible douchiness, but if you had bothered to click on my wikipedia link you'd have seen that the AMERICAN ENTERPRISE INSTITUTE is literally a right-wing think tank, even if the name didn't give it away. It's not an issue of judging whether it's feminist enough... it and Sommers are literally anti-feminist U.S. conservatives whose only "feminist" credential seems to be attacking feminists and being cheered on by conservative groups.

Further more irony in your display is how you've previously argued how men are themselves held to some ridiculous macho standard (correct me if I'm misremembering your position) and yet a part of Sommer's position is that pushing such standards is a good thing. See her post on A Voice for Men, notorious anti-feminist site: http://www.avoiceformen.com/men/masculinity-is-more-than-a-mask/

She pretends that 'gender feminists' are out to destroy traditional gender roles and that those are what are most vulnerable in this world because she is a dishonest spokesperson for conservative ideologies who need a woman to give their message and hope that it convinces people who are unaware that women can spread misogyny too. When you link to her and other conservative radicals or their creations, such as Breitbart or Adam Baldwin's #GamerGate, you are clearly establishing bedfellowship with some of the worst bigots out there. Don't be surprised when it's pointed out that your ideology and arguments are probably themselves bigoted.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 277