Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Breaching heaven: A Radiant force of light has arrived!!  (Read 10478 times)

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Breaching heaven: A Radiant force of light has arrived!!
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:47:37 pm »

since there is caverns and hell, and sometimes players build mega projects so far up that they cannot build any farther up into the sky. I was thinking of this: making a "cloud" layer above the sky that is mine-able and about as easy to mine as soil. There will be a couple of cloud layers with the third most significant one being heaven.

Various creatures spawn in the cloud layers just like in the caverns, but most of them being good, like winged unicorns, giant fluffy wamblers, etc... with trees and plants being good-aligned trees like feather tree and sunberry in addition to some new ones exclusive to heaven and the cloud layers. Plants from the skies wont grow on the ground, but will grow on muddied floor tiles that are a certain number of Z levels above the ground.

Once heaven itself is breached (which will be for no reason at all, except for fun, as hell is breached from greed for adamantium) your fort will be besieged occasionally from the sky by flying war-angels, heavily armored crusaders of the light, and lightly armored sky-elves because they consider all races of the earth (except for maybe elves) to be impure, and not completely "good". The sieges will have the message "The Enemy is Upon us: A Radiant Force of Light has arrived".

The siege may arrive in the cloud layers, the layer of heaven, or maybe descend to earth first and then advance like a normal siege. At it's worst (funnest!) the siege will be composed entirely of fliers that will fly down to the earth levels but not "walk" to your fortress, and instead fly.

Enemies and creatures that naturally occur in the clouds might also possess the ability to transverse the solid clouds freely as if they were air, making defending and fighting in the cloud layers more dangerous (fun) unless you construct everything there out of materials of the earth (and not simply mining and walling off entrances with bridges).

Helari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breaching heaven: A Radiant force of light has arrived!!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 10:02:45 am »

When deities and godly avatars are implemented I'd imagine they will be in their whole own dimension (planar travel is also planned afaik).

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 02:18:44 pm »

While I find the idea of "breaching heaven" to be unfitting in DF:s somewhat grimdark setting, I do think that you should be able to offend the gods with serious repercussions a lá the seven plagues or invasions by godlike creatures as a result.

Gauteamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Ignitur!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 08:59:49 pm »

Heresy: everyone knows the valar live in blessed Aman, offbounds for mortal dwarves now that all paths are bent.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 10:08:35 pm »

dwarves should already be offending the gods enough though, with their:

-avarice: all dwarves are naturally greedy, in fact, the whole system is based on wealth with wealth triggering aggression from megabeasts and invaders; oh and have you noticed the liason's catchphrase is: "our fortunes rise and fall together".
-wrath: another prominent dwarven sin, it is best observe in times of hardship that would have simply blown over had everyone kept their cool. But NOOO because it isnt dwarven, no, dwarves must "tantrum", be it from a carelessly built child-smasher to a pet cat used for goblin bait; their rage quickly spreads to others and if not quickly controlled via burrows, smashers, and slabs, would quickly overwhelm a fortress.
-sloth: best demonstrated by tenacious infestations of nobles and in their juvenile form; children. Dwarves that just sit around all day doing nothing but making friends (see wrath), and wasting food and resources that would otherwise be used by hard-working dwarves.
-lust: the only thing that causes more tantruming and is harder to get rid of than a catsplosion, is a childsplosion. There is a reason dwarven children do not naturally have a population cap and the circumstance of players' ending up with over 50% of their population being children being common. Dwarves "breed" prolifically, without regard for the impact that a childsplosion would inevitably cause.
-pride: Most easily seen in dwarven nobles, who make mandates and demands and get mad if other dwarves have better stuff than they do. Seen in dwarves as a whole for their tendency to construct massive "projects" for no reason at all.

so the gods have plenty of reasons to want to wipe out the dwarven race, but there needs to be something that pushes them over the edge...

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 10:42:25 pm »

before we reach heaven we would first encounter a giant castle where there are geese that lay golden eggs and the giants who protect them.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 10:45:41 pm »

I remember a thread exactly like this.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 12:07:12 am »

before we reach heaven we would first encounter a giant castle where there are geese that lay golden eggs and the giants who protect them.
this is a wonderful idea! heaven should be full of treasures such as this to give players some incentive to breach it other than just fun.

I remember a thread exactly like this.
really?
i swear i made this thread cuz i just thought of it and thought it would be nice

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 12:21:30 am »

hey, one does not simply
mine clouds!

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 12:30:52 am »

hey, one does not simply
mine clouds!
anything is possible in the magickal world of dwarf fortress!  ;D

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 12:41:35 am »

Mining clouds sounds cool.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 12:51:16 am »

Mining clouds sounds extremely high

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 12:56:24 am »

Oh dear lord another pun thread.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 04:11:10 am »

Oh dear lord another pun thread.

It's only air that we have a new one. It's been ages since the last one flew by.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 06:23:43 pm »

While I find the idea of "breaching heaven" to be unfitting in DF:s somewhat grimdark setting, I do think that you should be able to offend the gods with serious repercussions a lá the seven plagues or invasions by godlike creatures as a result.

DF doesn't really have a grimdark setting. Purposeful mutilation and trauma to harden hearts is all on the players, it isn't something dwarves just do all on their own.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5