Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Breaching heaven: A Radiant force of light has arrived!!  (Read 10005 times)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breaching heaven: A Radiant force of light has arrived!!
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 01:37:42 am »

dwarves should already be offending the gods enough though, with their:

-avarice: all dwarves are naturally greedy, in fact, the whole system is based on wealth with wealth triggering aggression from megabeasts and invaders; oh and have you noticed the liason's catchphrase is: "our fortunes rise and fall together".
-wrath: another prominent dwarven sin, it is best observe in times of hardship that would have simply blown over had everyone kept their cool. But NOOO because it isnt dwarven, no, dwarves must "tantrum", be it from a carelessly built child-smasher to a pet cat used for goblin bait; their rage quickly spreads to others and if not quickly controlled via burrows, smashers, and slabs, would quickly overwhelm a fortress.
-sloth: best demonstrated by tenacious infestations of nobles and in their juvenile form; children. Dwarves that just sit around all day doing nothing but making friends (see wrath), and wasting food and resources that would otherwise be used by hard-working dwarves.
-lust: the only thing that causes more tantruming and is harder to get rid of than a catsplosion, is a childsplosion. There is a reason dwarven children do not naturally have a population cap and the circumstance of players' ending up with over 50% of their population being children being common. Dwarves "breed" prolifically, without regard for the impact that a childsplosion would inevitably cause.
-pride: Most easily seen in dwarven nobles, who make mandates and demands and get mad if other dwarves have better stuff than they do. Seen in dwarves as a whole for their tendency to construct massive "projects" for no reason at all.

so the gods have plenty of reasons to want to wipe out the dwarven race, but there needs to be something that pushes them over the edge...

Why are you using Christian ethics to support a Heaven is Evil (but reskinned) suggestion?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 07:16:57 am »

Why are you using Christian ethics to support a Heaven is Evil (but reskinned) suggestion?
you know what? i have no idea, i aint religious myself at all i think these sins are just the most well known

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 11:42:37 am »

Well it makes no sense.  Maybe a set of sins or laws or doctrines or whatever from a belief system that allows for some grey area or interpretation between good and evil would be more appropriate.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 01:15:45 pm »

Well it makes no sense.  Maybe a set of sins or laws or doctrines or whatever from a belief system that allows for some grey area or interpretation between good and evil would be more appropriate.
Randomly generated morality codes? Oh lawdy.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 04:15:48 pm »

Personally, I don't think that gods should just be invading / wiping out fortresses for evil things happening there. Amorality carries its own punishment: laziness leads to things not getting done, which spells disaster depending on the thing. Letting someone be too wrathful shouldn't punish you by having the gods smite your fort, it should punish you because this wrathful person smashes your drawbridge lever in a tantrum or orders your master weapon smith hammered to death.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 05:09:14 pm »

well yes, that would certainly be nice, but it would be less fun for the player. So i'd just keep the suggestion for the reason the gods want the dwarves dead is because of their "impurity" and not being completely good. Just for simplicity.

And i dont think it completely makes no sense, it should make at least a little sense since most major religions in the real world have mostly the same rules but stated differently(refering to the post where i talked about dwarves' sins).

Personally, I don't think that gods should just be invading / wiping out fortresses for evil things happening there. Amorality carries its own punishment: laziness leads to things not getting done, which spells disaster depending on the thing. Letting someone be too wrathful shouldn't punish you by having the gods smite your fort, it should punish you because this wrathful person smashes your drawbridge lever in a tantrum or orders your master weapon smith hammered to death.
well yea, most things that offend gods also have consequences on your fort. But the original suggestion wasnt to have a complex system of religions, doctrines, or specific gods but just another realm that mirrors the underground caverns and hell; that would likely result in additional fun for the player.

honestly i just made like the wrath thing on the go when someone mentioned there should be a way to offend gods. My original suggestion kept it quite simple that the gods simply want everyone (except maybe elves) dead for being "not completely good".

Grey_Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 05:40:52 pm »

I'm kind of agree with a few other forum member's notion, that the idea of a "heaven", albeit one with it's own natural spin of DF, is just kind of too noblebright for the rugged realism DF often comes across as depicting. Although, when the OP mentioned swarms of fliers coming down from on high, I couldn't help but imagine.
Those sea serpents you sold me, they won't mate. They just swim around, eating, and not mating. You sold me... queer sea serpents. I want my money back.

Urist McFreud, Chief Psychotherapist Dwarf, has much to say regarding this statement.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 07:08:11 pm »

Well remember that these dieties are not "good" so to speak.

So them wishing to destroy a fortress because they just uttarly dislike it isn't anything too unusual. Mind you, I'd think it would take a bit more then just being a jerk to do it.

What makes everyone think all dieties are celestial bound is beyond me though.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 07:58:40 pm »

Dislike the idea of a "heaven". I'd prefer it if each god had a chance of getting their own realm depending on their power, and their spheres would determine what that realm looked like. earth and death would be a hades type vibe while air and light might be a more mt olympus type deal.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 11:07:35 pm »

Dislike the idea of a "heaven". I'd prefer it if each god had a chance of getting their own realm depending on their power, and their spheres would determine what that realm looked like. earth and death would be a hades type vibe while air and light might be a more mt olympus type deal.
That would probably work better for Titans, who are more corporeal in nature.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 02:12:51 am »

That would probably work better for Titans, who are more corporeal in nature.
Hell, they practically already do that. They're just not very godly strong.
Sig! Onol

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2013, 04:04:32 am »

They're just not very godly strong

Well given that Titans are gods, it just means gods are not that strong.

Mind you the Titans need some sort of "difficulty test" or something.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2013, 04:17:33 am »

They're just not very godly strong

Well given that Titans are gods, it just means gods are not that strong.

Mind you the Titans need some sort of "difficulty test" or something.
Titans aren't gods. After all, they can't smite you or anything.
Sig! Onol

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2013, 04:22:08 am »

The Titans are by definition gods.

I like to call them the Incarnate Gods (gods in physical form)

But specifically their alternate name is Genus Loci

they can't smite you or anything

*Squish*

"Dude, you just got smited by a large red dog"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2013, 04:28:22 am »

Clifford was a Titan?
This explains everything.
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5