Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Metalsmith Forge (again)  (Read 1505 times)

DonerKebab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Metalsmith Forge (again)
« on: February 22, 2007, 05:01:00 pm »

Sorry for the repeat, I've searched the history and it doesn't seem to answer my question.

I have an anvil which I actually got my dwarves to move inside to a furniture stockpile. I have light and dark stone blocks in a block stockpile.  When I try to build my first forge, I still get the error "You need stone blocks and an anvil".  What gives??

Thanks!

(also, my metalsmith almost died, got stuck in a jewelers shop that wasn't open from all sides.  I couldn't figure out why he was hanging out in there and getting unhappy.  Until he started hunting vermin)

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metalsmith Forge (again)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 05:38:00 pm »

Got any gray stone blocks?

DonerKebab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 05:47:00 pm »

Moonstone, Marble, Limestone, Jet in the stockpile.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 06:01:00 pm »

Are both in stockpiles?

DonerKebab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 06:03:00 pm »

Yes

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 06:32:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure you need just normal rock blocks.

DonerKebab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 06:51:00 pm »

You have GOT to be kidding me...Yes that's the answer.  Mere rock blocks are required.  Same for ashery by the way, which also tells you you need stone when you only need rock.  Thanks everybody.  Now if I can just figure out this elephant farming...

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 09:17:00 pm »

Yeah, one of the interesting things (which may or may not be a bug) is that anything that _must_ be made out of blocks, requires those blocks to be made out of grey stone.

Absolutely anything else can be made out of any blocks, including metal or glass (which makes for some very interesting looking workshops/stores/trade depots/etc.)

Xombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 03:19:00 am »

I built a metalsmith. Now i cannot figure how to make charcoal and/or bars of metal, burn trees and all to make metal items. I've reached lava river and didn't manage to make something out of those piles of ore filling all my fortress.

Maybe its good idea to add it to wiki too. There is a lot of info in metalsmith section and everything is quite useless to me. Its mostly a list of items smith can make.

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Coffee-Drinker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 03:49:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Xombie:
<STRONG>I built a metalsmith. Now i cannot figure how to make charcoal and/or bars of metal, burn trees and all to make metal items. I've reached lava river and didn't manage to make something out of those piles of ore filling all my fortress.

Maybe its good idea to add it to wiki too. There is a lot of info in metalsmith section and everything is quite useless to me. Its mostly a list of items smith can make.</STRONG>

Making metals bars isn't quite as simple as just having a Metalsmith. You'll need a Wood Burner Dwarf and a Wood Furnace to make charcoal, and a smelter to melt the ore into bars -- which your Metlsmith can run.

By the Beards of my Ancestors: There are Elephants inside the fortress. Seems like a good time to lie down right in front of them and... go to sleep
---last words of Cog Ingishontak, legendary Craftsdwarf

Xombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 09:48:00 pm »

Thats what I dont know - how to order to burn trees and melt ore? Can you explain it like for noob? There is no wood burner or smelter workshop in the list.

Somehow my weaponsmith made a copper artifact warhammer while i was trying to do something with that.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 11:13:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>Thats what I dont know - how to order to burn trees and melt ore? Can you explain it like for noob? There is no wood burner or smelter workshop in the list.

Somehow my weaponsmith made a copper artifact warhammer while i was trying to do something with that.</STRONG>

They're listed under Furnaces.

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 02:54:00 pm »

the procees u need to go through is press (b) to get to the build menu, then (e) to get tho furnaces. then its just a matter of building a wood furnace and smelter (cant remember the keys for those). U then need to use the orders menu (q) on each building to produce the required material (charcoal from wood furnace then metal bars from the smelter) is that helpful?
.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

qwip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 04:58:00 pm »

You can also check out the wiki. It can be a great resource for understanding how all the pieces of the game work together.
qwip

Efficiency is intelligent laziness

Seshat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 08:28:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>
Maybe its good idea to add it to wiki too. There is a lot of info in metalsmith section and everything is quite useless to me. Its mostly a list of items smith can make.</STRONG>

If you follow the links in the wiki's page abuot the forge, especially the links 'metal bars' and 'charcoal', you'll find the information you need on how to make metal bars (or charcoal).

I hope this helps.

Pages: [1] 2