Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cobrabrass - the Dragonic Civilization Succession Game (Year 2)  (Read 8229 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

The Council of the Elements called seven of us to their hall.  We all knew what was to come.  We were the size of an expedition team.  We took our places before the Council.  The master of Air spoke to us first.  “You know why you are here.  So we will get to the point.”  Earth then said, “We need a new fortress closer to the Ekimblas.”  Water spoke after, “We are sending you south across the mountains to construct this new outpost.  Expect resistance.”  Fire spoke, “We have no knowledge of what you will come across.  Contact those you come across peacefully, we do not want to have anyone else fighting against us at this critical stage of our civilization.”  That was it.  No choice, no options.   We just had to go, and do what we needed.   What the council did not know, however, was that one of the dragons before them had changed his name, and was the leader of the organization against their rule.  Along with him were some of his inner circle, and the rest would come in the migrant waves to follow…

This is going to be run using The Dragonic Civilization Mod, with an additional 1000 creatures generated by Talveno’s DFRandCreatures utility.  I am posting this after I have done the first year, so that I know that this won’t be screwed up like my previous attempt at a succession game.

Spoiler: the Map (click to show/hide)

Changes to standard succession game rules

If your overseer avatar dies during your turn, your turn immediately ends.

If you want to reuse the nickname you had with your previous avatar (with a II or III added) or possess anything that the previous had owned (bedrooms, family mausoleums, artifacts, etc.), there must be some form of familial relation.  If a family ‘dies off’ then the possessions need to be forbidden, as an act of remembrance to the fallen legacy.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 08:28:16 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Turn list
White - waiting
Red - done
Green - next/taking turn
Yellow - Skipped

1st Zanzetkuken the Great       Turn Post 
2nd CaptainArchmage
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 06:01:03 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

-Reserved for namings-
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 04:32:57 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Notice: If anyone decides to rename one of the dragons named within, this post will be edited, if the naming is within the first 3 years.

Obsidian 1, 2
We set out from the mountain today.  Our location is set for the southern edge of the mountains by the Elemental Council.  I was glad to get out of there.  My actions against the government would have brought about my end if I stayed there for much longer.  Rumor has it that there was an informant in the organization, but thanks to contact between members totaling two different people, my name has remained hidden.  However, the council is beginning to slowly get information on more members, so I am glad to get out of there.  I have arranged it so that I am getting myself and the rest of the organization’s inner circle out within the first year of the fortress.

Obsidian 16, 2
We are fifteen days in, and went through an area I have decided to call the Etiorum Cut.  Could be an excellent position for a fortress, however, it is too close to the citadels of the main civilization, and not where the council wanted this expedition to go.  I don’t want to risk being found out.  Not at this stage.

Granite 1, 3
We reached the other side of the mountain a few days ago.  One of the military-trained dragons that the council assigned to the expedition spotted the spire of a minotauran labyrinth.  I heard the call of a wild dragon, and two of the others spotted Rocs in the distance.  We had reached the destination, so we began to dig out the fortress.

Everything that was heard or seen came from the forest, but besides that, I have a bad feeling about those trees.  I’m not the only one, some of the others are avoiding it as well.

Granite 2, 3
The wagon caught on some deep mud, so we have been forced to pull the stuff to the side until we have an underground area to take the stuff to.

One of the miners, and a member of the organization, Feraem struck rock when he began to dig in, so we could remove some of the support pillars.

Granite 6, 3
Cinegisfec!  Giant Wren Zombies are spotted in the forest!  Hope they don’t come near.  I knew there was something about those trees!

Granite 6, 3
Aberope, the expedition leader assigned by the council, launched fire at the zombie, and hit the wagon.

Feraem charged in and through a combination of biting and fire brought down all of the zombies.

Of course, a fire has caught, and it will scorch most of the area around us, and a couple of the trees will burn down, but all of us are glad to see it burn, it will possibly bring down any more zombies that may try to attack.  A little too bad the remains burned to a crisp.  We could’ve seen if it was a reanimating biome.

Granite 18, 3
We have finished moving the supplies underground, and have set up a temporary workshop to build a hatch for the staircase.  Due to the alcohol and seeds being burnt, we have to dig out a well.  When I was checking over the supplies, it looks like the rope and buckets were burnt as well.  It looks like we’ll have to drink from the pool at the bottom of the access slope for a while.  At least, until we manage to get a metal industry working.

Granite 21, 3
We found Galena when digging out some additions.

Slate 21, 3
Carud shouted when he went out, turns out some Wakergas Corpses had come by.  Feraem launched fire once again, and he destroyed the hatch we had put in.  I was asleep for most of the fight.

Slate 24, 3
It looks like the biome is reanimating.  This has been noted for future overseers.

Hematite 25, 3
Has it really been that long?  Only thing that has changed is that someone is in the hospital for a reason that I have yet to learn and we have most of the initial places dug out.

Malachite 1, 3
Four migrants arrived today.  One of whom is a small hatchling.  I inquired as to why they made such a journey with a hatchling that is barely one year old.  It turned out they were forced to leave by the Council.  I wonder if any of them would be fitting to join the organization?  They have seen the oppression of the council, so they might be more favorable to join.

Malachite 3, 3
It turns out that one of the migrants was a craftsdragon.  One with great skill in brokering.  This shall be quite useful.  We have also celebrated for a reason today.  It is the first day of a hatchling’s second year, the first year of work for the betterment of the citadel.

Malachite 3, 3
Today, one of the members of the fortress, but not of the organization, has passed, dehydrated.  A coffin is being prepared to house the corpse.

Malachite 23, 3
Some dragons were on a personal crusade to destroy the Minotaur.  They succeeded.  We have sealed off the labyrinth, and I ordered the construction of a passage into the Minotaur’s room.  This would’ve been worrisome, since the location was in the reanimation biome, but the body was destroyed by fire.

Galena 20, 3
We have sealed ourselves in against the undead.  Migrants will go to the depot, which shall act as an airlock.

Limestone 12, 3
Today it was decided that any areas that have dirt are to be sealed off in order to prevent zombies from reviving.

Sandstone 15, 3
To prevent further destruction of the Labyrinth, I have sealed it off for archaeological expeditions and as an area to plan against the council.  Areas that have been modified by exploring miners have been smoothed.

Sandstone 26, 3
More migrants have arrived, a couple from the organization at that.  We need to improve the airlock passageway, but I will leave this task to future overseers.

Timber 16, 3
Aberope attempted to expand the walls.  He tried to defend it, and he has fallen.  We cannot risk going out to collect the body, so we will use a memorial slab until we are able to bring his body in.

Timber 28, 3
When the process of slabbing began, some of the migrants came up to me and told me about some others who fell on their way here.  I have other slabs queued up for them, because I doubt the council will do anything about it.

Moonstone 28, 3
Without access to the surface, refuse has been piling up, I have ordered a stockpile dug out along the Northwestern right-hand tunnel as a temporary solution.

Opal 13, 3
We have opened up the passage to the outside to finish construction of an airlock for merchants.  During this time, we recovered the body of the former expedition leader, he has since been put to rest in a coffin.

Obsidian 27, 3
Merchants came.  We brought our goods out, such as they were, and they didn’t even unload their mounts!  Some Cinegiseraet about our goods not being worth the time, but they would sure give it to the Council.  This injustice is why we need a new government.  Maybe a series of accidents should be arranged to kill off the council.  Well, at least on all of them except for Heret.  She is the only one who is for the people, and not out for her own gain.  At least, that was how she was when I left.  Who knows what will happen between then and the next time she is seen.

Granite 2, 4
It is with great pleasure that I relinquish control of the position of Overseer of this citadel.  There were too many dragons watching me, and I had no time to plan.  I am sincerely hoping that another member of the organization comes to power after me, but the will of the majority will decide what happens, not the will of the few.

Save

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile

Posting to watch! This looks like an interesting.
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Posting to watch! This looks like an interesting.

Not requesting a turn?  You did in the previous thread.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

Thanks I'll sign up for a turn!
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

The save is at the bottom of the journal post, so you can get started immediately.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The save is at the bottom of the journal post, so you can get started immediately.

No idea why but I am getting a memory leak on Mac, causing the game to crash. It doesn't happen on the windows version though.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

No idea why but I am getting a memory leak on Mac, causing the game to crash. It doesn't happen on the windows version though.

The save is in a winrar file, so that may be the cause.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have now determined that there are two rocs and a dragon on the map as current residents. There was also a minotaur. A large area has been completely burned out, likely by dragon fire.

As to the residents of the fortress, I noticed there's a great lack of clothing. Is this a bug or a result of fire?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

I have now determined that there are two rocs and a dragon on the map as current residents. There was also a minotaur. A large area has been completely burned out, likely by dragon fire.

As to the residents of the fortress, I noticed there's a great lack of clothing. Is this a bug or a result of fire?

That first thing was mentioned in my journal post...somewhere.

...If you knew how often the map was scorched...you wouldn't ask that second question.  Use the 'Dragonic clothing shop' when you get around to getting new stuff for everyone.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I didn't yet look in the raws, but is there a way to hack the noble positions to change "chief medical dwarf" to "chief medical dragon"? I'm using WINE to play the windows version and DFhack is installed.

I think we've ascertained the surroundings, to the northeast there is a mountain range, and notably the grass does not regrow because of bugs in the game (this may be fix-able with DFhack if people think its OK). Judging by the map diagram and flora present, almost everywhere to the west there is an evil temperate broadleaf forest. To the southeast, there is an evil temperate coniferous forest. There may also be shrubland present. It appears the re-animating biome is either the temperate coniferous forest in the southeast, or the possible shrubland, since there's a giant wren corpse partial skeleton in the temperate broadleaf forest to the west that probably hasn't moved for a while, at least according to the combat logs, for a few months.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

I didn't yet look in the raws, but is there a way to hack the noble positions to change "chief medical dwarf" to "chief medical dragon"? I'm using WINE to play the windows version and DFhack is installed.

I think we've ascertained the surroundings, to the northeast there is a mountain range, and notably the grass does not regrow because of bugs in the game (this may be fix-able with DFhack if people think its OK). Judging by the map diagram and flora present, almost everywhere to the west there is an evil temperate broadleaf forest. To the southeast, there is an evil temperate coniferous forest. There may also be shrubland present. It appears the re-animating biome is either the temperate coniferous forest in the southeast, or the possible shrubland, since there's a giant wren corpse partial skeleton in the temperate broadleaf forest to the west that probably hasn't moved for a while, at least according to the combat logs, for a few months.

There is, you go into the save, and then open the entity_Dragonic_civilization.txt.  I would be careful, though.  Stuff can get...complicated if you modify an already created world's raw files...

Grass should regrow, given enough time.  You really know how to identify the various biomes, but there is no shrubland.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is, you go into the save, and then open the entity_Dragonic_civilization.txt.  I would be careful, though.  Stuff can get...complicated if you modify an already created world's raw files...

Grass should regrow, given enough time.  You really know how to identify the various biomes, but there is no shrubland.

Thanks, I noticed those n tiles (shrubland) on the map. They occupy an area too small to actually be a biome, it may represent the area that has been burned up on the mountain. If so, the small display map (the rightmost tab with all tabs open) is also quite off.

Also grass should normally regrow, but there's a game bug where it doesn't regrow in mountain biomes.

It also appears these dragons can fly... and there's an outpost liason outside waiting to be let in.
Pages: [1] 2 3