Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combining single bolts  (Read 907 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Combining single bolts
« on: April 19, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

I know that there is the current problem that reclaimed bolts will not be put back into piles of 25, causing archers to carry only 1 shot in their quivers.

Is there any way around this besides dumping these bolts and making new ones? I hate to waste my ever so valuable steel bolts...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

[ April 20, 2008: Message edited by: Slappy Moose ]

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Combining single bolts
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 10:52:00 pm »

i read something somehwere in the modding forum about having an option in the metal reactions that made 25 single bolts into one stack of 25 bolts. i dont remember much about it, but it sounded fairly simple. I dont know if the person actually wrote this, or if it was just some idea. worth checking out though if you really want. i just get the caravans to bring me loads of steel.
-Toast-_

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 11:00:00 pm »

Thanks, I'll try to find that.

If anybody knows what the reaction is, please tell me.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 09:30:00 am »

I believe it's something like this:

code:

[REACTION:RESTACK_BOLTS]
[NAME:re-stack bolts]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BOLTS:METAL:STEEL]
[PRODUCT:100:10:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BOLTS:METAL:STEEL]
[FUEL]

This makes takes ten single Steel bolts and turns them into a stack of 10 Steel bolts. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to make a different amount.

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 09:37:00 am »

There are supposedly problems with that, such as the reaction picking up ten stacks of bolts and making one stack of twenty-five bolts out of that.  Needless to say, that's not very helpful.

I suggest melting them down.  There's supposedly a bug that makes a single bolt provide one third of a bar, so you'll make your steel back in no time (and then some).  However, I don't know if that's actually true.  Still though, it's better than dumping.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 10:40:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>There are supposedly problems with that, such as the reaction picking up ten stacks of bolts and making one stack of twenty-five bolts out of that.  Needless to say, that's not very helpful.

I suggest melting them down.  There's supposedly a bug that makes a single bolt provide one third of a bar, so you'll make your steel back in no time (and then some).  However, I don't know if that's actually true.  Still though, it's better than dumping.</STRONG>

Yeah, they make too much metal.
But it HAS to be done in ONE smelter.  (At least three of them, so it makes the bar)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 11:18:00 am »

Wow, so adamantine practice bolts DO make sense :P

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 12:45:00 pm »

Okay. I guess I'll go back to melting down bolts until Toady fixes the bug.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 06:36:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure that bug was fixed a while ago, at least I never seem to get excessive bars from melting lone bolts at my dedicated melting smelter.

That smelter reaction can be useful if you go to the trouble of forbidding/reclaiming the usable stacks, but it's to much micromanagement for most purposes. You also run the risk of masterwork defacement tantrums for melting down their masterwork bolt.

Most of the time I'll just use single bolts as an extra trade good.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"