Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flushing pets  (Read 3535 times)

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
Flushing pets
« on: March 27, 2013, 06:57:05 pm »

I noticed i had a catsplosion and dogsplosion in my fort, too many stray pets, who would care about them?
So i decided to kill cull the population.
First i decided to butcher them, but thatwould take a long time so i was going to build additional butcher shops and so on, but that would have taken long too.
So i had an idea, mass extermination. My first thought was to crush them under a cave in, but i would have to dig it and prepare and everything, then i remembered i have working drowning chamber that has not been used /evilsmile.
So i put a pasture on the chamber, sound the civilian alarm so noone has an unfortunate accident there, seal the chamber and open the water inlet.
Since it has a 5 z level high reservoir it filled almost instantly, then open the outlet, good luck i had forgotten to put bars there, most of the bodies went down the drain.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Flushing pets
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 03:56:41 am »

Who needs a better computer when a simple drowning chamber will do the same thing for a fraction of the cost?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 08:33:00 am »

I find that a danger room using real spears is an effective method.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 09:03:25 am »

The game simulates gravity rather well. Use it, for explosive effect.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 09:07:50 am »

If you drop them from great height, their exploded gibs will provide more meat, leather and bones than butchered creatures do.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 11:32:27 am »

I generally cull rather than let the population get out of hand.
Generally kill anything I don't want to breed and for those I want to breed I slaughter excess adult females and all but one adult male. (if short on food then the young go as well).

Annoying things like pets can't be solved this way though but never had a problem with them when culling is in place.
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 01:28:12 pm »

Capture and confine a forgotten beast, then drop the kitties into its lair.

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 03:26:10 pm »

I didn't think about setting pastures in a flood chamber. I normally have a skip or room somewhere set up as a dump for all useless things (worn clothes, eleven goods, etc) that gets flushed from time to time with lava. Its fun seeing the smoke pour out of it. I suppose it could jsut be designated a pit/pond for excess animals too.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 05:49:13 pm »

The physics in the current version make exploding creatures from a drop much more difficult, if not impossible. One solution is to drop a minecart from a modest height onto a creature (with something heavy in it), which'll consistently explode things into pieces.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 06:27:29 pm »

The physics in the current version make exploding creatures from a drop much more difficult, if not impossible.
I get things to explode on 20~zlvls.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 06:53:16 pm »

I was going off of this. Rereading, it later says that a test at 30z got an 80% exploding rate, so I definitely was mistaken there. Unless there's a significant difference between 19 and 20, that's still weird that 20 gets exploding to work for you... maybe there are more factors than height, not sure.

Edit: Looks like 25z is the magic number.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110718.msg3375755#msg3375755
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 07:01:16 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 08:04:33 pm »

Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Only in DF would someone say this. Indeed, the juxtaposition of the two statements and how completely whiplashy the whole thing is is absolutely hilarious. I'm sigging this.