Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bedroom construction  (Read 579 times)

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
bedroom construction
« on: October 03, 2007, 11:55:00 pm »

So, this is mostly just a 'hmmm...' kind of post.

I read in the wiki lots of situations where it indicates that basically the writer  even early in the game has lots of cabinets and chests/coffers and beds to build bedrooms for non-noble dwarves pretty much at their beck and call.  I'm in year 1062 or so, and I still have a good 30 or 40 cabinets and over 100 chests to go to fill up the rooms I'm renting to my over 150 dwarves.  Am I not producing at full capacity?  I know that my haulers are busy as heck, after the multitude of goblin sieges has left my front door a three-screens-of-crap-per-square mess, but I am still producing stuff.

John

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: bedroom construction
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 12:44:00 am »

There's really no need for cabinets and coffers until the economy starts.  Beds, yes, you should build - but even for a fortress of 25 you can still get away with 7 beds, shared as a barracks.  

If your mason is low-level and your haulers are too busy, the workshop may be cluttered, which will slow down production quite a bit.  It shouldn't take more than a year of strait work to make that many cabinets and coffers if you're working at full capacity with a decent-level mason.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 05:37:00 am »

you don't really need cabinets - clothes are buggy right now, so just don't make any. coffers are only needed if you want to turn the buggy economy on, and even then half the time dwarves will just let coins pile up rather then store them

chests you don't really need at all (except for nobles). most dwarves won't collect much of anything, and storing them on the floor shouldn't be a problem.

needless furniture raises the rent, which makes it more annoying to give rooms to the haulers (which is 90% of everyone in my forts).

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

JadeFalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 09:01:00 am »

I usually just throw a cabinet in case they get the urge to clean up any clutter or the odd chance they want to store something.Coffers I don't bother with anymore as if I decide to activate the economy I just lock all my coins in a vault behind to sets of locked iron doors and have them all live off credit.

Early game I'm not to concerned with it and after a few years your usually getting lots of masons in the migration waves so I'll throw one or two of these on cabinet construction before I draft them into the military.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 10:04:00 am »

Cabinets are usually empty because your dwarves usually wear the new clothes they get; they occasionally store extra clothing in them though.  I don't know what the deal is with coffers as I've never seen coins inside of them though.