Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A bad place.  (Read 2303 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
A bad place.
« on: March 29, 2013, 02:47:54 am »

My head is in a really bad place right now and it's hard to shake out of. I'm not looking for pity or even necessarily emotional support from this little slice of the internet, but i'm wondering.
I'm sure many of you have before reached a point in your life where it's hard not to feel like you are broken. How do you cope? What is your own way of making things seem just a little bit better for yourself, how do you deal with life while it's kicking you?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A bad place.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 02:57:30 am »

Generally, I first say "Okay, I'm broken" and then I say "whatever," because that's not what I've decided to care about with my majority of my brain cycles.

I realize that this may not be the best way to deal with it, but right now it's what I seem to need.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 03:07:44 am »

I think i can sort of understand that, and have gotten to similar points before.
Though i'm the kind of person who might let that become a recursive cycle that might swing out of control into i-genuinely-hate-myself territory.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 03:08:38 am »

I find that a sense of black humor helps me cope with a lot of down periods. My despair can get absurd at times and it's easy to poke fun at myself. If I can get enjoyment from anything I latch onto that and the knowledge that this phase will eventually pass, giving me more opportunity for those experiences.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 03:22:05 am »

Nah, some part of me is always running on "I genuinely hate myself" territory.  However, it's become something like a housepet I keep around.

"VECTOR YOU SUCK GO DIE IN A FIRE"
"That's nice, dear."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 03:26:09 am »

Everything is temporary.  Try and remember that :)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 03:39:30 am »

I used to have horrific depressions, then began working out. Try lifting weights and seeing how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. When you're in a bad place, that's an opportunity to do something radical, because you've nothing left to lose.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 03:52:13 am »

I recall how beneficial my existence has been and will continue to be to those I share this world with, in spite of whatever personal problems or flaws I may or may not be dealing with.

There's a sense of solace in knowing that no matter how shitty or fucked up I might feel, I can at least be sure that the Earth as a whole is, even if only to a small degree, a better place because of my presence in it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 04:53:34 am »

I find that a sense of black humor helps me cope with a lot of down periods. My despair can get absurd at times and it's easy to poke fun at myself. If I can get enjoyment from anything I latch onto that and the knowledge that this phase will eventually pass, giving me more opportunity for those experiences.
Black humor is one of the best things for dealing with bad scenario's, both within your feelings and outer scenarios. In fact it's such a powerful tool that it has been shown that one of the most important things needed for people to live through those "I shouldn't be alive" situations is to have at least a little black humor about it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 05:01:50 am »

I watch a bunch of comedies, or good engrossing upbeat shows and books, try really REALLY hard not to get into the destructively constant re-thinking whatever negative thing it is that's bringing me down.  It's actually pretty easy to get so worked up about even minor stuff that you can't sleep or think about anything else - that's just not productive.   Walk around, get out of the house, go shopping,  go out for ice cream, get involved in an engrossing game or hobby activity.  Time passes and whatever it was fades a bit at a time and just isn't as important any more.

People literally suffered for years to save enough money to make a long, unpleasant trip here and then work their asses off for a life 10x as difficult as whatever current problem I think is so damn important.  Life goes on...

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 06:20:56 am »

Black humor is one of the best things for dealing with bad scenario's, both within your feelings and outer scenarios. In fact it's such a powerful tool that it has been shown that one of the most important things needed for people to live through those "I shouldn't be alive" situations is to have at least a little black humor about it.

This. I'm not sure how effective it is in the long run but black humor really helps me feel better for a bit. The fact that I've got these "down" periods often means that it might not be the best solution though.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 08:23:29 am »

theres one of 2 ways to deal with this depending on the type of person you are.

1. make a little time to talk to yourself and confront yourself, find the root of whats making you feel this way and act to change it, you should feel better if you've started to untangle it and work it out.

2. if the any of the above method is a little too uncomfortable to deal with then i suggest finding something (or even multiple things!) to do to distract yourself, try to not think of your state and just act normally, dont think thoughts like "am i depressed?" "am i broken?" "am i sad?", actually try not too "think" to much at all, it should get better or at least have a feeling of wearing off later.

attempting to meditate might supplement the second method

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 02:08:25 pm »

When things are bad, I like making lists. If I'm feeling crushed by things that need doing, I like to prioritize my problems so I can make a plan of attack. When I'm really depressed I like to make a list of things I'm glad for, or things that are bigger than me or my problems, to put things into perspective. The whole process helps me see the way forward, and like I have a measure of control over things. A short example:

Things are pretty shitty right now. Here are a few things that are more important than that:
    1) I have shelter, food enough, and more than a few creature comforts.
    2) My health has been good.
    3) I'm learning new things, and getting a bit better at old things, every day.
    4) It's early Spring, which means hiking, swimming, and awesome storms are soon to come.
    5) There are many people in my life who want good things for me, and who love and/or tolerate me.
    6) I have work enough to live off of, and spare time enough to pursue my own interests.

Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Floating weightless in a cavern.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 12:39:42 am »

I used to have horrific depressions, then began working out. Try lifting weights and seeing how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. When you're in a bad place, that's an opportunity to do something radical, because you've nothing left to lose.

Lifting has helped me a ton also.
In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars, and sought to better themselves for the good of all.
But we are much wiser now.

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 12:56:48 pm »

My head is in a really bad place right now and it's hard to shake out of. I'm not looking for pity or even necessarily emotional support from this little slice of the internet, but i'm wondering.
I'm sure many of you have before reached a point in your life where it's hard not to feel like you are broken. How do you cope? What is your own way of making things seem just a little bit better for yourself, how do you deal with life while it's kicking you?

Honestly? I feel broken constantly, and I've just given up on the Depression, and ignore it the best I can. Then again, I actually do have a metal illness that is the cause of that, so.... (Clinical Depression.)
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.
Pages: [1] 2