Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions that have been asked way too much  (Read 881 times)

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions that have been asked way too much
« on: April 20, 2008, 01:24:00 pm »

Q. How can I clean my dwarves/items/dogs/whatever of blood and vomit?
A. Those are the Dwarf Fortress verson of battle scars. You can't remove them.

Q. Why do caves spawn these little circles that say "granite" or some such thing?
A. Caves do not spawn rocks, miners drop rocks when they mine through rock tiles.

Q. My dwarves are dehydrating, but I brought 300 units of booze!
A. Dwarves drink lots of alcohol. The very first thing most players do is get started on farming plump helmets.

Q. But my dwarves cooked the plump helmets already!
A. Most players, before they build a kitchen, press [z] to go to the Stocks screen, then go to "Kitchen" and disable the cooking of Plump Helmets and Plump Helmet Spawn.

(list is very incomplete, someone add on)

[ April 20, 2008: Message edited by: GreyMario ]

t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions that have been asked way too much
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

NOTE: you can clean dwarves, but it requires somewhat complex cleaning processes. Basically, if you submerge a dwarf in 4/7 water (the highest safe depth), the vomit and blood will be washed off. They'll all be replaced with water-coverings, though   :p

Q: How do I remove dead things from cages?
A: Go to the stocks menu, head to "corpses", and designate them for dumping.

Q: Why aren't my levers/pressure plates working right?
A: Just about everything has a delay from pulling the lever/hitting the plate to activity. Wait a few seconds.

Q: I wanna put a pressure plate under a bridge to crush enemies, but I can't put it underneath! What's up with that?
A: the bridge counts as building even while raised, so the pressure plate can't coexist with it. With the aforementioned delay, though, you can put the pressure plate a few steps before the bridge so that it activates while the invaders are under the bridge's swing.

Q: Why aren't my spikes hurting anything?
A: Spikes only work when you attach them to a lever and pull repeatedly. They won't do anything by themselves.

Hope these help. I think I've had to ask those questions once or twice myself   :p

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by GreyMario:
<STRONG>Q. Why do caves spawn these little circles that say "granite" or some such thing?
A. Caves do not spawn rocks, miners do.</STRONG>

This may give the impression that miners alone can spawn stones, which is of course not possible. I think some newcomer-friendly elaboration would be nice, such as "Caves do not spawn rocks, miners do when digging into rock".

quote:
Originally posted by GeneralValter:
<STRONG>Q: Why aren't my levers/pressure plates working right?
A: Just about everything has a delay from pulling the lever/hitting the plate to activity. Wait a few seconds.</STRONG>

Actually, half of the things you can link to levers and pressure plates will always react instantly. I can elaborate if desired.

Also, there are seemingly some bugs with pressure plates, so the delayed reactions are not always to blame for pressure plates not working as expected.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 03:45:00 pm »

Q: I uncovered a cave river will towercaps only grow near the river/on mud made from the river?
A: Uncovering a cave river releases ltos of spores so any underground mud will have tower caps grow on it

Q: My dwarf is trapped in a workshop he built and is starving to death why wont he leave it?
A: All workshops have at least one unpassable tile if there is only a one tile entrance to the workshop (the other edges are surrounded by wall) ensure the entrance isnt blocked.

Q: My noble mandated some metal items i ordered the bars smelted but before i got round to making anything the mandate disappeared, why?
A: Bars count toward mandates.

Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 03:56:00 pm »

You've got to be joking.

I refuse to believe that anyone would not make the connection between digging and rocks.

Shoes...

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 04:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>You've got to be joking.

I refuse to believe that anyone would not make the connection between digging and rocks.</STRONG>

You're probably right, but if people go to the effort of answering questions for newcomers, they may as well try to eliminate any possibility of ambiguity.

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 05:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>You've got to be joking.

I refuse to believe that anyone would not make the connection between digging and rocks.</STRONG>

You asked, here's the proof. Laugh at this moron's idiocy!

t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by GreyMario:
<STRONG>You asked, here's the proof. Laugh at this moron's idiocy!</STRONG>
Y'know, the title of this thread, and the questions and answers you posted, are incredibly condescending. You're welcome to think what you like about the intelligence of someone posting here, but you've no cause to insult them when all they've been is naïve.

This thread's a fine idea, it just needs a different title (how about "Frequently Asked Questions"?) and more kindly-written questions and answers.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 06:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>Y'know, the title of this thread, and the questions and answers you posted, are incredibly condescending. You're welcome to think what you like about the intelligence of someone posting here, but you've no cause to insult them when all they've been is naïve.

This thread's a fine idea, it just needs a different title (how about "Frequently Asked Questions"?) and more kindly-written questions and answers.</STRONG>

/agree  The learning curve of the game is bad enough with no graphics... I could see how he thought they were "spawning."

"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 06:55:00 pm »

I think he just worded it incorrectly.  I doubt he thought they just popped up.

You are kind of a jerk, Greymario.

Shoes...