Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: newbie mining questions - deselect/cancel channel area, mining  (Read 7766 times)

mstram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
newbie mining questions - deselect/cancel channel area, mining
« on: January 10, 2014, 10:03:21 am »

A couple of newb mining  / DF questions :

1)
I selected a "large" ? (30x40 tiles)  area for channel(ing) (df 0.34.11), and it's  taking forever for the dwarves to channel it.

Is there a way for me to cancel / deselect the area, either using "native" DF commands or something in dfhack ?

2) After channeling an area, I try to use "d,d" (Mine), but it doesn't select the second point / an area. 

After pressing enter, I get the first tile flashing, but after moving the cursor, pressing enter, the first tile stops flashing, i.e. it cancels the selection.

thx

Mike

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
Re: newbie mining questions - deselect/cancel channel area, mining
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 10:13:53 am »

1) if you want to deselect a designation (whether it is designated to be mined, channeled, cut down, carved etc), you need to just choose 'remove designation' near the bottom of the (d)esignate command list.
So you just need to press (d), then press (x) to un-designate the area you have designated for channeling.

2) Are you trying to 'mine' the area that has already been channeled? You can only mine walls - so you can only mine on the z-level you are currently on. Mining leaves a floor and a ceiling on that z-level you designated the mining on.
Channeling digs the tile you have designated, and the one below it, only leaving a floor on the z-level below the z-level on which you channeled.

It sounds like you cannot mine wherever you are selecting - which means it is most likely 'open space' or just a 'floor' ( ie not a rough stone/soil/clay/sand wall).

mstram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 11:06:45 am »

>You can only mine walls

Ah !

I guess that makes sense ... and probably how real world mining works ?  (Don't want to "mine" your floors ?)

>you need to just choose 'remove designation' near the bottom of the (d)esignate command list.

Duh, never fails,  I saw that, after I posted here

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 01:41:23 pm »

The graphic in the Stairs entry in the wiki might be of general assistance to you.