Advanced search  

Poll

Cant get rid of this

- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 06, 2013, 08:55:48 pm

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23

Author Topic: ☼Masterwork Succession Fortress: Exultationhexxed - Who needs migrants!☼  (Read 62697 times)

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Sucession Fortress: Name to be discovered by CognitiveDissonance
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2013, 07:42:23 pm »

Downloading. This is Masterwork? And Terrifying? Yeah, I've never touched Masterwork. I'll do my best, but no promises...
Don't worry. YOU'RE ONLY GONNA DIE.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2013, 07:53:23 pm »

Well, it loaded without a hitch. And it even runs my favorite tile set. I can easily play the first year, setting up the basics. I won't be able to do much with the advanced features. Are you guys cool with that?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2013, 07:55:51 pm »

Well, it loaded without a hitch. And it even runs my favorite tile set. I can easily play the first year, setting up the basics. I won't be able to do much with the advanced features. Are you guys cool with that?
fine with me.
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2013, 08:03:23 pm »

I won't be able to do much with the advanced features. Are you guys cool with that?
You'll do better than me. I've never tried Masterwork. When I tested embarking on an all-terrifying location, I got repeatedly incinerated by nightmares/nightstallions before I could even get the supplies underground. Hopefully a partial-terrifying embark won't be as bad.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2013, 08:38:49 pm »

This embark doesn't seem too deadly, and it's got a gorgeous view. Is the valley supposed to completely flood with water though? No matter, it's nothing a dam/drainage system can't fix.

I'm going to right on ahead claim the fisherdwarf, because his god preference (death and rebirth!) is going to play rather nicely into what I have planned for my turn. Give him a Spear and change his profession to "Spisherdwarf."
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 08:51:59 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2013, 08:45:54 pm »

Mwahaha. All i'll say is, watch where you dig, and beware.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:19:39 pm by The Master »
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2013, 11:30:35 pm »

This embark doesn't seem too deadly, and it's got a gorgeous view. Is the valley supposed to completely flood with water though? No matter, it's nothing a dam/drainage system can't fix.
Ooooh. Ooops, and crap. That river is... partially flowing backwards. In my defense, it was partially flowing backwards before I edited anything. It looks like The Master chose a Play Now embark, so I'll post a fixed one in a few minutes.

I'm sorry everyone!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2013, 11:31:23 pm »

But... I just finished a turn! And about to do a write-up! The river works, it just seems to dry up in the winter...

Spoiler: context (click to show/hide)

Well, we have arrived! Well, arrived is a strong word. We are on a cliff heading towards a tundra, and this tundra is creeping me out. It just... feels wrong. Off to the distance, I can see strange clouds hovering above ground. I can also see strange shapes moving in odd motions that make my eyes itch. Could be the squinting...

Damnit, I'm the expedition leader! This is a nice place. We have a waterfall, and a great view. STRIKE THE EARTH!

Everyone is picking up their equipment, so I decided to go over the official documents. We are the... Exultationhexxed? Oh man, that name does not bode well. But then again, it could be worse. I've heard stories of a place called boatmurdered... at least there are no elephants to be seen. Just... what is that thing?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looks like some kind of bird, but it's translucent. Erm, I think it's my imagination playing up. I better get to work.

First things first, even out those ramps around the wagon. Wouldn't want it sliding down now, would we...

I had the miner dig a shallow ditch, and in a burst of stupidity he dug straight into a pond. Well, when the crundles come, make crundle biscuits. I ordered the expansion of the new moat!

I had to physically wrestle some folk away from the river. NO FISHING! You see those olm? YOU SEE THOSE FISH? Water kills you. It's like cold magma. No, you are not fishing. What? You want a spear? You are a "Spisherdwarf", what is that? You are picking berries now, get going.

I can't decide whether the first months are the best, or the worst part of a new settlement. Nothing is happening but mundane work... but at the same time, nobody is dying. We started digging dowards, and setting up basic workshops. As a precaution, I made a few crossbows but everyone looked away when I offered one. One dwarf named Spish asked me if it's a spear. Is a crossbow a spear? No, it's a crossbow.

Also, it's raining which is making me irritable. I'll go back underground and make some beds for us to sleep in. Away. From. This. Rain.

One of the workers called me over to the cliff overlooking the river. It seems that not only is the river flooding...

There seems to be a water dragon swimming in there. Hey, did I mention we have a moat? And I hate aboveground? Yeah, I'll go do that now. ---OH MY GOD ITS COMING THIS WAY EVERYONE RUN! ... oh, it's going past us. Well then!

While I was sleeping, apparently two dwarves came in. They were the only survivors of an travelling party who were lost in the tundra. My worries were correct - they were beset by strange creatures and a mist. A mist, apparently, can be quite horrible. From their words, their friends melted. Turned inside out. Became horrible beasts. All at once! A mist that they barely escaped on their way in. I... excuse me.

After I was done drinking sewer brew, one of the newcomers accosted me. He said he is NOT a clerk, as originally stated on the record, but an experienced soldier. He... just happened to moonlight as a bookkeeper once. His name is apparently, "The Master" (yes, with a "the") and he will now be appropriating the crossbow I made. And ordering the construction of personal barracks to train in. I'd protest but... I don't want to argue with him. He has that glint in his eye....

I was scared to death wandering outside when one of them jumped in, and grabbed a wheelbarrow. Why would they want a wheelbarrow?! But steal one it did. As I watched mortified, The Master rushed outside with a hellish yell. Before I knew it, the langurs around me dropped dead pincushined with +wood bolts+. And now there's blood everywhere, which makes the place look better.

Also, Langur are delicious. And make for great ammunition!

We struck peat, and then rock! Ah, it's good to handle rock. I loaded it into a wheelbarrow, and took it to the stoneworks. We now have graphite ("No, it's not for inkmaking. Who makes ink?!") and hematite. Delightful! I will have some metal made at once.

---a spear, apparently. I'm making a spear. LEAVE ME ALONE SPISH YOU'LL GET ONE.

Also, we struck something called "rubble". What is "RUBBLE?" I think the miner needs some fresh time. I don't want any "rubble".

More of the adventuring party arrived. Apparently those brave folk survived in the tundra for the last few months, hiding from whatever lives there. With new weapons being forged, I assigned their leader to our burgeoning military. ---Yes Spish, you too. You are in the military now. The Master felt the need to demonstrate how to use an axe, which he learned somewhere. Why? You don't have an axe. They don't have an axe. Oh whatever, as long as he stays down there I'm happy.

The merchants will be coming soon, so I have commissioned some stone trinkets to be carved. Instruments, crafts and the like. I'll go make some bins.
Just on cue, they are here! Hope they like what we've done with the place.

I was really busy for a while, but finally found time to deal with the liaison. Apparently, the tundra was our real destination and the mountainhome isn't impressed. I don't care, we're already here. Have some stone flutes.

After shaking his head, the liaison left me with this order:

The river bank is still flooding, and there seems to be some freezing. Where this tundra begins, the water just... freezes. It's unsettling.

This HAS been a quiet winter, but apparently our new furnace worker stepped on a snake. A giant rattle-snake, which promptly strangled him to death. How? How do you miss a snake? Before I could say anything, The Master was pulling his recruits out to kill them. Two got away. One, well, I can see how Spish works now. I think he had a lot of practice on snakes.

Snake isn't as good as langur.

Also, I should make burial ground. And a hospital. Yeah, I'll get right on that.

Did I mention I have my own little hideaway underground? It's an escape from the hectic work of running this place. With only 14 of us, this is already busy.

I had the troops geared properly, with iron armor and leather padding. I think they are ready for what to come. Attached is my report for the future overseer, who will receive the reins as per our tradition. I'm happy actually, as i have had a migraine the length of this winter. Good luck, whomever gets picked next meeting.

Spoiler: ground level (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: sand level (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: main production (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: clay layer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: second clay layer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Quarry and Expansion (click to show/hide)

Best of luck, I'm going to go admire my statue of dwarves.

SAVE:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7551
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:21:29 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2013, 11:38:39 pm »

edit: Definitely keep and post the turn!

It's fixable. Sorry to make you worry! Working on a small edit to make the river stop flowing uphill. That'll unflood the valley, too. Also, I suck.

edit: Downloaded CognitiveDissonance's save and applied the river direction fix, without unpausing. Testing it while the fixed save uploads.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:41:14 am by gchristopher »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2013, 12:16:29 am »

Updated my previous post with details and save. Basics are up, even an iron-geared military. Good luck  ;D

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2013, 12:50:30 am »

Actually, don't fix it juuust yet (assuming the save is uncompressed and you still can). This river bug is going to make it a whole lot easier to install a lever-operated dam :D

I'll get right to it as soon as I'm ready to begin. It may be a while before I have everything planned out though, haha. I'm slightly disappointed you didn't center the fortress around the waterfall, but it's workable.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:38:47 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2013, 01:41:37 am »

Actually, don't fix it juuust yet (assuming the save is uncompressed and you still can). This river bug is going to make it a whole lot easier to install a lever-operated dam :D

I'll get right to it as soon as I'm ready to begin. It may be a while before I have everything planned out though, haha. I'm slightly disappointed you didn't center the fortress around the waterfall, but it's workable.

Spoiler: Well then... (click to show/hide)

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2013, 01:59:52 am »

Sneeaky. Taking advantage of the freak-of-nature river anomaly to be dwarfy.

It turned out to be pretty easy to fix with dfhack. One more year of the river mysteriously flowing into the cliff wall doesn't hurt anything.

In fact, I'll just put the fix-it lua script up so anyone can fix the river whenever they want. Here's how:

I've tested the fix for a season and it seems to bring the river back to life without any more flooding. There might be a big FPS hit as the river re-fills. But once the river stabilizes, FPS should be a lot better than the initial embark, hopefully good enough that Necrisha can play!

Again, I'm very sorry for messing that up for everyone!

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2013, 02:54:19 am »

No worries, I'm on a first-gen netbook and struggle with 4X4's when both lava and a stream is involved. Though I'm trying to develop a personal mod that has some of the advantages of Accelerated mod with some of "fun" stuff you find in others. And as a rank beginner it goes slow.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Chimpanzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sucession Fortress: Exultationhexxed
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2013, 11:31:48 am »

I would like to take a turn in this.  :)
Please put me in the list if you have any free place. I'd appreciate it.
"I am a Legandary Weaver! Nobody handles cloth like me"
"Yeah, that's great. Hey, are you done? If so, we need to smelt this ten thousand large load of hematite. I'll see you next month."
"WHAT AN OUTRAGE! I AM A LIVING LEGEND! I SHOULD BE WEAVING"
"That's nice. Tell you what, pretend you are weaving metal out of this ore. Now get to work."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23