Advanced search  

Poll

Cant get rid of this

- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 06, 2013, 08:55:48 pm

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23

Author Topic: ☼Masterwork Succession Fortress: Exultationhexxed - Who needs migrants!☼  (Read 60637 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Masterwork Succession Fortress: Exultationhexxed☼
« Reply #195 on: May 08, 2013, 12:43:10 am »

Awesome!

Is it at all possible to change tilesets in-flight?
No, not really.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 08, 2013, 01:20:41 am »

Awesome!

Is it at all possible to change tilesets in-flight?
No, not really.
Okay, thanks! It's pretty easy to change in vanilla. Never tried in Masterwork.  Back to trying to figure out where All The Things are!

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 09, 2013, 01:10:10 am »

Well, well well. Spish "Icybrass" Ushil, faithful worshiper of, uh, "the Lacy Charm," was having a rather bad day. It had been an entire year of faithfully toiling as overseer, bothering to read reports, figuring out what all the worthless layabouts in Exultationhexxed should be doing, stringing up orc sneaks, and dealing with whatever unnatural gibberish the local weather and laws of physics threw at him.

Enough was enough. Someone else needed to take this thankless, worthless, job so he could get back to his drinking in peace. But nobody would step up to do the job. Worse, when he declared "I quit, go find yerselves another sap to oversee this place," he had the strangest feeling that everything came to a halt, that he was trapped in some kind of perpetual, endless state of overseeing. This was no proper way for a dwarf to get drunk, and Spish badly needed a drink.

After kicking a pet landmine into the moat, (because maybe kicking a landmine would get him out of this fix, maybe?), Spish wandered over to the wagon that brought them all to this Armok-forsaken frozen hole. For some reason, the wagon was still sitting outside the fort, moldering quietly. It was then that he saw a small, flat object sitting unnoticed among the rotten plump helmet rinds, beard trimmings and fuzzy yak hats. (Putting funny looking hats on their long-suffering Yaks is a longstanding, if little-known dwarven tradition. For some reason, cats seem amused at Yaks in funny hats as well.)

Spish picked up the object and after peeling off a wrapping of Giant Wombat leather, he realized it was some kind of book. On the cover was a pattern that looked like three circles intertwined. Rings, maybe. The binding was terrible, and most of the pages seemed randomly aligned and ready to fall out.

Knowing that, in general, nothing good comes of books, Spish carried it back into the fortress and ordered As Ungodlyminds, the Mad One to open it. "She's already crazy, the book can't make things any worse, right?" thought Spish.

As looked as though he'd handed her a dead rat to lick, but obediently took the book. "A binder with three rings on it," she said. "Who ever heard of a 'three ring binder?' It don't sound very dwarven to me." But she peeled open the dusty, giant hamster-dropping covered thing anyway. There was a simple label inside:

"It don't look like nothin'" said As, "just some old book." But just then their Preacher, The Master, who had vaguely planned this expedition, was walking by after finishing sparring. He stopped and stared at the three ring binder as if entranced.

"That... that script! That's not possible," The Preacher began. "That's Armok's ink. Nobody knows how to make it anymore. That's how the most important dwarven learnings were founded, at the dawn of time. Turn the page!" As complied:

"See! See! It's Armok's truth!" The Master looked over the exquisite, breathtakingly lifelike artwork on the page. "Let's see more!"

None of them could puzzle out the strange assortment of triangles on the page, but astonishingly, the name of their head miner, Zacen, was spelled out! They quickly called him over and asked if he knew what kind of holy gibberish they were seeing.

Zacen had grown to legendary skill from his time mining out Exhultationhexxed and had no troubles interpreting the markings. "Oh yah, that's a way they used to draw the mines. Why's it got my name on it?"

They flipped through more pages of the three ring binder and found the names of other dwarves in the fortress, along with instructions, simple and complicated. Page after page of things to do, more than they could ever finish.

Page... after page... of decisions that Spish didn't have to make, he suddenly realized!

"I quit being overseer! How about we just do whatever this book says?" he exclaimed in a rush of relief. This place wouldn't be his problem anymore!

The Master agreed wholeheartedly, though some of the other dwarves seemed reluctant when the book mostly told them to haul things around. Even better (for Spish), that strange sense of everything coming to a halt abated, and the world seemed to start moving again, full of fresh new directives to ignore while drinking and relaxing.

The dwarves of Exultationhexxed continued with a renewed sense of purpose, as though they were carrying out Armok's holy bidding.

Which, of course, they were.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 09, 2013, 02:25:34 pm »

Haha, this is looking to be a great turn so far. Keep it up mate.

It seems the only way we'll be able to get migrants (or at least enough to start making artifacts) is if we convert the caravan guards to our cause with hacks/mind control. Or force everyone to get married and start having babies. Not even restarting the fortress completely seems to bring us migrants past the first few mandatory waves.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 09, 2013, 05:34:28 pm »

Haha, this is looking to be a great turn so far. Keep it up mate.

It seems the only way we'll be able to get migrants (or at least enough to start making artifacts) is if we convert the caravan guards to our cause with hacks/mind control. Or force everyone to get married and start having babies. Not even restarting the fortress completely seems to bring us migrants past the first few mandatory waves.
Thanks!

I noticed that our created wealth is just barely above our imported wealth, and our exported wealth is negligible. That could be killing migration. Not making it to 20 dwarves is annoying, so we can't Planepacked a super-expensive artifact.

I was going to see if I could spam a few hundred thousand in wealth exports in a year. Not having magma is the major impediment to green glass trap component abuse. Thankfully, you handed me a level 19 miner and nobody ready to tantrum. The down side is that we'll pass production and export thresholds to invite more Fun invasions.

In the near future, look for Spish having to "imagine building a road below you," using his Dwarven Ground Penetrating Radar to chart a course down to magma.

I have already had a "what the f*** is warpstone?!?" moment. Thankfully for the very limited mining corps, their magic book has taken the time to read the crazy Masterwork raws and tell them to mine around it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #200 on: May 09, 2013, 05:45:33 pm »

Note the miners that are member of the MasonsGuild (which also boosts mining) are almost immune to warpstone. It still makes them sick, but it cant kill them.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sucession Fortress: Exultationhexxed
« Reply #201 on: May 10, 2013, 04:12:26 am »

Thanks!

I noticed that our created wealth is just barely above our imported wealth, and our exported wealth is negligible. That could be killing migration. Not making it to 20 dwarves is annoying, so we can't Planepacked a super-expensive artifact.
I somehow doubt that. Horrorfailed's situation was significantly worse (in addition to having a 90% migrant mortality rate), and they STILL came in spades once we tapped the adamantine veins. Here it is not so.

BTW
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:38:30 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 10, 2013, 12:54:13 pm »

Thanks!

I somehow doubt that. Horrorfailed's situation was significantly worse (in addition to having a 90% migrant mortality rate), and they STILL came in spades once we tapped the adamantine veins. Here it is not so.
Could be it's broke. I've never seen a game have migration halt before. Crazy! Guess we'd better keep people alive. It's still mid-spring, but I think one of the dorfs was wandering around the entrance areas doing something with ramps, carrying a diagram that had lots of little red giblets all over it.

I spent something like 5 hours just carefully designating things. They actually finish tasks faster than I can figure out where things go. A lot of rocks need to be moved off tracks, but only a few squares so they don't spend the entire year hauling.
BTW
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thanks! I'll dorf them tonight. Aigre got to Urdim first.  Tomio175, do you have a second-choice dorf?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 01:16:50 pm by gchristopher »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #203 on: May 10, 2013, 03:59:07 pm »

I just wanted to leave this here, because it is intended for succession forts, but either people think its silly, or they dont know that it can be done. Its a feature I made for succession forts, but seemingly no one every uses it. So, please excuse me spamming this in the masterwork-related succession fort threads.

You can build the category titles in the workshop/furnace menu as an actual workshop. It will spell out the name. Thats all. Intended for labeling areas ingame, to make it easier on the next overseer. Or as decoration.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 04:00:47 pm by Meph »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 10, 2013, 04:24:08 pm »

Can I adopt:

Urdim Syrupoutrages, Proficient Axedwarf/Thresher, faithful worshipper of Tithleth, "a born fighter" and father of 16 children o_o
A Masterwork succession fort!? Why wasn't I told of this!?
Sign me up, dwarf me as a militiadwarf.
Aigre is dorfed as Urdim 'Aigre' Udibzar.
chaosgear dorfed as Ezum 'Chaosgear' Gakitbokbon.
That's it for military dwarves for now!

Almost ready for an update. It's 6th Felsite, late spring. The elves should be here soon, and there's not a single minecart rolling yet. But boy oh boy, have they been digging.
You can build the category titles in the workshop/furnace menu as an actual workshop. It will spell out the name. Thats all. Intended for labeling areas ingame, to make it easier on the next overseer. Or as decoration.
That's hilarious. I usually use lots of Notes for that purpose.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 10, 2013, 04:28:49 pm »

(clip) but either people think it's silly, or they don't know that it can be done.

Let's go with "don't know that it can be done."
I've been looking at your fort over in the other thread and wondering how METALWORKS showed up over the forges ...
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 11, 2013, 01:26:19 am »

... "Maybe the book is broken?"

... "Are you sure this thing knows what it's doing?"

... "Ach, all I've been doing is digging in strange circles"

Having abdicated even the pretense of thinking for themselves, the dwarves of Exhultationhexxed found themselves following a very tedious and repetitive, yet exactingly careful and precise set of instructions. Head miner Zacen didn't seem to mind being the focus of every plan, though.

Following some very strange directions, Spish had spent the morning with his head pressed to the ground, imagining building roads. Some mysterious sense told him where the rock felt more solid, and so that was where the stairs began.

For everyone else, most of the work consisted of moving rocks a very short distance, because apparently it was critically important for the rocks to be slightly out of the way of ... something. They weren't actually being moved anywhere useful, just usually placed on the stairs in neat piles.

Drinks, Breaks, and "Noble" activities were quite popular, but work proceeded!

What is WITH all the damn warpstone, anyway? Digging rapidly turned into a high-stakes game of dodging around the potentially lethal explosive rock.

Quite quickly, though, on 25 Granite, 264:

Magma, and lots of it! For some reason, dwarves can either see through magma or innately sense things below its surface, because they immediately became aware of far more.

FIVE veins of seductive blue metal were spotted immediately. "This place may be cursed, but I'll be getting an axe the King'll be jealous of," was The Master's first thought.

That wasn't all, though:

"What in Armok's left nut is that?" CogDis asked.
"Ah, it's just some thing. Probably doesn't matter," Spish replied. And the matter was closed. It's probably no big deal.

(editor's note: I thought I'd be later in the turn order and was hoping it was someone else to dig deep.)

The plans changed abruptly when the magma sea revealed another strange mineral.

Magical, infinite water was apparently available right by the magma sea! Digging expanded to include a channel from the Tear cluster. (Editor's note: This was another "what the heck is that?" moment. Warm Tears of Armok don't work to produce water, apparently. In frustration, I cheated and used another one that was very close by, because the coincidental find was too good to not use.)

So, magma had been located, but it was deep, deep underground, far from anywhere the dwarves were living and working. If they were to make use of it, some method of raising it had to be found.

For once, the three ring binder provided a simple, clear and easy answer!

"What's that say?" said Spish. "I just finished forging some iron minecarts. No idea why, seems like a waste of good metal."

Again following precise, tedious instructions that used very small words, the dwarves set up a pump and a few other small works, some of which seemed pointless.

An iron minecart, submerged briefly in magma, would fill up with liquid stone. It was quickly placed inside another iron minecart, which was just cool enough to handle, and haul to the surface. In this way magma was poured into a small pit, bringing a magma glass furnace into full operation. Of course, no one knew how to use it. Moldath Lurkeskal, the bookkeeper, was voted most useless by general acclamation and put to work turning sand into various useful devices and surprisingly worthless trade goods.

(Editor note: ARGH! Masterwork really reduces trade values for some things. Maybe it's back to silly roast trading.)

15 Felsite, 264: Well, crap!

The elves brought some interesting-looking creatures, though! Dragon Raptors and Magma Hounds. All the new wealth of the fortress was hauled to the depot and Urvad Mulashgusil, the Broker was sent to see if she could negotiate a trade.

Wait, a merchant just turned down a 50%, 1000 profit? Oh, Urvad has absolutely no skill in Negotiation. None.

Chaosgear was promptly appointed as new Broker, ordered to re-try the trade, and promptly decided to go get a drink.

The dwarves are impoverished, have abandoned most useful activity in favor of digging a complicated and possibly useless series of spiraling ramps deep into the earth, and can't buy themselves a pet dog because they're so socially inept that they're incapable of even getting themselves ripped off.

At least someone seems to be enjoying the situation, though.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 01:28:57 am by gchristopher »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 11, 2013, 01:51:05 pm »

CogDis comes through and successfully buys a female Dragon Raptor! That sounds like a handy thing to have around. It promptly claimed a nest box and laid three eggs! Let's hope the males were on the map long enough to fertilize them.

Also, there's a chained up Brook Troll repeatedly killing a moleweasel corpse that keeps coming to life. It seems okay with this arrangement.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 06:35:29 pm by gchristopher »

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 11, 2013, 07:10:12 pm »

Ah, you didn't succumb to FPS death after finding the curious underground structure? Interesting...

The raptor can be trained for hunting (speed) or war (power). I'd like to clarify the reason the elves brought so few goods is because the Dragon Raptors weighed two tons each, so be careful about ordering a bunch of giant animals like I did. :P

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 11, 2013, 07:41:51 pm »

Ah, you didn't succumb to FPS death after finding the curious underground structure? Interesting...
Maybe because I hit the magma sea, so all that was exposed was a deep part of the wall? It didn't open the third cavern layer or create paths for any potential inhabitants.The elves hit my FPS worse than the structure, which surprised me, but the lowest FPS I've seen so far was 185, so I can't complain.

The raptor can be trained for hunting (speed) or war (power). I'd like to clarify the reason the elves brought so few goods is because the Dragon Raptors weighed two tons each, so be careful about ordering a bunch of giant animals like I did. :P
Aaah. Well, oops. I ordered more raptors and magma hounds because at the time I had to place orders, the 0 skill broker had failed to purchase anything. If nothing else, if the current batch of eggs don't hatch, then next year's overseer can clear out the nest and let the one raptor lay more eggs with males present on the map.

Summer's done! Working on the writeup as time permits.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23