Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a very simple forgotten beast cave-in trap  (Read 4665 times)

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
a very simple forgotten beast cave-in trap
« on: March 30, 2013, 07:12:07 am »

not sure if this design has been posted before, but i came up with it on my own and i havent seen anything really like it on the wiki. This is the cave-in trap design i use to instantly get rid of forgotten beasts. This is my most refined design yet:

wall=W
raising bridge=R
retracting bridge=r
floor=F
support=S
bait=B

floor 1:
   W R W
 B R S R    <-forgotten beast going for bait
   W R W

floor 2 (above):
W r W
r  F  r
W r W

the raising bridges on the north and south sides of the first floor are connected to a different lever than the east and west bridges and are only raised once. They act as walls without floors.

the support is connected to another lever that is far away or walled off to avoid cave-in dust.

note: this trap must be in the middle of the path from the caverns to your fortress, or the forgotten beast likely will not try to path to your bait, which is a piece of furniture.

workings: i've noticed forgotten beasts destroy buildings from exactly 2 squares away so it will stop right under the support (it wont destroy supports) and try to destroy the bait. Raise the west and east bridges on floor one at this time and collapse the support afterwards. this trap reloads fast as well since you just need to give the command to build the support and then the command to build the floor and re-link the support.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Re: a very simple forgotten beast cave-in trap
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 08:04:05 pm »

Really clever! I'm dreading the arrival of a "deadly dust" FB at my current fort, and may have to place a couple of these.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a very simple forgotten beast cave-in trap
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 05:12:45 pm »

Indeed, very nice and simple design, I like it!  Reminds of the cage-in-a-cage design I use to lure alligators with tasty kittens.  (I love me some tamed alligator farms)

The only change I could see myself making is a pressure water spout either above or orthogonal to the death chamber, to wash away any syndrome goo before sending the dwarves in to reload.