Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Neat world  (Read 2395 times)

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Neat world
« on: April 01, 2013, 02:08:06 pm »

Uh, so I generated a new world.
I set it to
  • medium size
  • medium (250 years) history
  • very high number of civilizations
  • very high number of sites
  • very high number of beasts
  • high savagery
  • sparse minerals
...what turned out (after over 60 or so rejections) is a world still in Age of Myth with thriving undead-raising industry (there is even place with 3 necromancer towers in neighborhood, though there are many undead-free areas, too) and quite a few evil embark opportunities but that's not the best.

The BEST are the dwarven civilizations. There are six total.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So I imagine quite a few of you have seen something similar but I am taken aback and can't decide which civilization to pick. In these mostly necromancer-found civilizations, majority of nobility seems to be composed of murderous psychopaths, goblins, members of cults which seem to have something to do with alcoholic beverages (or worse) and frequent visitors to the depths of the world seeking means to prolong their lives. It's amazing!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:18:05 pm by Tarqiup Inua »
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Neat world
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 04:26:24 pm »

Opinions? Anyone wants me to upload a save? Do you think such world would be good for succession game? I welcome any thoughts on this.
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

TheSharkable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 04:38:48 pm »

I like the sound of this. Looks quite interesting.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 04:38:48 pm »

I just read all of that and laughed. That is a pretty impressive set of legends you have there, sir.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 01:13:09 am »

I think the best was when somebody screwed something up and generated an inside-out world with the surface down low and the hidden fun stuff on top.  But that is a fairly oddball set of legends you have there.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Experimentor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 11:04:28 am »

I'd like a copy of that save if your still willing to share :)
Quote from: misko27

If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 01:30:59 pm »

I'd like a copy of that save if your still willing to share :)

Here you go. -> link

A bonus! - It's a world with lots of towers - there is even spot with 8 of them around.

All folders are in .zip format, if there are problems with that, contact me and I'll se what can I do.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:33:04 pm by Tarqiup Inua »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 02:09:51 pm »

This is pure vanilla DF right?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 02:12:09 pm »

Yup! ... I play on Mac but I don't suppose it affects the way saves look in any way... there is even the .exe file in my df folder so I suppose they are similar a lot.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 02:16:24 pm »

Yup! ... I play on Mac but I don't suppose it affects the way saves look in any way... there is even the .exe file in my df folder so I suppose they are similar a lot.
Yeah, saves are OS independent (though the same world generation settings will sometimes generate different worlds due to the way different OS's round numbers).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.