Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Aliens & Stuff  (Read 16509 times)

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aliens & Stuff
« on: March 30, 2013, 12:52:29 pm »

I recently got interested in the entire UFO conspiracy thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwLf6uxAvKo

What do you guys think? I find the entire topic of extraterrestrial life and cover-ups very plausible.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aliens & Stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 12:54:21 pm »

It's statistically improbable that there isn't extraterrestrial life in our galaxy. However, little grey men are not secretly visiting the Earth, building monuments for ancient humans, mutilating animals, and abducting people. Fin.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 12:55:33 pm »

Mostly just tests of as yet undeclassified military technology. I believe the generally accepted figure is that the public doesn't learn about new technology until 15 years after it's developed for the American gov't. Considering the rate at which we have been advancing I feel that explains almost all sightings.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 12:58:26 pm »

Mostly just tests of as yet undeclassified military technology. I believe the generally accepted figure is that the public doesn't learn about new technology until 15 years after it's developed for the American gov't. Considering the rate at which we have been advancing I feel that explains almost all sightings.

This, so much. Military R&D is always ahead of what's actually in the field. There almost certainly have been coverups, but they're covering up secret testing, not aliens. Actually, the people responsible for keeping these things under wraps probably love all the conspiracy theorists who have hooked onto something which is so blatantly loony.

3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 01:28:06 pm »

What do you guys think? I find the entire topic of extraterrestrial life and cover-ups very plausible.
Jeffrey and Murphy live in a small cottage in Antartica together snacking on wandering scientists. Otherwise, no, unless you count deep sea creatures and humans as teh aliums.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 01:28:10 pm »

What those guys said.

There's almost certainly some form of life out there, but we most certainly have not made contact yet.  Any species intelligent enough to master interstellar travel is likely intelligent enough to keep away from us bastards.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 02:53:33 pm »

There's almost certainly some form of life out there...
Anyone have any sources for this? All I’m getting is the Drake Equation, and that depends upon variables no one can fill yet.

Any species intelligent enough to master interstellar travel is likely intelligent enough to keep away from us bastards.
Right, because we’re probably an exceptional case. Random mutation by natural selection would certainly create a society of saints everywhere else in the universe, just not here.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:57:03 pm by Fenrir »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 02:55:51 pm »

Watching the videos now.

Stuff as it comes in.

Claim: Aliens were attracted by nuclear detonations.
Problem: The speed of light means that they'd have to be pretty close, as the first seeings date from directly after that period. If they'd been so close, then why didn't they react to to radio transmissions.
Reality: The nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki started the Cold war. The alien rumor was created by the CIA to hide the launches of experimental sensor craft.

Claim: Earth would be a threat to other civiliations.
Problem: How can they know this, without visiting first. Also, there's a tremendous difference in going to the moon and back or interstellar travel. Basically, the power's required for the latter would be a WMD on their own.
Reality: Space is really freacking big.

Claim: Earth was under observation for 10000 of years
Problem: Lightspeed, again. You'd have to look rather far to find us and then your sensors need to be rather hard to actually notice us. Also' there's the delay and such.
Reality: Space is big

Anyone have any sources for this? All I’m getting is the Drake Equation, and that depends upon variables no one can fill yet.

Yup, drake's equitation is the only thing we got. Still, we do know that there's plenty of room there.
Oh, and if you take extraterrestrial live as an live not on Earth, then there is. The lunar landers were not entirely decontaminated, nor were most probes.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 03:00:45 pm by 10ebbor10 »

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 02:57:45 pm »

I believe in Alien life existing. The universe is simply too big for us to be the only race to form a civilization. Them finding us, or vice versa? Probably hasn't happened yet.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 02:58:10 pm »

The drake equation is for civilizations we could actually meet. Life itself could theoretically easily show up, since the building blocks are quite abundant as far as I know, and all you need is one replicator to start the chain.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 03:00:05 pm »

I watched that video. So this guy is saying that
1) Aliens are concerned that our nuclear weapons are a threat to them
2) The alien craft are powered by an energy source, which humans have apparently reverse-engineered, that can extract near-infinite amounts of energy from a "quantum flux field", whatever that is.
And also that oil company people are keeping it silent because it would replace oil. In the same way, I suppose, that the oil companies hushed up nuclear power. Which is apparently superior to the alien stuff, anyway. If these aliens, despite absolute air supremacy, a strategic position at the top of Earth's gravity well and a FREAKING INFINITE ENERGY SOURCE, still feel threated by a couple of hydrogen bombs, they're the kind of pansies I don't really even care to know about. That could be another reason it's been hushed up, actually. The aliens turned out to be so LAME that letting the public know about them would just be embarrassing.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 03:03:35 pm »

...all you need is one replicator to start the chain.
But do we know what the chance of getting a replicator is?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 03:08:03 pm »

...all you need is one replicator to start the chain.
But do we know what the chance of getting a replicator is?
It's obviously non-zero. Given the estimated number of Earth-like planets in our galaxy alone it's rather absurd to assume that life has arisen only on Earth. Same deal with human-level intelligence; if it's beneficial enough on Earth, chances are it's beneficial elsewhere. Certainly there's a possibility that life has never existed(/originated, in the case of contaminated human spacecraft) anywhere but Earth, but that's... unlikely.

3. Run Resize Enable

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 03:11:31 pm »

This so much. You don't want to know what the miltiary research was on, even 20 years ago.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 03:33:52 pm »

This so much. You don't want to know what the miltiary research was on, even 20 years ago.
i do. what?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9