Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dragon Ball: Battle of Gods out!  (Read 7598 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Ball: The manga, the anime, the legend(ary super saiyan).
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 06:00:12 pm »

Um, Gohan High School arc wasn't by Toriyama at all. Anything after Cell, didn't have Toriyama hand in it all. Buu Saga has some pretty decent moment, but it also uneven in it's levity, and forgetting it's character growth, and Buu having... the most forms. It got kinda of silly. I'm particularly not a fan of Goten, even though I love the idea of the Fuzion and it's Dominate/Submissive thing going on there. (I do want a fatenks plushie though. >.>)

That's news to me.  I was always under the impression that Toriyama did write it at least, but he didn't want to and only did it due to contractual obligations / fan pressure / needing more money.

Wait, didn't he want to end it with Frieza initially?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 04:13:27 am »

Gohan High School arc wasn't by Toriyama at all. Anything
after Cell, didn't have Toriyama hand in it all.

Incorrect. You're thinking of GT. Toriyama did write both Great Saiyaman and the various Buu Sagas.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_%28manga%29

The confusion comes in because:

1) Toriyama had intended for it to end a number of times, but kept working on it anyway because of how succesfull it was.

http://www.kanzentai.com/trans-daiz02.php?m=10&id=interview#link

"Toriyama: I initially thought that I'd end it after they finished collecting the dragonballs."

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Frieza_Saga

"It has been speculated that the original Dragon Ball creator, Akira Toriyama, originally intended to end the series with the Frieza Saga, with a major symbolic event which would provide closure to the series. However, despite some fan response that the series was losing momentum, the popularity of the series was high enough that the series continued. "

2) There is not a one to one correlation between manga and anime. Manga takes longer to produce, and since the anime was being produced at the same time, occassionally it outpaced the manga. When this happened, filler material was created to give the manga time to catch up. Most notoriously, the Garlic Jr. saga:

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Garlic_Jr.
"Garlic Jr. is the only villain, outside of Dragon Ball GT, to not be in Akira Toriyama's original manga and have an entire saga named after him. He is a brainchild of Toei Animation. "

So yes, there is material that appeared in the Dragonball Z, the anime, that was not created by Toriyama and didn't appear in the manga, but Great Saiyaman and Buu both were in the manga written by Toriyama.

Specifically:

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Manga

"Story arcs

* Goku arc (chapters 1-134)
 * Piccolo Daimao arc (chapters 135-194)
 * Saiyan arc (chapters 195-241)
 * Freeza arc (chapters 242-329)
 * Android arc (chapters 330-420)
 * Majin Buu arc (chapters 421-519) "

...both sagas are part of the Majin Buu arc.

Quoting also from this interview:

"Q:     And then the Cell arc ended. Did you think that everyone felt you would put Gohan into the leading role?
A:     I intended to put Gohan into the leading role. It didn't work out. I felt that compared to Goku, he was ultimately not suited for the part."

That's specifically Gohan's High school / Great Saiyaman saga that he's referring to.

And the Frieza saga wasn't the longest saga in DBZ. It's actually the second shortest, with the Buu Saga being the longest. But the 3 Saga aren't terribly different in length. Frieza Saga is 24 percent or so the series, where the Cell Saga is about 29 percent and Buu Saga about 32 percent.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_Guide

* Freiza is the arch villain for Namek, Captain Ginyu and Freiza Sagas. That comprises 99 out of 291 episodes. 34% of Z.
 * Cell is the arch villain for Imperfect Cell, Perfect Cell and Cell Games. That comproses 55 out of 291 episodes. 19% of Z.
 * Buu is the arch villain for Majin Buu, Fusion and Kid Buu sagas. That comprises 60 out of 291 episodes. 21% of Z.

Granted, during Namek and Captain Ginyu sagas, Freiza isn't personally fighting the Z team, but he is running around genociding planet Namek, he is coordinating the Ginyu force, he is there and he's obviously the lead villain. If you want to narrow it down more precisely, Freiza's appearance isn't until episode 8 of Namek saga, titled appropriately, The Ruthless Freiza. But even so, 92 instead of 99 episodes out of 291 is still 31%, half again episodes more than either Cell or Buu spent as villains.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 04:25:41 pm »

I liked it all until GT, which i stopped watching, but i know how it turns out becouse of playing games and reading stuff.
I didnt like Frieza vs Goku fight, there was too much talking, not too much fight, and it was over 20 episodes long or something.
After some time in the anime, they seemed too powerfull, destroying planets with energy balls when everyone raises hands:P
I watched also the special episodes about Brolly(Every one), Tree of Life, and Garlic or whatever.
And it contains over nine thousand memes is full of memes. So i loved it.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 06:13:46 pm »

So there's a new movie coming. How about that?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2012, 06:22:22 pm »

Well now...
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, 11:31:29 pm »

On parody news, Dragonzball PeePee is out.

"VIRGINIA! HANGING OUT WITH LITTLE BOYS IN SPANDEX AGAIN I SEE!"

"Yes."

"I love you vergaina but you can't be doin that come on"

(I've got no beef with DBZ as a series, basically what everyone else said about it, but these animations are hilarious)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Ball: Battle of Gods out!
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 11:30:19 pm »

New movie's out. Full spoilers can be found online.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 01:21:01 am »

Lemmingball Z - If you don't know what it is, you're welcome.

Watched up until the middle of the Buu Saga or so, then I lost interest. I liked DBZ enough I spent a good couple years learning to draw DBZ characters. It still kind of influences anything vaguely anime I try to draw today. Once learned, it's hard to unlearn.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 02:37:46 am »

Lemmingball Z - If you don't know what it is, you're welcome.

Watched up until the middle of the Buu Saga or so, then I lost interest. I liked DBZ enough I spent a good couple years learning to draw DBZ characters. It still kind of influences anything vaguely anime I try to draw today. Once learned, it's hard to unlearn.

Just played a few games of this with my brother--it's really, really great. All Dragon Ball games should have destroyable environments. Also, squee'd when I saw Son Bra.

Anyway, I can understand losing interest during buu :P It drags.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 03:40:29 am by Putnam »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 06:06:36 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Did somebody say DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2013, 06:17:51 pm »

I thought there were nine dragonballs.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2013, 06:19:44 pm »

I thought there were nine dragonballs.

nope

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 03:23:31 pm »

Honestly I liked GT... It felt like a return to the original Dragon ball formula and I was happy for the dive into the Retro especially since Dragonball Z eventually stopped having adventures.
Pages: 1 [2]