Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Road Questions  (Read 650 times)

N0ught

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Road Questions
« on: February 24, 2007, 11:18:00 am »

So the wiki says in order to have a proper road it must be 3 spaces wide and unbroken from the edge of the map to the trade depot - and if the depot is inside your fortress you have to detail the floor the rest of the way...

So, I know this is kind of a dumb question, but: will a bridge between still allow the road to count as "unbroken", even if it is  a drawbridge (at the gate of the castle, for instance)? I assume so, but I just  want to verify.

Also, is it possible to get a dwarf to re-assume construction of a road, once they have abandoned it? Should I disable everything but "Architecture" under his labor preferences?

(Roads and bridges should really be selectable with the "q" command, you know... I'm sure this has already been suggested.)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Road Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 11:24:00 am »

The bridge counts as long as it is in the 'down' postion, as far as I know. From what I've read, you've got to make sure that you don't raise the bridge at any time when the cavaran is on the map - it will break the pathing, causing the merchants' wagons to suicide and the merchants themselves to head home.

Roads and bridges are selected with the 't' button.

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 03:07:00 am »

While we are on subject of roads. Tolls and NPCs traveling along dwarfbuilt roads.

qwip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 10:10:00 am »

Yes, you can have the dwarves resume the road building. (Hit to toggle off the uspended job.)
also check out the wiki article on roads. I wrote a section about how roads often become the first major bottleneck in your fortress' supply chain. Understanding what makes roads difficult to build from a supply chain point of view will help you optimize your entire fortress as it gets larger.
qwip

Efficiency is intelligent laziness

Uppa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 01:33:00 pm »

You can select the road using "T" instead of Q to resume construction. If Q doesn't work for something, T generally does.