Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting back to the "what they want" screen  (Read 943 times)

Zack Weinberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zwol.livejournal.com/
Getting back to the "what they want" screen
« on: October 04, 2007, 07:16:00 pm »

Once it's gone by, is there any way to see again the screen that shows what a caravan's trade representative would like you to produce for next year?  I can't find any.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
Re: Getting back to the "what they want" screen
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 07:40:00 pm »

Yes, I believe press [c] for the civilizations screen, select the civ, then [tab] to the "trade agreements" part. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 09:28:00 pm »

Pretty sure that's right.

Note that there is no penalty for not making it, and the only bonus is slightly increased prices when you sell them. Considering you can churn out enough grey rock mugs in a year to buy out the whole cavern with even a dabbling stonecrafter I wouldn't worry about making what they want (or wasting the metal).

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Zack Weinberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zwol.livejournal.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 09:29:00 pm »

quote:
...press [c], select the civ, [tab] to the "trade agreements" part...

I see this:

quote:

Staddatpesor, "The Watchful Confederacies", Human

Trade Agreement (Imports from Fikodeshtan) 1060
Trade Agreement (Exports to Fikodeshtan)   1060

but neither trade agreement is selectable.  The arrow keys make the top "Imports" line appear and disappear, +- do nothing, and Enter does nothing.

(A nice bit of humor if one selects the kobold civilization and tabs to the export/import screen:

quote:

Exports to Fikodeshtan: Petty Annoyance
Offerings from Fikodeshtan: Death

hadn't seen that before...)

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 10:16:00 pm »

Ah, well, I guess you can't see it then. Humans generally want weapons, though, so you can make some obsidian swords, or crossbows, and maybe you'll get lucky. They'll come around next year with a different demand and you can try again. But like BurnedToast said, there's not much point currently. They still bring pretty much anything you request.

I usually just request a variety of foods and plants (for booze) to get some extra happy thoughts. Otherwise you can make everything yourself.

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 08:25:00 am »

I tend to disregard the puny human requests for more weapons of war and create whatever I'm good at creating.

For starters, I always bring a craftsdwarf with a proficient weaver status to create lots of -, + and * cave spider silk goods for the caravans. Bone bolts are also a frequent trade good of mine, since they can readily be churned out by most forts, in addition to being used as practice marksmanship, and can fill the gaps early on. Don't forget to creat a totem for every set of bolts, to prevent stockpiles from filling with skulls.

The easiest way to produce trade goods though is to have a dwarf get moody in something other than masonry or carpentry (which produce HEAVY things). Then produce what he's good at. For example I recently had a dwarf get armor moody, and a =bronze chainmail= brings 1500 trade value.

Using these methods, I almost always have enough trade goods for at least the first two or three caravans from the one weaver/bone carver alone. Normally after that at least one dwarf has gone moody and he gets to churn out whatever he mooded in.

P.S.   NO CATS. but dog? Finger Lick'in Good

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 12:29:00 pm »

no offense but weaver and clothesmaker are the 2 worst skills to train up. once they get high ranked and start makeing masterworks they will start tantruming once the masterwork clothes decay.

IMO best is stonecrafter - you will always have more grey stone then you know what to do with, it's worth the same as basic cloth, and while the good weight more it's not that big of a deal. make mugs for trade and instruments/toys to get rid of stone.

bone carver is a very close second, I'd say it is best but I always seem to get bone carver moods and end up with several legendaries without trying. Also mostly bone gets used for bolts, which gets used to train marksdwarves and so quality does not really matter so much.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 05:33:00 pm »

I like to make silver weapons for training (they have crummy damage), and the merchant caravans always LOVE them.  Why sure, we're done bashing each other with these silver swords, why don't you take one in exchange for everything you own?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 08:21:00 pm »

He said to train a weaver FOR THE TRADE GOODS, not for the cloth.

Trading masterpieces is perfectly safe.

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 08:25:00 pm »

I'd forgotten cloth crafts came from the craftshop (even though they use clothesmaking) so it shouldn't be too hard to restrict them away from that shop. I had imagined the legendary accidentally making some clothes and they get snatched up by a dwarf before you can set them to be traded.

still I don't see the advantage over plain old rock mugs. rock mugs are actually worth slightly more (they come out 3 at a time ever time, where crafts sometimes spit out only 1 or 2) and help clean up your fort.

oh well, if it works for you go with it I guess.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 08:41:00 am »

A legendary stone crafter is incredibly useful: He can make masterpiece obsidian short swords.

That's 266 slash damage with 1 crit boost and almost always used by a legendary swordsdwarf (if skill=competent or above, masterpiece results in legendary skill).

quote:
I had imagined the legendary accidentally making some clothes and they get snatched up by a dwarf before you can set them to be traded.

Oops, didn't think of that. However, I was saying "legendary weavers are fine" not "legendary tailors are fine," so it doesn't matter.

[ October 06, 2007: Message edited by: Savok ]

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!