Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why isn't dwarf fortress open-source?  (Read 20829 times)

adityarajbhatt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Why isn't dwarf fortress open-source?
« on: March 31, 2013, 08:51:18 am »

I read toady's interview which said that he wanted to keep the game closed source as long as bay12games was financially stable. I didn't understand it. Does he want to commercialize the game when it comes out of alpha and subsequently, beta? Or was it just to prevent forks which fragment the already (relatively) small (though devoted) userbase?

If its commercialization then just tell me and close this post. However if its to keep the game under control, why doesn't he adopt the linux model of development, where he could be the head and decide what goes into the game (has the final say). People would send him all sort of ideas and patches and it would really reduce his workload and speed up development. It won't just reveal bugs more efficiently, but proficient programmers could build fixes and send it to him. Since he already develops the game through donations, it won't make a (negative) difference if he simply releases the source code. Grateful people won't evaporate overnight. In fact donations would only increase if programmers see the wonderful logic and methods built in the game. I've seen the loyalty of this fan base, and its unlike anything else, except perhaps Linux or Google fanatics. This community could trash minecraft in a second on that front.

Also the complexity of the game leads to the base consisting of much more mentally agile people who understand the principle of giving money for something they're receiving so generously. So if the code is released everyone wins. The question of why not remains.

P.S- I've already trawled the web for any page where toady one elaborates on his reasons, but sadly I couldn't find anything except that it seemed "too reckless".

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Why isn't dwarf fortress open-source?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 09:15:45 am »

Welcome to the forums.

This topic has been very thoroughly discussed in the past, and bringing it up again is just asking for trouble.

Or was it just to prevent forks which fragment the already (relatively) small (though devoted) userbase?
As I recall, this was the main reason. He's also been somewhat worried about projects such as DFHack which have been reverse-engineering parts of the game, fearing that it may lead to somebody cloning the game and stealing his userbase.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 09:18:17 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 01:35:13 pm »

DF is toady and (as far as I know) threetoes only source of income. Toady has pretty clearly stated the DF is unlikely to go open source until his death, at which point he's planning to put the DF release in his will. He's actually joked about fearing for his life, should that happen.

In addition, the DF code is probably a horrible, tangled mess of lettering indistinguishable from a foreign language that nobody quite understands. It would take years to get any new employees up to date on what the code does, and that would probably result in a total overhaul. It's not really worth the effort.

Does he want to commercialize the game when it comes out of alpha and subsequently, beta? Or was it just to prevent forks which fragment the already (relatively) small (though devoted) userbase?

Dwarf Fortress is one of those games that might not ever come out of alpha. Like most roguelikes, there's no clear development stage. There will never be a point when DF is in a finished, polished version (unless we put Toadys' brain in a robot so that he can keep coding until the universe explodes).
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Lasander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 03:00:11 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is Tarn's baby. He has turned down commercial offers in the past because he did not want to lose control over his project. It's the same reason he is so reluctant to allow other programmers in.  He is afraid the other programmers will create code he doesn't understand and thus be forced to rely on that programmer.  This is what happened with the OpenGL code.

His dream is to create a game he would want to play and he has big ideas on what his dream game is like.

There are many interviews available on his links section on the main site and he does a df talk from time to time. Also he has done a Q&A on reddit so I don't understand how you could not find any information whatsoever on his goals and intentions regarding dwarf fortress.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/links.html
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_talk.html
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1avszc/im_tarn_adams_of_bay_12_games_cocreator_of_dwarf/

In fact donations would only increase if programmers see the wonderful logic and methods built in the game.

Haha, wonderful logic...  Tarn has said multiple times he is not a professional programmer and he is not familiar with even the names of various programming practices.  He is learning as he goes.  He is doing a damn good job at creating something beautiful despite not really knowing what he is doing which is something many programmers who do know what they are doing fail at.  Creativity and persistence goes a long way.
Worship!

Lasander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 03:00:51 pm »

EDIT: Double Post.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 03:03:02 pm by Lasander »
Worship!

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 10:22:03 pm »

>Putting Toady's brain into a robot so it can code until the universe explodes

"Toadybot reporting for duty, main directive: Code Dwarf Fortress. Beginning function"

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 02:53:05 am »

I was thinking. Maybe we could let Ninja Theory have a go with DF, you know, to speed up the process a bit. or maybe EA could do it I mean, if EA bought Dwarf Fortress it'd be great, right it's not like anything bad could go wrong right? Not like Westwood or Maxis or Dice or...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 03:20:23 am »

He's actually joked about fearing for his life, should that happen

His will also says that the source code would not be released should he be murdered

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 08:25:55 am »

I was thinking. Maybe we could let Ninja Theory have a go with DF, you know, to speed up the process a bit. or maybe EA could do it I mean, if EA bought Dwarf Fortress it'd be great, right it's not like anything bad could go wrong right? Not like Westwood or Maxis or Dice or...
EA buy's DF... Thanks for giving me nightmares.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 08:48:45 am »

This very scenario is why the box was invented.

adityarajbhatt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 11:28:58 am »

DF is toady and (as far as I know) threetoes only source of income. Toady has pretty clearly stated the DF is unlikely to go open source until his death, at which point he's planning to put the DF release in his will. He's actually joked about fearing for his life, should that happen.

In addition, the DF code is probably a horrible, tangled mess of lettering indistinguishable from a foreign language that nobody quite understands. It would take years to get any new employees up to date on what the code does, and that would probably result in a total overhaul. It's not really worth the effort.

Does he want to commercialize the game when it comes out of alpha and subsequently, beta? Or was it just to prevent forks which fragment the already (relatively) small (though devoted) userbase?

Dwarf Fortress is one of those games that might not ever come out of alpha. Like most roguelikes, there's no clear development stage. There will never be a point when DF is in a finished, polished version (unless we put Toadys' brain in a robot so that he can keep coding until the universe explodes).

As far as I know, the only way he makes money is through people who make donations after downloading the game for *free*. People won't just stop doing that, would they? In fact open sourcing it would only increase everyone's respect for him. But yeah, if the codebase is a mess, he should probably clean it up in some huge block of time before sharing it.

As for stealing the userbase through some clone, that's a pretty forgone conclusion, given the popularity that Tarn Adams has achieved. Thanks for your replies everyone.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 02:48:30 pm »

OH GOD IF EA BOUGHT DWARF FORTRESS... Worlds would be 50x smaller, you would have to pay for more migrants, you would have the be online the entire time to play, you would have to sell you soul to the devil(Okay maybe not that...)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 02:59:26 pm »

OH GOD IF EA BOUGHT DWARF FORTRESS... Worlds would be 50x smaller, you would have to pay for more migrants, you would have the be online the entire time to play, you would have to sell you soul to the devil(Okay maybe not that...)
Didn't you get the memo? EA's banned from hell. Too evil.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 03:33:07 pm »

How do you figure making the source code available would increase everyone's respect for him?  It's not as if all projects are improved by releasing the source code, some just aren't appropriate to create that way and get worse if you try.  Nor is doing it wrong on purpose because people keep asking you to a big respect winner, if anything it loses respect from people who value integrity and courage.  Are you just thinking Open Source Everything At Any Cost zealots == Everybody, or at least Everybody Who Matters?  They aren't.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 04:42:34 am »

From what I've gathered from the hundreds of times this question has come up, it basically boils down to Dwarf Fortress being Toady and Three-toe's project - they don't want it forked, they don't want contributions, they don't want people insisting that the way so-and-so did it is better or that they should add so-and-so's feature, etc.
By making the source code public, they would invite a lot of criticism, and "suggestions" from other programmers, and be put under pressure to meet other people's visions of what the game should be - if they don't, then a fork of the game could usurp the main branch and strip toady of what is essentially the result of his seemingly endless strange mood (to put it in DF terms).

Basically, this is toady's masterpiece, and he wants it to remain his. Open sourcing it during his lifetime would put that at risk, and while it may not be likely, there is a chance that he could essentially lose everything he's worked so hard to create once other people are free to modify and criticize.

Dwarf Fortress has never been about the money, so arguing that donations would increase is pointless - If it was about money he has had opportunities to monetize the game before. The fact that it is still after all this time based on donations is a testament to his devotion to the dream, regardless of the financial payoff. 

Edit: And I'm saying this as someone who is very much in favour of free software - personally, I would love it if DF were re-licensed under the GPL, and I'm sorta hoping that toady will do something like this in his will, but as long as he's still able to work on it, he has his reasons for keeping the code closed.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 04:48:08 am by Jenniretta »
Pages: [1] 2