Advanced search  

Poll

What is our next course of action?

Colonize the HFS
Flood the HFS with more undead birds
Both
What is the HFS?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Silentthunders - We have struck spoilers  (Read 24076 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Silentthunders - My not so completed Megafortress
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 05:21:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Quarry goes below magma sea level at odd intervals, if I can cut through it all then the project'll be a total success. The platforms are all held together at the very top by a single floor connected to the rampway that's got a support holding an unsupported constructed pillar above it.
That support, linked to a lever in the first Quarry layer when triggered, will fail dropping the pillar onto the constructed floor beneath, unsupporting every floor that relied on it [causing boom].

I've really got to find out how to record DF things, it's going to be a suitably explosive way to complete a megaproject.
Subterranean Fortress within a Fortress complex underneath a fortified cavern. It's 4zlvls high of tunnels, cavern stalactites and stalagmites merged into one building and of course, doors. The pillars at the front were carved from natural stone ones, smoothed and carved into fortifications to ensure line of sight and fields of fire. One child sadly died in the deconstruction of the scaffolding [do not deconstruct from below, not safe] and it was there I found you can shoot crundles through a fortification with sufficient application of crossbow.
Top level of cavern layer 2's Fortress complex. Tunnels designed to screw with the minds of adventurers and look pretty. They lead to observation towers [being constructed to map the caverns unknown that are flooded with water/probably infested with FBs judging by the ashes]. Some lead to more sections of Fortress in the lower caverns or the magma forges. A central staircase connects the entire subterranean Fortress complex with the Quarry prison that in turn leads into the Great Halls. If you're still following this, imagine how much Fun it was planning this out.
Level below that.
Fortified level below that.
There are no lakeward Fortifications, the only way to access the tunnel that leads to the Quarry is through one of the ramps that go into the field in front of the sole southern Fortifications. The Fort was built on top of a lake and divided it in two, but everything underneath always has access to the surface through a rather strange ring of ramps surrounding the paved fields.
If you caught sight of the mud crocodile caged within trees you get 1☼.
Aforementioned ramps. Tunnels sprout up just about everywhere to the point where I've gotten hazy about where most of them lead. The level below has a drainage system that pours the lake through into tunnels lined with cage traps. It's not very effective with a low pressure lake though.
That rather fortunate choke point covered by a single pillar and a door is quite useful, just south of it is the Fort's local first line of defense. Baron Muthkat in his angry hunting time alongside the heroes Uvash, Likot and Vabok killed an unusually large crundle swarm and left the corpses for the evil to take. Now there's a zombie crundle swarm that keeps cavern critters away roaming the hills, it's a nice deal. They get food, the fort gets an early warning system that replenishes itself.
The first cavern layer, four layers encompassing the parts I consider owned by Dwarves is being smoothed. Still unfinished, but soon it'll be open to visitors [who are currently filtered out with doors and traps].
The Magma forges. So far only two casualties from angry burning creatures, so it could have been worse. The two edges where creatures could have appeared on this island are walled off with two steel walls, one 4zlvls high another smaller 3zlvl high one. In adventure mode you should be able to stare from either end of the caverns into the dark through those windows.
There is a Dwarf operated obsidian farm that is in working order [if a little bit unsafe] and with my growing confidence in pumping magma without killing everyone I'm considering pouring a flood of the stuff into those lakes to secure things up even more. The whole thing is currently secured with a steel lakewall [soon to be carved into fortifications + built upon further] and watchtowers carved from natural pillars. The plans are ambitious for this one, may even start another farm down there and create a new community if migrants arrive.
Of course all this progress underground has left little to be built above ground. One of the things to see some nice progress was the construction of rings across the moose pit to make what was once balcony into interior Fortification. The rings are a mix of slate blocks, marble/limestone blocks, steel, brass, black bronze, bronze, copper, silver and bismuth bars. It blings with Dwarven blood. As of now the Fortifications overlooking the surrounding area can only be accessed through a fortified central tower which overlooks the fortifications springing from within it. An unexpected side effect of expansive Fortress planning.
Stonesense is seeing the ghost of pets thrown into the moose pit. They're always there on the isometric viewer but never in game.
It is quite peculiar, but my Dwarves aren't unsettled by it so it's to be treated as just another glitch in the matrix.
Likot House has earned its name after the elite marksdwarf Urist Likot Lion Honestbronze fought a fire imp to the death; crashing his crossbow through its skull before dying of flame related injuries. This happened during the battle of the obsidian farm in a suitably heroic fashion amidst a flood of water, magma, fire and Dwarf.
His tomb is engraved with an image of himself on fire, living the way he died.
The screencap is of his burial by Fath, bringing him to his resting place. The crown of statues he wears are of Dwarves settling Silentthunders in the year 413.

What program did you use for the 3d shots? Visualizer?
Stonesense and Overseer. Though now my Fort's big enough to crash occasionally on overseer which is a shame.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 05:23:53 pm »

Holy SHEET.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 06:32:54 pm »

Looking good, I'd like to see it when it is done. :)

I've always wanted to do one which is why I usually go for flat embarks but my computer just wouldn't be able to handle something like that.

Well... that is one reason, the other is that I'm about as creative as a thrown brick.  :-\
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 06:38:14 pm by Sir Crashalot »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 07:20:44 pm »

Wow.  This fortress is beautiful!  How long have you been working on it IRL?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 01:48:06 pm »

Holy SHEET.
...Cotton or silk?

Wow.  This fortress is beautiful!  How long have you been working on it IRL?
It goes back all the way to around March 2012, I think. It's been a while :D

Looking, good, I'd like to see it when it is done. :)

I've always wanted to do one which is why I usually go for flat embarks but my computer just wouldn't be able to handle something like that.

Well... that is one reason, the other is that I'm about as creative as a thrown brick.  :-\
Creative block?
1. Look at other people's stuff.
2. Dwarf Fortress everything, add your own creative streak to it.
Humanity's history is a good place to look for ideas!
Also who's to say vertical can't be impressive? Tower of Babylon everything.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 02:39:02 pm »

Cabbage fibre.
Sig! Onol

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 09:05:40 pm »

Good work with that traffic designations, also, do you change your profile image every post?
In a time before time, I had a name.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 11:38:00 pm »

Good work with that traffic designations, also, do you change your profile image every post?
No, he wrote a script that changes the pic every time the site asks for it.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 12:03:07 am »

He used signavatar, I believe.
Sig! Onol

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 11:29:08 am »

He used signavatar, I believe.
Thanks, I guess I should put a Image here also...
In a time before time, I had a name.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 02:48:14 pm »

DFMA it or it didn't happen.

Nice to see someone else than I liking to build flat.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 07:27:40 pm »

Thank you Loud Whispers for taking the time to post this.
You have motivated me to start another fort.

"Likot House", the "room with the moose", and "the door" make me grin when I think about them.

Does the artifact limestone door have anything etched on it?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2013, 03:12:11 pm »

The lower levels excavated for the sea to flow in: The lever was ready.

[A section of the cavern has collapsed!]

16 pigs, sacrificed to the Magma sea and the caverns that fall into the heart of the Earth.

Clouds ablaze with light to greet the pigs that fly.

The Quarry was opened in a suitably spectacular way, but it wasn't uneventful. Something deranged happened and I'm not quite sure how to rationalize it.
The moment the Quarry was completed the 2nd Forge Master Urdim, legendary in all metalworking skills - just died. Dropped dead in full view of several Dwarves, among them soldiers, craftsdwarves and children. There was no blood, no combat reports, no announcements [beyond finding the body anyways] and no sign of any dangers that could have killed her. She apparently just laid down and died in the corridor by the Quarry, at the same time the pigs hit the cloud.
Memorials were ordered to be constructed and a tomb was built, just like any other Silentthunders' Dwarf deserved.

She came back. Her corpse, laden with muscle built up from a decade of forging and fighting leapt upon C. Fath, who had at this point become the Dwarf of choice for burials. Fath was hit once in the shoulder, breaking every bone, then thrown down a flight of stairs. Fath's turmoil would be ended when Urdim's corpse smashed Fath's skull inwards with her fists. During this fight Fath's wife tries to fend Urdim off with her pick, but is thoroughly battered away and dodges death with a near fatal hit to her skull. Kogan wards off Urdim's corpse as she flees towards the citadel, unsure of what has happened to her husband.
Zuntir Kortinan Titans shows up with a ☼steel warhammer☼ and promptly fixes the growing problem with a strike to the guts.
Business resumes as usual until Urdim leaps again to life and R. Lorbam is horrifically murdered with her own clothes.
Military Dwarves are stationed throughout the corridor but for no need, the corpses do not come back to kill after the second reanimation.

This would not be nearly as strange without finding out the fate of four boars and sows.
One was near-instantaneously killed by a steep drop onto the ramp. It came back to life twice and was killed by the military twice.
The second was thrown by the dust onto the ramp of the Quarry, escaping the magma cloud and the sea yet ultimately dying to a crushed skull caused by the fall.
The third had nearly every bone and nerve severed or smashed apart in what must have been a brief, painful death on impact.
The fourth was found limping its way uphill with injuries, fighting all the way.
It climbed its way back onto the platform.
I'm not superstitious about this stuff but the sole survivor has been moved into a safe pasture for fear of Kogan's life.
There is something in the Quarry that demands transcendence.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 07:07:56 pm »

So I realized my Fort's been at siege for a decade now, still ongoing.

When Splint made this statement:
A forest infested with undead elves sounds like it'd make for a good backdrop in a fantasy story actually...
And it made me realize what the connection between zombie Elves, necromancers and evil forests was.

Here is how I best explain what Dwarf Fortress has just created:

Engraved in the wall

The forest is considered cursed by locals. It rains blood and all the trees are dead. The corpses rise when they are left in those forests, and the corpses seek the living to spread their death. Occasionally corpses leave the cursed soil and attack local towns and settlements, but in doing so gain the risk of dying a permanent death.
For everything that stays within the Forest, all that is dead stays living forever.

Surrounded by these forests, enclosed within a Mountain pass a Dwarf Fortress stands.
The curse touches this Fortress, just a tiny pinprick - and so the Forest vies with this construction for supremacy. Unkind rolling clouds of black ravens with claws and maws that tear the skin and flay the muscle of everything without shelter scour the ground from the skies with the same vigor as they attack, even as a volley of bolts is made airborne against the approaching storms.

Dwarven merchants make their way to this Fortress, passage made safe by the vigilance of the Mothers and Fathers of Silentthunders. They see the masterly-crafted statues, the death-dealing weapons and the strength of the Metropolis builders within. This is a good Fortress.
Human merchants make their way to this Fortress, hired mercenaries guarding those opportunistic fellows. They see the bright metal gilding, travel the metal-wrought roads and see the chaotic sprawl of workshops with Dwarves within, producing goods with no peerage. This Fortress must be divine.
Elf merchants make their way to this Fortress, safe traveling with their animal companions - Giant Desert Scorpions protect these visitors. They see the stony surface and think of the lost forest, they lament. But they also see the tapestries and the vestments so skillfully weaved and sewn that it put their own wares to shame, and when the Dwarves show them the sanctuary with the Old Willow by the brook, they think perhaps these Dwarves are different.
Kobolds sneak their way to this Fortress. It reminds them of a cave, but different. Not rough. Kobolds know there are gems inside. They see.
Goblin raiders make their way to this Fortress, they sneak their way past the cursed Forest's dangers. The walls they see do not appear so high, but the Fortress is large and even the Fortifications betray no secrets within, those open windows covered with shutters, portals and doors. They see only defences and Dwarves. They attack one Dwarf, and are surprised to see this Dwarf fend off their colleagues with a devilishly sharp spear. They flee when they hear the sound of more Dwarves coming. They see the fine cloaks hiding the shining steel - there is something valuable worth defending in this Fortress.

Necromancers make their way to this Fortress.
They bring with them hundreds upon hundreds of Elf corpses to this Fortress. They march and they fight, row upon row of terrified Dwarves carrying whatever weapons are at hand vaulting along the walls and charging the massed ranks of corpses. Broken and with their Necromancer vanguard destroyed, the Necromancers plan.
They scout, they search and they do it themselves. Corpses cannot sneak as good as they, who have unlocked the secrets of life and death itself.
They do not hear the gates close behind them.

Many years later, the Necromancers who fought the Fortress lost and died. But the Elf corpses remained, waiting for their masters to return.
Year after year, waiting for them to return.
Without their masters, they do not die forever. The forest keeps them animated. Elves twitch, swaying and standing on spot.
Some begin to... Feel? They look for their masters. They feel lost.

"THE DEAD WALK! HIDE WHILE YOU STILL CAN! SEND ALL MARKSDWARF UNITS TO THE WALLS! WITHDRAW ALL GUARDS TO THE COURTYARDS, AXELORDS AND HAMMERDWARVES TO THE COURTYARD!"
They walk towards the noise.
They are hit by something cold. They feel cold.
For the first time in a century they try to breath a sharp intake of air through broken lungs, surprised that they feel; surprised that they close their eyes.

One Necromancer sits in the darkness. She wonders if this is the Dwarves' way of a joke.
She has sat there for half a decade, it feels like more. She sits around so many corpses, she wants to make them live. But she can't, she cannot make the gestures needed to do so. She won't die here, she learned the secrets of life and death.
She thinks so anyways.
They fed Zuglar to a giant Scorpion and Asmel fell into a Winter's pond. Secrets did not save them.
She wonders if she has failed her children, if she cannot save them.
She sees the Dwarves close the door behind them as they finish hauling a new carcass into the pile.

The Dwarves stood around one moving Elf head. It twitched, still moving. It had been knocked clean off by a steel bolt, easily severing the frigid and worn tendons keeping it on its body. It moved towards the Dwarves surrounding it. Where once panicked workers stood carrying all manners of equipment of various metals, bones and woods - now elite Lords and heroes of war, industry, family and discovery stood clothed in brilliant raiment and impossibly strong armour, perfectly wrought to deflect the blade of any ordinary foe.
The head twitched again. Was it trying to move? Was it trying to bite at their shining toes? To Kivish, small child Kivish, it looked like the head was trying to speak. It had no voice.
Nil Erith, the chief hammerer and Professor on defence against the supernatural scolded Kivish, picking up the cadaver's head by the end of Akrul's spear.
"Don't be scared small one, this is no bogeyman, though it may be a night creature. They are simple-minded creatures, they know only the basest of instincts. They can't hurt you, not as long as we have weapons in our hands." Erith said, waving the head around.
Kivish was going to say he wasn't staring because he was scared, but by then Erith had already split the Elf's skull into shattered pieces beneath his warhammer.

The elf wasn't hungry anymore. He thought he was, but he really wasn't. The forest reminded him of something.
There was another forest, another time.
There was another time.
Looking down, he realized he was naked. His copper skin was frayed with patches of black, where disused organs imitated their once useful state.
The other Elves stopped fidgeting. They looked at him.
He looked back at them.

The world had heard the tales. The goblins spoke of a vast clearing in the spidery forest, with a legendary outpost guarding a path to the center of the Earth - filled with riches beyond anything ever witnessed. The Elves on their journey spoke to the assembled tribes of wonders not made by nature, legendary craftsdwarves who lived above ground in stone halls, carved not out of a mountain, but built from many smooth blocks and within it a sacred grove protected by old trees that keep the influence of the cursed lands away. Dwarven merchants boasted away that they had seen such wonders, of monumental constructs like battleaxes the size of a great stalactite looming over a bloody archway. The last outpost liaison of Eshomamud hushed the drinking halls with the reminder that the Fortress had not been heard from in many years.
Rich human merchants drank from each other's wares, showing off rings, ropes and strange mechanisms, their tales of these exotic trinkets' origins seemingly so unbelievable that it could only ever come from the tongue of an inebriated merchant. These rumours however, did prick the ears of a few odd individuals who by chance had been drinking beneath that same establishment's roof.
Why so few people attempted to visit this Fortress, many have their reasons.
Some say the Dwarves are selfish, who in their greed have angered the gods and cursed them to live forever in their halls alone. Others say that beneath the walls, everything is not as it seems and indescribable horrors lurk, hunting from the dark depths beyond the Earth and beyond the Universe of Forever. Most just say that no such  Fortress even exists, and that it's just a fantastic but otherwise unremarkable story to tell children of to make them dream.
Most telling of all, for the true reasons few venture to Eshomamud, is perhaps best seen from the Kobolds; those who spoke not at all of this Fortress, for they had no language to speak with.
If you were to find their caves and sneak past their myriad guards amidst their many stolen treasures, you might find a crude engraving on the wall. The specifics vary from cave to cave, but the skilled historian would find they all share some things in common.
The first is the Mountain that reaches the sky, standing atop the depths of some tunnel going deep below even the caverns. It is adorned with spikes and piles of radiant scribbles, painted many colours.
The second more oddly enough, are who stand outside the walls. These intruding figures are obscured from the mountain, and on close inspection look quite similar to one another, taking into account the skill of the Kobold who engraved it. Short, squat figures with sharp, ugly lines accentuating what looks like an attempt to convey muscle, with red hair and shaded skin painted in various dried ichors, and to make things more enigmatic these intruders do not look at all like the Dwarves engraved on the walls.
The heads of these intruders are most often enlarged by the Kobold artisans, with humourously large splayed out ears coupled with grave wounds showing these to be some peculiar demon or living Elf corpse.
They are depicted the same way on every engraving.

"The Elves are labouring."

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 11:32:41 pm »

Beautiful, truly.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5