Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Was this a "hidden fun stuff"... thing?  (Read 609 times)

kitsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Was this a "hidden fun stuff"... thing?
« on: October 05, 2007, 11:53:00 am »

Had something I had never seen before happen last night - I had a Kobold invasion!  Some message like "A pack of skulking filth has arrived" appeared, the game paused, and I was taken to a view on the far side of the outside river.  There I saw a pack of ~10 kobold (crossbow) archers lurking around some wild deer.

I treated the event like a goblin invasion and locked down the fort and set ballista orders, but something odd happened.  After I had looked away for a while I couldn't find the force again, and all that showed up at my door where a series of skulking filth?  It was a rather underwhelming assault   :roll:

This was my first game on a terrifying map though, so maybe this is normal for terrifying or worse maps?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Was this a "hidden fun stuff"... thing?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 12:22:00 pm »

I don't know if it was ever a 'hidden fun stuff' thing, but you are not the first person it has happened to.

I don't know what triggers it, but yeah kobolds attack like that sometimes. they won't siege your fortress, they just sit there and plunk away at people like the elves do. they kill anyone they can see, then hang around for a short while before they leave.

fortunatly it is very rare and they don't stay long. I've seen it happen twice out of 200+ game years played.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 04:34:00 am »

I've had them obliterate my dwarven caravan before.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 09:10:00 am »

On every map I had before my current one, I have always had a system that got the kobold theives killed before they could get away with anything, and never got this.

But on my current world, I had a bunch of deaths at the very entrance to the map (hit G then go left, thats the place) and many "valuable" items there from the deaths I never bothered gathering.  After about ten thieves appeared and instantly stole something from that pile of crud, I got my very first "Ambush!" (the event the thread starter talks about) ever.

This leads me to think that the success of the thieves can cause them to expand operations into ambushes.

kitsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 03:00:00 pm »

Sounds kinda hidden a sort of fun (in a twisted way) to me then:
Let kobolds steal some items an it will attract kobold gangs   :cool:

On a related matter I have been having problems with goblins lately. In my last two games after about the fifth year I'm lucky to get one caravan per year - I get sieges instead.  I my current game the goblins show up a little after the merchants, but in the last they showed up before and prevented their arrival.  Here is the question though: Does taking prisoners increase the number of sieges?

I've been using cage traps a lot recently and as a result I have gotten increasing numbers of POWs.  I had a nice magma-room I was using on them, but I had to turn off temperatures once I got over 100 citizens.  Now I just build their cage in my smallest tree farm and link it to the flood lever.  Anyway I continue to attract more invaders every season, and have even killed several Umans but still they come?