Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for your fort  (Read 4576 times)

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
Looking for your fort
« on: April 03, 2013, 07:50:05 am »

Hello!
I've been working on a tabeltop RPG adaptation of DF and I've got the first couple of test sessions played. Things being what they are, I'm currently looking for fort saves which would be used as the locations my players travel to. So please share your saves generously!

I'm looking for Town level forts or, preferably, smaller. I'd also prefer no more than the first cavern layer to be pierced and steel to not be produced yet.

As for mods - vanilla is best, new vegetation and animals are ok, everything else will be evaluated individually.

Priority goes to forts in temperate-warm, medium to high rainfall areas, though there's place for pretty much anything. Here's the map I'm playing on if you want to know what is where.

I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Looking for your fort
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 12:08:30 pm »

What constitutes a town-level Fort?

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 12:17:25 pm »

According to the wiki - 80 population with (at least) 4 out of 6 of these total jobs completed over a year;
Craft: 25, Metal: 25, Wood: 25, Gem: 10, Stone: 25, Food: 25.

So around a 2 year fort, if you want to get there as fast as possible. With a popcap at 50, you should be at town untill your children mature, as the City-level fort requires a population of 110, which, unmodded, should give you a 10-12 year timeframe, depending on the number of migrated children.

That said, this sounds fun. I'll see if I start a fort today, and try to make the fort design cool for PNP!
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 03:25:57 pm »

Hello!
I've been working on a tabeltop RPG adaptation of DF and I've got the first couple of test sessions played. Things being what they are, I'm currently looking for fort saves which would be used as the locations my players travel to. So please share your saves generously!

I'm looking for Town level forts or, preferably, smaller. I'd also prefer no more than the first cavern layer to be pierced and steel to not be produced yet.

As for mods - vanilla is best, new vegetation and animals are ok, everything else will be evaluated individually.

Priority goes to forts in temperate-warm, medium to high rainfall areas, though there's place for pretty much anything. Here's the map I'm playing on if you want to know what is where.

Could you share the details of the game once it's polished enough?
I and my friends are into that kind of thing lately, although only 2 of us (out of 4) are into Dwarf Fortress, so I guess we'd need to explain them quite a lot.

But, aside from its sheer detail, Dwarf Fortress isn't difficult overall - it's just very realistic with some good ol' cheap fantasy thrown in for a good measure.

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 04:56:48 am »

The rules currently are in Latvian, so there's that. But when I've polished it up a bit more, dealt with an exhaustion rewrite and such, then I plan to translate it.

According to the wiki - 80 population with (at least) 4 out of 6 of these total jobs completed over a year;
Craft: 25, Metal: 25, Wood: 25, Gem: 10, Stone: 25, Food: 25.

So around a 2 year fort, if you want to get there as fast as possible. With a popcap at 50, you should be at town untill your children mature, as the City-level fort requires a population of 110, which, unmodded, should give you a 10-12 year timeframe, depending on the number of migrated children.

This. Although more empirically - looking at your fort's name in [z] should give you the current level.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 05:58:41 am by Halceon »
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 09:06:19 am »

Hello!

This is an interesting project. Looking at your map, I was wondering whether this map is something you drew up or whether you actually genned a world in DF to use for your game. If the latter is the case, I suggest that you simply upload the save and invite people to create their fortresses there. This might make it easier for the forts to fit in.

Yours,
Deathworks

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 09:34:36 am »

Although this may derail a bit from the purpose of your thread, I think it is worth asking what the ruleset for your RPG system is based in. One good method of determining what a roleplaying system emphasizes is how tasks are resolved (or otherwise, how do you roll to determine outcomes?).

A good example that comes to mind is d20, which tends to lend itself to combat-heavy systems, as many d20 systems determine outcomes in a very binary method; hit or miss, success or failure.

Of course, there is a lot more to a roleplaying system than that, but this should give you an idea of what kind of questions I am asking, and perhaps you should ask yourself as well.

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 04:52:02 pm »

Hello!

This is an interesting project. Looking at your map, I was wondering whether this map is something you drew up or whether you actually genned a world in DF to use for your game. If the latter is the case, I suggest that you simply upload the save and invite people to create their fortresses there. This might make it easier for the forts to fit in.

Yours,
Deathworks

It's a genned world, but I think I accidentally discarded the world after exporting. So, yeah, that's not gonna happen. Besides, I want some narrative leeway with the exact whereabouts of important locales.

Although this may derail a bit from the purpose of your thread, I think it is worth asking what the ruleset for your RPG system is based in. One good method of determining what a roleplaying system emphasizes is how tasks are resolved (or otherwise, how do you roll to determine outcomes?).

A good example that comes to mind is d20, which tends to lend itself to combat-heavy systems, as many d20 systems determine outcomes in a very binary method; hit or miss, success or failure.

Of course, there is a lot more to a roleplaying system than that, but this should give you an idea of what kind of questions I am asking, and perhaps you should ask yourself as well.

I didn't base it on any established system. At least not that I know.
My main intent was to base the rules around a combat system where getting hit is pretty much the worst thing that can happen in a fight. To that effect I have dynamic initiative, defender's choice of manouver and stamina as an important modifier. To make it more dwarfy there's 15 hit locations on a basic dwarf, 2-4 layers per location and penetration modifiers due to armor material, weapon material, weapon quality, armor quality and tissue type. As it stands, hits are dangerous, hindering and heal very slowly.
I generate my random numbers with 2d8, which makes for a nice bell curve. In this way severed limbs, hits to the head and feet, as well as masterful crafts are pretty rare.
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

kleril

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm the guy who sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 07:23:20 pm »

This is a really cool idea! I'll post my fort save once I get 'er developed enough. Care to expand more on the mechanics of your adaptation & what you hope to gain from our forts (aesthetically, and how they fit into the world)?
"Obsession and despair take hold as you fail to recapture a fantastic sensation that you had for a moment but is now gone."

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 10:49:42 pm »

I didn't base it on any established system. At least not that I know.
My main intent was to base the rules around a combat system where getting hit is pretty much the worst thing that can happen in a fight. To that effect I have dynamic initiative, defender's choice of manouver and stamina as an important modifier. To make it more dwarfy there's 15 hit locations on a basic dwarf, 2-4 layers per location and penetration modifiers due to armor material, weapon material, weapon quality, armor quality and tissue type. As it stands, hits are dangerous, hindering and heal very slowly.
I generate my random numbers with 2d8, which makes for a nice bell curve. In this way severed limbs, hits to the head and feet, as well as masterful crafts are pretty rare.

That sounds interesting and dwarvenly complex enough. So how do you handle character progression, skill levels, etc? What modifier is given for a higher skill in a given combat skill, etc. I'm just picking your brain here, and you can let me know if it's too much.

On the other hand, this does give me the idea for such a homebrew system where success is a variable outcome rather than a binary. Perhaps in such a system, an attack might be resolved by a number of d6s based on how much higher the relevant combat skill is versus the opponent's defensive skill (where equal or lower offense skill results in a 1d6). Add up relevant modifiers such asquality advantage, etc. Success may be determined by rolling a suitably high number on any one individual die (4, most likely, though 5 could also work as a target number).

Each success then gets tallied up to its own pool of dice to roll severity of effect. Effect severity then, of course, gets reduced by armor, if superior material or quality. After all that, the remainder of the effect roll determines the resultant injury.

e.x. Urist McAxeDwarf swings his Steel Battleaxe at a goblin wearing iron armor. His axe skill is a 4, and the goblin's dodge skill is a 2. Urist rolls a 2d6 to determine the likelihood of a hit, and results in a 5 and a 6. 2 successes. He then rolls severity, a 2d6 because of 2 successes. 1 and a 6. 1 success, and because of material advantage, Urist's attack goes through. However, a 1 success is only enough to score a shallow cut on the goblin's shoulder.

Tally has been struck by a strange mood!

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 08:31:05 am »

Progression is a learn-by-doing system. Generally, every "full action" gives 5 XP in the specific skill. A full action is either one combat engagement or one unit of labor. Skills level up at 125*NextLevelNumber XP. The one exception to that is the initial level. 0 = never having tried the job at all. After getting at least 1 XP, the skill is at 1 (dabbling) and that XP point is counting up to level 2 (novice).

As for combat, the first roll is the defender's manouver, which is modified by opposed skill levels, manouver type, wound and exhaustion penalties, exceptional equipment quality, fortmaster's whim. If the defender fails, the attacker rolls 2d8 for hit location and 2d8 for penetration depth. The latter modified by weapon/armor material, attacker's strength, tissue type. On average that's a hit that deals one major and one minor wound to each of the top 2 layers. There's always a 1.5% chance of the hit doing no damage. And a 1.5% chance of pretty much destroying the limb.

The one thing notably absent at the moment is ranged combat.
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul